Arrival Civitavecchia, Train to Rome

m1celt

Hello all,

My husband and I will be on the Allure later this month, departing from Civitavecchia. We are staying in a hotel in Civitavecchia prior to our cruise but we are spending 10 days after our cruise touring Italy. We plan on leaving the ship and taking the train into Rome. We are only traveling with carry on size bags.

My question is this: Where do we actually leave the ship in Civitavecchia? I believe the cruisers that are there for the day take a shuttle bus that drops them off in a parking lot that is a bit of a hike to the train station.

Do we do the same?

I have searched for this on the boards but most cruisers seem to be going directly to the airport and arrange private transfers.

Thank you for any information that you can offer.

Although I have not been there in a few years, I believe it is the same deal: shuttle bus to the port gate and then walk, maybe a half mile at the most, to the train station. Where are you staying in Rome? If money is not a big problem, try and hook up with some others on your roll call and share a private transfer into Rome.

Hello all,

My husband and I will be on the Allure later this month, departing from Civitavecchia. We are staying in a hotel in Civitavecchia prior to our cruise but we are spending 10 days after our cruise touring Italy. We plan on leaving the ship and taking the train into Rome. We are only traveling with carry on size bags.

My question is this: Where do we actually leave the ship in Civitavecchia? I believe the cruisers that are there for the day take a shuttle bus that drops them off in a parking lot that is a bit of a hike to the train station.

Do we do the same?

I have searched for this on the boards but most cruisers seem to be going directly to the airport and arrange private transfers.

Thank you for any information that you can offer.

Due to construction, there is a new bus loop for the cruise port shuttle that is now a 15-30 minute further walk (depending on luggage and fitness) to/from Civitavecchia Station.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=43105037&highlight=okay#post43105037

Also note there is a public bus that runs to/from this new drop-off point to/from the train station if you decide not to walk

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=44301747&highlight=embarkation#post44301747

Great resource here:

http://cruiseportwiki.com/Civitavecchia

Have an awesome cruise! :D

• 2 weeks later...
Due to construction, there is a new bus loop for the cruise port shuttle that is now a 15-30 minute further walk (depending on luggage and fitness) to/from Civitavecchia Station.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=43105037&highlight=okay#post43105037

Also note there is a public bus that runs to/from this new drop-off point to/from the train station if you decide not to walk

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=44301747&highlight=embarkation#post44301747

Great resource here:

http://cruiseportwiki.com/Civitavecchia

Have an awesome cruise! :D

Very helpful thank you. - We are traveling Sept. 2016. Wonder if it will be done by then. 2 years ago it was about a 1/2 mile walk tot he train.

Very helpful thank you. - We are traveling Sept. 2016. Wonder if it will be done by then. 2 years ago it was about a 1/2 mile walk tot he train.

The current distance is just under a mile and this is likely to be the permanent situation, based on the construction that has been finished. It does not look like the southern entrance/exit to the port (the old way in and out, near the fort) will be anything more than a pedestrian access.

Does the port shuttle still stop at the old entrance, so people walking to/from the train station have a shorter distance to go.

The current distance is just under a mile and this is likely to be the permanent situation, based on the construction that has been finished. It does not look like the southern entrance/exit to the port (the old way in and out, near the fort) will be anything more than a pedestrian access.

Does the port shuttle still stop at the old entrance, so people walking to/from the train station have a shorter distance to go.

We have heard both yes and no to that question. The buses that take passengers to the ferries do stop there but it's not clear if cruise ship shuttles do, or that they do so consistently.

We just go off the Allure last week in Civit We disembarked around 8 am and took the free RCI shuttle into Civit. Where they dropped us off was a parking lot that had a $2 shuttle there that took us to the train station. This shuttle probably runs continually because it seemed to be set up for the purposes of getting us quickly to the train station. Even though we had 2 large suitcases and I suppose it was technically a city bus - there were no issues with us getting to the train station.

No it doesn't stop there and it never has since the construction began. There is only one dropping off point at the parking lot next to the Hotel Traghetto and I believe it is permanent. As someone else pointed out above they have changed the layout of where the old drop off used to be and I don't see it ever being used again.