Not a fan of Belize

CruiseFan3035

I would go all the way back to Belize just to experience Goff's Caye again. Most beautiful place I've ever been. We were only there 3 hours but I plan on going back just for that place.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, gorgeous little spit and beach!

What my post said was "we pretty much know what to expect when you go into port". My point was the port itself was lack luster with nothing of interest to see. I never once said we wouldn't look into exploring with the right research or excursion. My issue is the port!

I stand by my reply. Totally disagree with Your description of Belize being one of the worst ports we've experienced (huge disappointment with a capital "H")! If you do indeed know what to expect from the port (the actual Belize port area as you clarified), why don't you "explore with the right research or excursion"? Why "advise" others to stay on the ship simply because you can't figure out what to do?!? Seems pretty lame to me...sorry!

[EDIT] If you don't care for Belize (the port area or the real beauty, or whatever) there's nothing wrong with voicing your opinion of course. But just don't advise others who haven't experienced Belize to stay on the ship. Certainly not very constructive or helpful advice in my opinion.

Edited by blue_water

While we do make the most of each port, I find it somewhat frustrating when you have to buy an excursion in order to see anything of real interest at certain ports. Belize happens to be one of them.

At one point in my cruise planning, I was very frustrated with the options in Belize, but once I did research off of CC, I realized that there really is quite a bit to do in Belize, and that a lot of travelers think it is an easy, cheap place to get around.

But the anti-Belize attitude on CC ends up being self-perpetuating. When someone who is confused about their options comes here and posts a question, they are often told "do a ship excursion or stay on the ship" whereas if you Google your options, read websites and blogs about Belize, ask questions on general travel boards/budget travel boards, etc. you will find very different answers.

I haven't visited Belize yet, but I'm excited to do so in January. We're going to take a cab (about $50) to the Belize Zoo ($35), then take the bus back to Belize City ($5) and walk from the bus station back to the ship. Much more reasonable than a ship excursion, and we get to do only what we want and do it at our own pace.

We are doing the Jade in Jan (I see others on here doing the same)

We would like to zip line, for sure, and even up for the combo with cave tubing.

Best to look for these excursions in Belize or Roatan?

Thanks

We did the cave tubing in Belize with Major Tom a few years ago and really enjoyed the beauty in the caves. We ziplined in Roatan with Pirates of the Caribbean and had a blast. The ziplines were so high that we got to see some beautiful sights. Great time!!

Belize is a Beautiful Place, I'm thinking about finding a teaching job and living down there. It's unbelievable to think that you have Paradise at your disposal. The Beaches, The Islands, The Jungles, The Caves, Maya Ruins, Waterfalls, Nature Parks, Protected areas and all of that just a short drive away no matter where you live in the Country.

Belize is also one of my favorite places to visit. But it is different than other ports. That is why I like it. It isn't a place to just get off the ship and find a beautiful beach type of port. But all the others are so it gives a different feel. There are the ruins, although they take awhile to get to, or snorkeling and you have to prearrange those, but this is also a great place to decide to do nothing but people watch. Especially if you are going to 4 ports on a 7 day cruise. I don't like shopping usually, but love it in Belize. Wandering around people watching, going outside of the port and listening to music, haggling with vendors, having a beer, watching someone peel a fresh, cold papaya to snack on. So even if you decide not to plan an excursion, leave the kiddos onboard, take the tender and just go with the flow. I am going back in a couple of weeks and decided to take the money I would normally use on an excursion and do some Christmas shopping. The Fort Street flea market is great for that. I will also just soak in the flavor of the place.

We are doing the Jade in Jan (I see others on here doing the same)

We would like to zip line, for sure, and even up for the combo with cave tubing.

Best to look for these excursions in Belize or Roatan?

Thanks

Hi Pooh/Tiger,

We leave for Cozumel, Belize, & Roatan in 2 weeks and I found that tripadvisor was a great source to look up information and companies. Especially if you aren't using the cruise ship excursions.

In Belize we decided to just do the cave tubing with lunch included. There are many companies and my top 3 were cavetubing.biz, butts up, charlies. We decided going with Charlies and its $45 with lunch included. Once we get back I can let you know how it was if you are interested. There are lots of reviews on here and they are all helpful.

I believe all the cavetubing companies also have zip lining options you can add on to your excursion. ;)

In Roatan we decided to book with Rony's Tour because we just wanted a freestyle tour... only thing we knew for sure we wanted to do was zip line... once again we went to tripadvisor and checked out the activities in Roatan and decided what worked best for us. I can also let you know how that went once we get back if you are interested.

Hope that helps :)

We almost stayed on the ship during our first visit last year. After some last minute research on this site, we decided to hop on a water taxi to Caye Caulker. We are SO glad we did! My wife laughs at me when I tell our friends, but I swear I almost shed a tear as the boat approached that place. The contrast between the deep blue water along with the turquoise water, white sand, green trees and blue skies was just absolutely amazing. Breathtaking for sure. Plus we had a blast on the island during our short visit. We liked it so much we are planning to return in January when in port on the Dawn. As far as the port goes, I thought it was fun enough for passing through. We don't spend much time in the actual port at any of our stops. But there were enough places to shop or grab a drink on the way to and from for our needs.

We almost stayed on the ship during our first visit last year. After some last minute research on this site, we decided to hop on a water taxi to Caye Caulker. We are SO glad we did! My wife laughs at me when I tell our friends, but I swear I almost shed a tear as the boat approached that place. The contrast between the deep blue water along with the turquoise water, white sand, green trees and blue skies was just absolutely amazing. Breathtaking for sure. Plus we had a blast on the island during our short visit. We liked it so much we are planning to return in January when in port on the Dawn. As far as the port goes, I thought it was fun enough for passing through. We don't spend much time in the actual port at any of our stops. But there were enough places to shop or grab a drink on the way to and from for our needs.

