Is it too early to speculate about Mobile?

Tapi

Wouldn't it be nice to have a smaller ship sail to the Panama Canal from Mobile? Hoping for unique 7-8 day cruises to rarer ports.

That would be awesome, at least a 7 nighter would be nice. Don't know about longer voyages though. From what I've been reading, Carnival is having a hard time selling the longer journeys. I'm guessing that the average Carnival cruiser wants shorter vacations.

That would be awesome, at least a 7 nighter would be nice. Don't know about longer voyages though. From what I've been reading, Carnival is having a hard time selling the longer journeys. I'm guessing that the average Carnival cruiser wants shorter vacations.

Really? I heard that they were doing well, at least the roundtrip ones :confused:

Really? I heard that they were doing well, at least the roundtrip ones :confused:

I don't recall if what I read referred specifically to one ways or roundtrips, but I understand that prices have consistently been dropping for several longer journeys.

Edited by Tapi

I am excited about the possibility of Mobile because I can drive there in about 5.5 hours (compared to flying to Miami or MCO). I scanned the above posts but did not see anyone who knew for sure why Carnival originally stopped these cruises other than economics. Also, I sure hope they will be able to do the 7 day otherwise I would rather go on to Florida. As for the smaller ships - what is the biggest difference (I know passenger size but I'm interested in whether they are as much fun.)

Thanks for all the speculation and stirring up hope!

As for the smaller ships - what is the biggest difference (I know passenger size but I'm interested in whether they are as much fun.)!

Everything is on a smaller scale. Dining rooms are single story, the main theater has one balcony, etc, etc. The most noticeable differences are the lack of alternative dining venues (no Steakhouse, etc) and oceanview staterooms and above are smaller (Fantasy class OV's are 185 sq ft while newer ship OV's are 220+ sq ft.) Also, Fantasy class ships were built without balconies except for suites (some were later added on to a few ships), while Destiny class and above have anywhere from 60 to 80% of outside staterooms with balconies. I think that Fantasy class ships are best suited for 3-5 day cruises.

Personally, my BIGGEST peeve with the Fantasy class ships is that they look old. Their decor is early 90's, flashy neon and a bit on the tacky side. They are an eyesore. I know that some people say that they don't care what the ship looks like, but I do. When I'm on vacation, I want all of my 5 senses to enjoy. Vision is probably the one at the top of my priority list.

I wonder about the itinerary. Galveston and NOLA have the Progresso-Cozumel route sewn up. With a Fantasy class ship, i guess it will be a 3-5 day trip. I wonder if a Key West-Cancun or a Cancun-Belize trip would be possible? A new itinerary would insure a boon for the mobile port.

I wonder about the itinerary. Galveston and NOLA have the Progresso-Cozumel route sewn up. With a Fantasy class ship, i guess it will be a 3-5 day trip. I wonder if a Key West-Cancun or a Cancun-Belize trip would be possible? A new itinerary would insure a boon for the mobile port.

Something a bit different would help.

But is Cancun a cruise port?

And I like Cozumel.

I would spend the day there anytime.

And if we start comparing Cozumel and Nassau...

We just returned from a mini getaway to Nassau by airplane. Stayed away from the hub hub found in Paradise Island / Downtown. A completely different (and welcome) experience. Relaxed, uncrowded, and more polished and understated. It felt as if we'd never been to Nassau before, even though we've lost count of how many times we've arrived by cruise ship.

Edited by Tapi

Something a bit different would help.

But is Cancun a cruise port?

And I like Cozumel.

I would spend the day there anytime.

I just looked at the map and picked something different. I honestly don't know if Cancun is a cruise port. I don't think CCL goes there. I would really like to go to Belize but they are all on 7+ day cruises and I have a hard time getting that much time off.

Being from the MS Gulf Coast and still having family there, I would love to sail out of Mobile. However, I don't think we will unless they offer something other than the Fantasy class. We sailed on the Fantasy two times and enjoyed it, but once we went with the bigger, newer ships, I don't think we would ever go back to the Fantasy class.

In an ideal world (for me, at least), the Sunshine would sail out of Mobile. I'd be on her in a heartbeat!! :)

Has Carnival said when they would release the details?

I'm hoping they do by November as I might book a cruise out of Mobile on my November cruise.

I think that the details will be out by the end of September

Cruise ships more or less gave up on Cancun about 10 years ago. My guess the reason is that it was skipped so often it became not worth it. We were scheduled to go there in 2005 and missed. When I asked a crew member about it, I was told it was always 50/50.

Mobile previous rotation was 4 nights to Cozumel, 5 nights to Progresso/Cozumel, 5 nights to Calica/Cozumel. We enjoyed our stops to Calica, about a 10 minute taxi ride to Playa Del Carmen. Carnival stopped going to Calica when they left Mobile.

Mobile previous rotation was 4 nights to Cozumel, 5 nights to Progresso/Cozumel, 5 nights to Calica/Cozumel. We enjoyed our stops to Calica, about a 10 minute taxi ride to Playa Del Carmen. Carnival stopped going to Calica when they left Mobile.

And Calica is good for excursions to Tulum.

Also did a 7-night…. i did Cozumel, GC, and Montego Bay out of Mobile aboard the Elation….as well as the 5 night to Calica and Cozumel.

I agree with you that it will probably be a Fantasy Class ship, but the turning basin can handle ships up to 900' in length and the channel depth is 45' which also sufficient. I just don't believe Carnival will put a larger ship here until if or when it is shown the number of passengers would warrant it.

So what class other than Fantasy is shorter than 900'? Destiny class maybe?

Probably a moot point in the short term, since they've said it will be Fantasy class. But it keeps open the possibility of cruises out of Mobile after the Fantasy class ships are retired, assuming the Destiny class can indeed fit.

Edited by Earthworm Jim