Not a fan of Belize

CruiseFan3035

I don't know whether this will add to the Furor or diminish, but I've had three shootings within a few blocks of my home in the past fifteen years. In one someone was shot and wounded in my front yard (not only while I slept, but my dog as well - had to talk to him about that), one murder three blocks down (which I heard), and one shooting in a store I'd left a half hour previously.

Nonetheless my neighborhood is considered one of the safest in the city, tour buses come through all the time, and housing prices have doubled in the past five years.

But if any of these incidents had happened in a tour destination - end of the world. Stay in your cabin. In a bunker. Under your bed.

Anecdotes happen everywhere, and some of them are really awful. But what are the odds? Fact is I've walked at least once a day through my neighborhood for years and never been hurt, and I walk through the islands (including walks that "can't be done") and intend to continue doing so. I could catch a bullet in the spleen any time, as could anyone, but the odds are simply against it.

"Just an FYI"...lol

Some thrive on spreading bad news and irrelevant news on travel forums, and again folks simply need to use their good judgement to extract RELEVANT INFORMATION from these forums. We always hate to see someone start a thread like this because it simply doesn't provide any useful information to folks planning their day. Yes be educated on the destinations you plan to visit. But really cats04?????

Just a shame, and one may wonder about their intentions but one shouldn't...

Would love to see these threads closed when they get nuts.

• 2 weeks later...

We prefer the Western Itinerary with Belize and Roatan, some of our favorite places. We are water babies though, which is pretty essential for those ports. If you don't snorkel/beach etc. then you may not like them. Then there are the ruins for the history lovers.

Belize requires excursions, thats all, nothing else to do there but drink at the Lizard or shop. Not my cup of tea...but spending a leisurely day on a deserted atoll snorkeling to see the most amazing critters IS. Roatan has some of the most gorgeous beaches and water on the planet also. Lovely.

You have to venture out at these ports. Or stay on board and meet some neat people at the pool. We have done this itinerary 4 or 5 times, going again in April, can hardly wait. Redoing Goff's Caye at Belize, love it!

• 4 weeks later...

Well for those, like myself that have read up to here, there has been a lot of information shared on this thread. Aside from some bantering that got a little off the mark IMHO, there seems to be plenty to see and do here but not necessarily in town.

Several ports, most notably to me is Jamaica from our experience, have more aggressive vendors and it takes getting used to or it can definitely make you feel uncomfortable.

If people have a bad experience in a port I don't mind hearing about it, the same way I like to hear about the positives. Keeping things in perspective, I don't let one bad experience ruin 20 other very good ones but if I see a trend I keep that in mind when making my decisions on what to do or where to go.

• 2 weeks later...

Our first visit to Belize was 2 years ago, and we had planned a day on Caye Caulker; unfortunately, that morning was rainy and gloomy so we tanked our plans. We took the tender in to town, then found a local taxi rental who took us on a tour around Belize City then out to the Alta Hun Ruins. We enjoyed the day (of course by noon the sun was shining and it was a beautiful day!?!), our teenagers even enjoyed the ruins!

We're headed back to Belize in September, and i'm excited to see it again!! Hopefully the weather will cooperate this time and we'll be able to do some snorkling.

We have definitely found that there are good and bad experiences to be had on every Caribbean island, however when we have a good plan for the day, or a good excursion, we almost always have a blast!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Personal anecdotes do not equate to "research". That being said, we have interacted with the residents of Belize City and found them to be just fine. yes, some venders can be aggressive but that is very common in the islands. All things considered, I'd rather walk and get lost in Belize City than cities like Detroit, Miami, Chicago and several others.

I really don't understand why someone would speak (type) badly about a port solely based on the immediate port area. That's like flying into a major city and basing your opinion of the city on the airport. It makes absolutely no sense. Yes, there are ports that are, out of necessity, in a location that might not be conducive to also hosting a huge tourist area. That's life. Whether you buy a ship's excursion or pay for a cab to take you somewhere, you're still "buying" your day's excursion.

Belize is amazing! In all my years of traveling around the world, it is the most beautiful place I've visited. I tell everyone who is considering a cruise to try to book one that stops in Belize.

Our Carnival excursion combined cave exploring, a ride through the rainforest in an open-air vehicle, lunch prepared by locals, and a boat ride up the river back to the ship. (We're not the type who enjoys just sitting on the beach for hours and hours.) The people we met were beyond friendly - both from the tour company, as well as locals. Are there jerks in Belize? Yes. Jerks are everywhere. But by and large, Belize has a ton of things to do. If you're not willing to venture beyond the few blocks at the port, that's your own fault, not because the port itself isn't worth it.

All things considered, I'd rather walk and get lost in Belize City than cities like Detroit, Miami, Chicago and several others.

I've walked and gotten lost all over the islands. You just ask directions and people help you out. I've been given a lift in the back of a pickup truck. They may be poor, but there isn't that depth of misery you get in the States.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I think doing a ship excursion is key.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Key to enjoying Belize? Probably a better option for someone less experienced or who has concerns, but not for most folks.

We chose an excursion in Belize through the ship once, but that was because the operator picked us up from the ship to go to Goff's Caye, saving us a couple hours by not having to tender to and from port to meet a private operator. That left us plenty of time to shower and go into port after.

Otherwise we always do self-excursions, either on our own, or through a private operator.

Belize is beautiful, once you get past the port area. We have tubed, ziplined, gone to a private resort, and our last trip we took a 20 minute commercial flight over to Ambergris Caye. All of our excursions were booked privately except the resort. Give BELIZE ANOTHER CHANCE!

Key to enjoying Belize? Probably a better option for someone less experienced or who has concerns, but not for most folks.

We chose an excursion in Belize through the ship once, but that was because the operator picked us up from the ship to go to Goff's Caye, saving us a couple hours by not having to tender to and from port to meet a private operator. That left us plenty of time to shower and go into port after.

Otherwise we always do self-excursions, either on our own, or through a private operator.

Maybe I worded it wrong I meant that just doing any type of excursion is important to enjoying Belize. Walking of the ship and walking around the port will not be enjoyable. Paying to get away from the port is key to enjoying Belize.

Maybe I worded it wrong I meant that just doing any type of excursion is important to enjoying Belize. Walking of the ship and walking around the port will not be enjoyable. Paying to get away from the port is key to enjoying Belize.

Aah, sorry! Yes, you are right on! Thanks :)