Did that seven years ago and haven't left:):):)

Now that OP has clarified they don't know anything about Belize itself and just hate the port. I would ask which country has a port that is better. The port itself in New Orleans for example offers nothing. How about Costa Maya, same thing, tourist trap at the port, but wonderful for exploring.

The port area at Belize is no worse than any other and is certainly better than many! For anyone that reads this in the future, listen to what the majority say and ignore anyone that swears off a location because of what they think about the port area and ignore the entire island!! Belize is a wonderful place!!!

Edited by rvsullivan

i have been to Belize several times, and highly recommend doing a excursion at this port, whether to the rain forest, the caves, the maya ruins, the little islands of Goffs Caye, Caye Caulker, its all so natural and beautiful, it so worth it, but staying on the dock and having a beer thats nice, could be done anywhere in the world..........

STU

• 2 weeks later...

I have to agree, I don't like this port. A few years ago we did a ship excursion to the ruins. The perimeter was heavily guarded by men with guns. Makes you wonder why so much security is needed? On our way back, our bus passed through several small towns. The people appeared to be annoyed by our presence, and we were "flipped off" by a few young men. When we commented on this, the tour guide just laughed it off. He stopped laughing when a man on a bike pulled in front of the bus and slowed down to the point where our guide had to brake. The tour guide said the man was just "joking around". Really? I'm watching him, flipping us off, and I don't see the joke? Honestly, I was worried it was a plan to stop the bus, and gain access. I will tell you, there's worry/fear of what's going to happen, then there's the fear you feel when you think you're going to have to protect your children. Obviously we are fine and some will say nothing would have happened because their economy relies on our money, or it could happen anywhere. Truth is, of all the places we've visited, this was the most frightened I've ever been. We have a cruise coming up, which stops in Belize, but we'll probably stay on the ship.

i have been to Belize several times, and highly recommend doing a excursion at this port, whether to the rain forest, the caves, the maya ruins, the little islands of Goffs Caye, Caye Caulker, its all so natural and beautiful, it so worth it, but staying on the dock and having a beer thats nice, could be done anywhere in the world..........

STU

Totally agree - beautiful area! Some folks just cannot enjoy themselves in certain areas/conditions because they're just too uptight and don't feel safe. After talking to fellow passengers after visiting ports like Belize I've found that some have expectations of being insulated more from the natural conditions (including the locals) and that would very much ruin or minimize the experience...

But due diligence by new visitors/new cruisers in researching these areas and taking the time to read reports from other more savvy travelers can be very helpful to newer visitors and hopefully guide them toward an excursion that they will talk about - in a very positive way - for years to come!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Went to Belize in October via the Glory. We were very impressed with the port renovations since our last trip. They now have a covered walkway ( white tenting material, looks lovely) along the water in front of each of the 4 or 5 "terminals". I found this cruise port to be more on par with the other ports on the Western Caribbean itinerary.

We have used Exotic Eco Adventures the last two times we were in Belize. They are a fabulous company with excellent reviews on Trip Advisor. Stacy was our group leader both times and she runs a tight ship. Lots of fun and only $50 a person.!

Also not a fan of the 'shopping village' near the port, it's not very interesting or attractive.

As soon as you leave the gated, guarded village, there are dozens of people who are desperate for your money--they offer hair braiding, rides, city tours, whatever....they are persistent and aggressive. When I finally got tired of saying "No thank you" and just said "NO!" one of the 'gentlemen' who was following us and badgering us said "Well, you don't have to be RUDE about it!" and I was like, "obviously, I do." because it's the only way to get them to leave you alone.

We finally asked a hair-braiding lady named Carol to help us find a certain shop, and she took us in hand and chased away the other people who were bothering us. She was very nice, and helped us find a few local places of interest, we walked downtown to the post office to get Belize stamps--very beautiful! and then took us to the oldest Emporium/general store in Belize. We bought cigars and local rum for DEAD cheap, also a really beautiful Avocado that the locals call "Pear". Then she took us to a bar that was run by her uncle or cousin and we had beers and they sliced our 'pear' for us and salted it. Yes, one of our party did eventually get a hair braiding session from Ms. Carol. We went to a local crafts market near the cruise village and bought actual hand-made items, along with $5 fresh coconuts that we could fill with as much rum as we liked. (rum being $5 a bottle at the emporium and coconuts being free, the street vendor was doing pretty well for himself)

After our adventures in Belize, Ms. Carol walked us back to port and we all gave her about $10-20 each person, which hopefully made her day profitable and still cost less than an excursion.

It was an adventure, and it makes a good story after the fact, but was a bit stressful at the time. I really don't think we could have walked downtown and back on our own without some local getting in our faces or doing us harm.

Not a favorite. I'd really like to see the Zoo, but the cruise line doesn't offer an excursion and I'd worry about being able to find a taxi back to the cruise port once we were done.

We were set to book the cave tubing until someone mentioned bats. I'm not sure why it didn't occur to us that bats are in caves, but I can't handle bats, so now I'm trying to find another excursion.That's why I like to check with CC to see if there are details that I've overlooked. I've found that taking an excursion, whether through the cruise line or a private vendor makes a big difference in whether you enjoy a port or are disappointed in a port.

The take away, or point, is that research is key in making a difference between an amazing day or a miserable day. Other than that things can happen that are not in our control, and we just have to realize that. Doesn't matter if you're taking a self-excursion or going with a larger group through the cruise line, do your due diligence and you will certainly not be totally surprised and feel you have to leave a negative report on Belize or any other port. So many of those are due to a lack of real research and ones expectations not being met...