Taxi from SOU?

SEFlyer

I am seeking advice from board members on taxi service from Southampton Airport. The airport website lists checkercars as the official taxi service from the airport. I went to their site and asked for a quote for a taxi to the Southampton Hilton. The answer tells me the ride is 10 minutes and a distance of 3.3 miles.

And the price is £26.77! That is insane.

I'd be grateful for advice on how to obtain taxi service for my journey at a sensible price.

My wife and I traveled to Southampton on Princess in May. We went from port to train station for approx 8 pounds. Driver and many others had been waiting since 0530 for ship to disembark but were not allowed to until 0700. He was disappointed that it was a short fare but was very nice and helpful.

There is a railway station next to the airport so if it is practical for you, I would suggest taking the train to Southampton Central and a taxi from there.

Not Really practicable as journey to Southampton Hilton is

from Southampton Central is 4.3 miles (10 mins) + Train fare

Journey from Southampton Airport 3.6 miles. (8mins )

Edited by Pennbank

Taxis at airports hope for long fares. Unfortunately a tiny one like yours is not really worth their time if they have been waiting for a fare at the airport for half an hour or more. That's reality. (It's also the reality of being a taxi driver that some days they might get a lot of short fares. They have to accept that.)

I think prebookable taxis charge extra to cover all contingencies. Metered taxis are cheaper if all goes well. However, with a meter YOU bear the risks if you meet bad traffic. The costs can go up and up if you are in a traffic jam.

My advice would be to look for a taxi with a meter, when you are at the airport. That should be a good price. Now that you know how much you could end up paying, be prepared to give a good tip at the end of your journey if the price is cheap.

Edited by fantasy51

I am seeking advice from board members on taxi service from Southampton Airport. The airport website lists checkercars as the official taxi service from the airport. I went to their site and asked for a quote for a taxi to the Southampton Hilton. The answer tells me the ride is 10 minutes and a distance of 3.3 miles.

And the price is £26.77! That is insane.

I'd be grateful for advice on how to obtain taxi service for my journey at a sensible price.

A couple of years ago I went to the docks from near the airport, only to get a shock when I paid the fare, need less to say I did not give a tip. When I did return home I rang Southampton Council, to complain at the fare, the guy I spoke to said they get a lot of complaint regarding the fares they charge to a from the airport, but they could do nothing about it due the fact it is out a the area they cover, he said if you need that service again you should agree a price with the driver. To my mind these taxi drivers are cashing in on visitors who have to use a taxi and are vultures.:mad:

If Checkercars have the same arrangement at Southampton airport as they do at Cardiff, they will be the only taxis actually waiting at the airport. If you want to use an alternative you will need to call them when you land or make arrangements in advance.

I've never been to either Southampton airport or the Hilton but it might be worth asking the hotel who they would recommend and how much the fare should be.

Thank you for all of your advice. Thank you especially Scarlet debonaire for your link. I did a quick check on one of the firms on your link and received an online quote for £13. That's still high but much more sensible than checkercars extortion.

I will take the advice also to ask the hotel. And I may communicate with one or two cab firms and try to negotiate for 2 fares, to the hotel on arrival and hotel to port the next day. Our plans for a QM2 crossing are for next year.

I also checked on Uber and unfortunately they don't operate in Southampton yet. But I will keep checking as it seems like a good potential Uber market. The SOU/checkercars monopolistic extortion, sanctioned by government, is precisely why Uber was born and is succeeding in jurisdictions all over the world. Digital technology along with willing buyers and sellers will defeat all the regulator and turf protector efforts to ban or cripple Uber.

Thanks again for all the advice. I hope this thread may also be useful to others as I found little info on this specific topic when I used the search function.

We pre booked West Quay Cars

They were very good and waiting for us when we landed.

They were still expensive at £17 but cheaper than the checkercars, who I assume must have to pay the Airport some massive fee to be the Airport taxi of Choice with a desk inside the terminal!

FWIW The Hilton does a nice cruise package for those driving a distance to Soton. You get B&B for the night before departure, secure parking for the cruise duration and a taxi to the ship for embarkation and from the ship back to the hotel on your return. BTW Taxis from the ship to the airport all charge a standard GBP 25.00 I believe ( at least they did last May when we last used them)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk