New ship MS Spitsbergen to sail a modified Coastal Voyage itinerary

SarniaLo

Hurtigruten has recently bought a new ship (formerly MS Atlantida) to expand its Norwegian fleet, in particular to replace MS Midnatsol on the Coastal Voyage route when whe will be in Antarctica in winter 2016/2017.

The ship now has its new name : MS Spitsbergen, and it will sail along the Norwegian coast in a modified itinerary, completely tourist-oriented with an "expedition" vibe if I understand correctly :

http://www.hurtigruten.com/uk/Special-Offers/Norwegian-Coastal-Voyages/ms-spitsbergen/#highlights

Interesting concept, I'm waiting to see what the itinerary actually is (with the time in each port, for the moment the detailed itinerary doesn't look that different). I suppose this will be applicable during the month MS Midnatsol is actually in Norway, and MS Spitsbergen thus becomes an "extra" ship?

Edited by SarniaLo

• 2 weeks later...
I read somewhere, but can't find it now, that 3 or 4 of the older ships will be doing explorer voyages. And also read something about no nighttime ports of call. Hurtigruten is not the best at providing up to date info on their website.

I agree the information is not awfully clear. You have to play around with the different versions of the website from different countries.

As far as I understand, they are starting to give an "explorer" vibe to some of their ships, ad a test on some departures (MS Nordnorge departing 11/19, MS Nordkapp dep. 10/22 and MS Nordlys dep. 11/02).

I only found that information on the French website! I have also received a leaflet in the mail about this which gives a bit more informaiton.

http://www.hurtigruten.com/fr/Offres-speciales/Norvege/devenez-explorateur1/

Basically, it is exactly the same itinerary and schedule as other departures, but there will be some added activities : lectures, some additional excursions (mostly physical activities : hikes or kayak rides for instance). So these are not "explorer voyage" per se, just the standard voyage with an "explorer" twist.

The new ship MS Spitsbergen will have a different program altogether, and really "tourist-oriented", it will not be part of the daily coastal express schedule (so probably won't take cargo or port-to-port passengers?). I just noticed that the ship's new layout is now posted on the website:

http://www.hurtigruten.com/uk/Travel-planner/Ships/Hurtigrutens-Ships/ms-spitsbergen/ (see tab "decks and cabins"). The itinerary will roughly follow the "standard" one along the coast but with less stops (more time in port then?). This bit is still not very clear! ;)

The ship's interior design looks interesting and only 180 beds is appealing. I'm curious to see what they will make of that. It can be a good balance between the "discover Norway" cruise and the "cargo ship" cruise and could appeal to people who are not interested in the current Hurtigruten itinerary/ambiance.

I believe the spits will take the place of the midnatsol when it does the expedition cruises. In fact, it's now on the reservation calendar..

Yes, as I said in the first message, I suppose that MS Spitsbergen will sail its modified itinerary when MS Midnatsol is in Norway, and will replace Midnatsol on the regular line when Midnatsol is away in Antarctica.

The size of the ship (Spitsbergen, I mean) and the first images of the layout and design really appeal to me (but I already have my cruises planned for 2016, so I will have to wait for 2017 to try her out! ;)).

I stand corrected. Looks like they will do a special itinerary through out the summer. I didn't realize it was much smaller than the other newer ships. What are your 2016 plans? Curious to know...I've only got the March voyage planned but if I can swing it, I'll go back to Kenya. I'd also like to see Norway in the summer, if I find a really good deal. Will still need to find somewhere to use my heavy clothers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hadn't realized either until I saw the decks plans, there seems to be a lot less cabins..

My plans for 2016 are a trip to Norway in March, above the Arctic Circle (including a Bodo-Kirkenes-Svolvaer with Hurtigruten and 5 days in the Lofoten Island) and then in November/December I'm going back to Antarctica (with Hurtigruten again ;) : Falklands/South Georgia/Antarctic Peninsula).

I hadn't realized either until I saw the decks plans, there seems to be a lot less cabins..

My plans for 2016 are a trip to Norway in March, above the Arctic Circle (including a Bodo-Kirkenes-Svolvaer with Hurtigruten and 5 days in the Lofoten Island) and then in November/December I'm going back to Antarctica (with Hurtigruten again ;) : Falklands/South Georgia/Antarctic Peninsula).

I'm going to try and do something I've not done before... Book a last minute bargain... Lol. I always book in advance and never get a bargain.

If Spitsbergen has only 180 beds, and is sufficiently ice hardened, then I expect she will replace Midnatsol when her 500 beds in 100-passengers-on-land-at-any-one-time Antarctica doesn't work out.

I suspect you may be right, and I have read somewhere (on the French Hurtigruten website I think) that after her Norwegian inaugural season MS Spitsbergen would alternate between Norway and polar exploration cruise.

(OT : I have followed Fram's blog during the last two weeks. Seems you had quite a journey!).

(OT : I have followed Fram's blog during the last two weeks. Seems you had quite a journey!).

We did! Polar bears, Orca, Humpbacks, Fin, seals, reindeer and some memorable landings.

Oh, and a lot of ice.

And a bunch of passengers, whose only information was what they could see, offering opinions on what the captain should do/should have done. They just didn't get it.

Received a brochure from Hurtigruten. She will be sailing with MS Lofoten on departures from Bergen but missing out the overnight ports to give more time in day ports. Example northbound Floro, Stokmarknes and Hammerfest are among those sailed by. Southbound includes Berlavag, Finnsnes and Bodo on the sail by.

• 4 weeks later...

We booked on the Spits inaugural in May 15 and are excited about this new itinerary.

It will be our first experience with Hurtigruten but we are familiar with Lindblad/Nat Geo's Explorer with which we went to Antarctica last January. The ship's size and layout looks very similar to the Spits.

I have finally received the brochure as well, but can't quite figure out from the schedule on which port she will be spending more time than the "normal" itinerary.

It says also on the brochure that MS Spitsbergen will replace Midnatol for the 2016/2017 winter while Midnatsol is away in Antarctica, and then from Spring 2017 MS Spitsbergen will have an Arctic expeditions program. I'm interested in this ship, I will see what her Arctic program is in 2017.

• 2 weeks later...
I have finally received the brochure as well, but can't quite figure out from the schedule on which port she will be spending more time than the "normal" itinerary.

It says also on the brochure that MS Spitsbergen will replace Midnatol for the 2016/2017 winter while Midnatsol is away in Antarctica, and then from Spring 2017 MS Spitsbergen will have an Arctic expeditions program. I'm interested in this ship, I will see what her Arctic program is in 2017.

Yes! I'd be interested in that too. Guess we will have to wait a bit.