Hilo

eyegirl

I've only been in Hilo once, and we went straight to Volcano National Park and did no shopping so I have no clue about shuttles. Is there one listed on your excursions offered for Hilo? There is usually a Port Shopping Seminar for each port prior to port day and I would think they could tell you if anyone could.

A quick google of Shopping in Hilo brought up lots of info. On one site it was noted that shuttles MAY be available to Walmart/Hilo Hattie's and the nearby Prince Kuhio Plaza ( about 2 miles S of the pier ) and the Farmers Mkt in downtown Hilo. Kuhio is your typical large mall, Sears, Macy's etc., so unless you are really shopping deprived where you live I can't imagine going there in Hawaii.

Your best bet sounds like downtown Hilo, which is along the bay, with lots of unique shops, galleries, museums, restaurants and cultural sites along with the Farmers Mkt on Wednesdays and Saturdays. The Market also has crafts, jewelry, etc. Downtown is @ 2 miles west of the port. If no shuttle, sounds like there may be a public bus for @$1 or taxi for @ $12-$16.

I've only been in Hilo once, and we went straight to Volcano National Park and did no shopping so I have no clue about shuttles. Is there one listed on your excursions offered for Hilo? There is usually a Port Shopping Seminar for each port prior to port day and I would think they could tell you if anyone could.

A quick google of Shopping in Hilo brought up lots of info. On one site it was noted that shuttles MAY be available to Walmart/Hilo Hattie's and the nearby Prince Kuhio Plaza ( about 2 miles S of the pier ) and the Farmers Mkt in downtown Hilo. Kuhio is your typical large mall, Sears, Macy's etc., so unless you are really shopping deprived where you live I can't imagine going there in Hawaii.

Your best bet sounds like downtown Hilo, which is along the bay, with lots of unique shops, galleries, museums, restaurants and cultural sites along with the Farmers Mkt on Wednesdays and Saturdays. The Market also has crafts, jewelry, etc. Downtown is @ 2 miles west of the port. If no shuttle, sounds like there may be a public bus for @$1 or taxi for @ $12-$16.

Thanks for the info! We've been to Hilo a few times before and done the "tour thing" so I felt like just hanging out and doing a little shopping :eek:

When we were there in September on Rhapsody the Farmer's Market ran their free shuttle and there are many little shops and places to eat in the area of the market. Just a word of warning they switch the free shuttle to a paid excursion van in the afternoons so you may have to take a cab back to the ship. That is what we did, I don't remember what the cab cost so it must have been cheap. :p

If you are looking for a good place to eat, walk about three block up to Kalakaua Street to the Moon and Turtle Cafe. Great food. They don't have a website but they do have a FB page. :)

On our last cruise (third Hawaiian one on Princess), we waited for the Walmart shuttle. Took a long time for it to arrive. At that time, there was also one for Hilo Hattie, but I've read that store has closed. It was pouring rain so maybe that was one reason there were long lines for both.

There's also a bus that goes all around Hilo (not in any linear line). You can google and get more info about the routes. The previous cruise we had taken a taxi from the Candy Factory (which we actually walked to from the ship -- I don't think my daughter ever forgave me for that) to the Prince Kuhio mall, and then took the bus to the waterfront area.

Probably the easiest (but not least expensive) way to get anywhere would be to grab a taxi at the cruise line terminal.

There is a "market" shuttle, which goes to the "downtown" area, VERY limited. Worthwhile to also include the Tsunami Museum. There is also the Walmart shuttle, which is also used by numerous people, can have waits, and not so organized boarding. :)

Go downtown to the bay front/farmers market area. It is fun for an hour or two to nose around the shops and eating places. Now that Hilo Hattie's has closed, there is no reason to take the Walmart shuttle unless you really need something from Walmart. This is not the most beautiful area of town.

• 4 months later...
Go downtown to the bay front/farmers market area. It is fun for an hour or two to nose around the shops and eating places. Now that Hilo Hattie's has closed, there is no reason to take the Walmart shuttle unless you really need something from Walmart. This is not the most beautiful area of town.

Where does cruise ship dock in Hilo? Is it close to the bay front/farmers market on foot or by bus?