Carnival Liberty Evacuation

pauleydm

Thank you paulydm for being the one accurate source of information who is on the scene. Your factual reporting and lack of speculation has made this trying event much more bearable for those who have some degree of involvement. For those of us, like me, who are just interested spectators, you make things more than adequately clear.

Kudos,

Doc:D

Edited by DocF
poor typing skills

I may have missed it , but was there any issues with passengers without passports flying home?

Considering that the cruise was scheduled to end in San Juan and the ship broke down in St Thomas, USVI. I would expect that everyone had whatever they would have needed to fly back from San Juan.

Not like a cruise that started and ended in FLL.

Considering that the cruise was scheduled to end in San Juan and the ship broke down in St Thomas, USVI. I would expect that everyone had whatever they would have needed to fly back from San Juan.

Not like a cruise that started and ended in FLL.

You do not need a passport as a US citizen to fly into San Juan, an American territory.

Weird question but does anyone know (or was it mentioned and I missed it) of the remaining passengers onboard are getting free wifi? Pauly is spending a good amount of time on here. I hope he doesnt have to pay for it.

Along those same lines, are the remaining passengers getting free drinks? Thats a great way to make many people happy.

Edited by goldesq

You do not need a passport as a US citizen to fly into San Juan, an American territory.

That was pretty much my point the ship broke in US V.I., the ship was home ported in PR. All US possessions. So not the problem it might have been if it broke down in, lets say St Kitts or some other non-US port. And even for non-US passengers, which do need a passport, they already have all of the documentation they need.

Even if something was needed, it was nothing more then they would have had anyway because of where the cruise started/ended.

Edited by RDC1

Weird question but does anyone know (or was it mentioned and I missed it) of the remaining passengers onboard are getting free wifi? Pauly is spending a good amount of time on here. I hope he doesnt have to pay for it.

Along those same lines, are the remaining passengers getting free drinks? Thats a great way to make many people happy.

Yes, he mentioned early on that they were giving them free wifi and phone calls from their cabins.

Carnival is best!

I rather to be on Liberty than being on Imagination with a dead power wheelchair a couple weeks ago.. I have had somebody to push me around in a Manual chair..

Thank goodness, Liberty didn't had any major problems after the fire besides stuck at St. Thomas.

While we wait for more updates- Probably, tomorrow

Anyways I was having a discussion on Facebook with somebody, and they said, Carnival should be doing more. I thought to myself and told them they are doing best as they CAN right now-- Lucky its not in the middle of ocean...

Pauleydm, I was wondering if you or anyone has seen the CCL president yet? JH said she was coming and wanted to talk to people and such...

I responded to his message saying that she needed to find you and thank you for all you've done for us by keeping us informed. I told him you need to get a ship on a stick and a bottle of champagne too! :)

I hope she finds you or you find her and tell her who you are. You are the stand out rock star of this whole thing... and they should acknowledge that!!!

Thanks again for all you've done!

Awesome idea and SO warranted!! You do definitely deserve this, Pauleydm!!! You have been so helpful to get the truth, as you see it evolve, out to all of us waiting. I hope she finds you as well!

Thank you again!

Obviously part of the engine room is what John Heald and I (Englishmen) would call knackered.

Expect an extended stay in Charlotte Amalie, with a curtailment of the cruise and subsequent knock-on effects on later sailings..........I think CCL could be more informative about the extent of the damage

I posted this a few days ago at the start of the crisis and it has proved remarkably prescient.

Why won't they disclose what was damaged in the fire and what it will take to get her underway again - to the shipyard?

Fascinating reporting. Thank you!

Does anyone know whether the Jones Act will come into play? Was St Thomas the first stop?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

https://www.goccl.com/~/media/Files/Irman/bookccl/booking_procedure/TheJonesAct_ThePassengerServicesAct.htm

The Jones Act (also known as the Passenger Services Act) prohibits ships of Non-U.S registry from embarking and debarking guests at two different U.S ports. Such travel would constitute point-to-point transportation between two U.S ports, which is prohibited on foreign flagged ships.Note: Puerto Rico and the U.S Virgin Islands (St. Thomas; St. Croix; St. John) are not in the category of U.S ports under this act.

Pauley, thank you again for your reports on the situation with the Liberty as they unfolded. I'm sure people with family and friends aboard appreciated the calm and informative comments. Thinking ahead, when you're home and you're remembering your cruise maybe you could start a thread on what things worked really well and what not so much! Things you would do different and what would bring now "just in case". Again thanks!