Snow Pass

ULCajunCruiser

So I've seen Snow Pass referenced in many of these threads as a good place to view wildlife, especially whales. But I can't seem to locate exactly where this area is. The best description I've seen is "a few hours north of Ketchikan". I can't find it on any map!!!

Can someone please help me?? How will I know when I'm there?? There must be a geographical description somewhere??? My northbound cruise is not till July 2016, but I like to do some research before hand.

TIA

Thanks, we will leaving Ketchikan at 3:00

First- ask your ship naturalist if you even sail this route.

If you do, then be out by, at least 8pm, staying out a couple hours. It normally takes about 6 hours to reach from Ketchikan- with it necessary to be out earlier. (I stay out from Ketchikan), Extremely scenic area irregardless, Snow Pass, is very distinct to me- but you won't know it, hopefully, the ship naturalist will be in a lounge to point it out. It is a narrowing area and a dog leg transit that the ship slows down to transit, leaving the pass through the left. At most it's 15 minutes. :) I ALWAYS see wildlife.

First- ask your ship naturalist if you even sail this route.

If you do, then be out by, at least 8pm, staying out a couple hours. It normally takes about 6 hours to reach from Ketchikan- with it necessary to be out earlier. (I stay out from Ketchikan), Extremely scenic area irregardless, Snow Pass, is very distinct to me- but you won't know it, hopefully, the ship naturalist will be in a lounge to point it out. It is a narrowing area and a dog leg transit that the ship slows down to transit, leaving the pass through the left. At most it's 15 minutes. :) I ALWAYS see wildlife.

Thank you very much, great information. I didn't know we were going to have a naturalist???

..... I didn't know we were going to have a naturalist???
If going on the Millennium, you will have one.

They give scheduled presentations in the theater, as well as answering questions and pointing out places of interest along the way.

If you are in your cabin, you can leave your TV on the ship's navigation channel to see your ship's location on the map as you cruise along.

So if your ship will be going through Snow Pass that day, you can see when you are starting to get close to it on the TV screen.

The ship's naturalist (who will usually hang out ahead of time in the big lounge up at the front of the ship on deck 11), will probably go outside and climb up to deck 12 or 13, weather permitting, to point out wildlife as you go through Snow Pass.

Edited by varoo

They give scheduled presentations in the theater, as well as answering questions and pointing out places of interest along the way.

If you are in your cabin, you can leave your TV on the ship's navigation channel to see your ship's location on the map as you cruise along.

So if your ship will be going through Snow Pass that day, you can see when you are starting to get close to it on the TV screen.

The ship's naturalist (who will usually hang out ahead of time in the big lounge up at the front of the ship on deck 11), will probably go outside and climb up to deck 12 or 13, weather permitting, to point out wildlife as you go through Snow Pass.

That's awesome!!! Appreciate the info

I don't agree with waiting until you get "near" Snow Pass on the map. In my opinion, that is too late for the ideal. As I mentioned, the actual pass is only about a 15 minute transit. I have seen wildlife for miles outside of this area as well.