Eight year old sea sickness

Erinchristine38

My eight year old daughter has never been on a boat. I purchased some kids dramamine but I heard it had side effects. We leave tomorrow morning do you think I should give her some in the morning before the boat or just see how she is.... This kid does not get sick from anything she goes on Rollercoasters and any other ride you can imagine. Is it sill of me to worry about sea sickness

I wouldn't give her anything unless she needs it. If she is not someone who is prone to motion sickness, then she will most likely be fine on the ship. If she was someone who gets carsick easily, then I would start her on something. If they say on the ship that they are going to hit rough seas, then I would give her one then so it can start working before she gets sick.

I believe kids are less prone to sea sickness that adults. I know I could stomach anything as a child but I'm much more sensitive now. I wouldn't give her anything unless you really think you need too. If she's hasn't felt unwell in rides etc before I very much doubt she'll have a problem unless it's very rough and ongoing.

My eight year old daughter has never been on a boat. I purchased some kids dramamine but I heard it had side effects. We leave tomorrow morning do you think I should give her some in the morning before the boat or just see how she is.... This kid does not get sick from anything she goes on Rollercoasters and any other ride you can imagine. Is it sill of me to worry about sea sickness

I would not say your worrying is silly, you do not want DD to have a bad experience with cruising or on a holiday. So it is good parenting consider potential problems. I think in this case you are thinking bad side effects vs seasickness. I think this worry is irrelevant as from your description of roller coasters etc. Seasickness is not going to happen with her. If you do not give any medication bad side effects will not happen either. Psychology would seem to suggest, do not even mention the issue to her if possible.

Regards John

At the age of 4 our son started to get severe car sickness so we expected he would be seasick on our last cruise, but he was absolutely fine. When we give him children's Dramamine before car rides he can have 1/2-1 tablet for his age/size and the only side effect when I give him 1 is he falls asleep within 5-10 min of the drive and is a little lethargic after. When he gets 1/2 a tablet, no drowsiness. I would think an 8 year old could take 1 tablet and probably not be all that drowsy. There may be other side effects, just not in our experience.

I also agree with taking a wait and see approach. Both of my kids had car sickness issues between 2 and 3. So I contacted their doctor about what to bring on a cruise and brought children's dramamine and benadryl. Since they hadn't had issues recently, I didn't give them anything in advance (I just wanted to have it on hand as children's medicines aren't always readily available.)

I do get seasick and wore a scopolamine patch. We hit very rough seas one night and I even with the patch I ended up going to lay down and unable to eat dinner . Other members of our party that have sailed before without an issue were also very ill. My kids were fine. I never gave them anything and they never had any issues. I think it's a great idea to bring the medicine with you. I wouldn't give it to her without a reason though.