Carnival Liberty Evacuation

pauleydm

Whom are you asking to respond to this? Carnival may or may not monitor these boards (probably not) so are you really asking passengers currently stranded on this cruise to be directing questions to the ship staff regarding your upcoming???? Really?

I think you need to get on the phone to your PVP or your Travel Agent and explain your situation and request they contact you ASAP if there are changes. Unsure what you can do about it considering airline tix are non-refundable however but you're worried about the pre-cruise hotel charge so okay.

I think you may have misunderstood my post. First of all, there are a few others who are scheduled to be on the 9/20 Liberty sailing, same as us, monitoring this thread. One hopefully fellow passenger would like to know if our sailing will be affected ASAP so they can make alternate plans. I'm not looking for any of them to respond but just informing them that a definite answer about our sailing may not be from the op this afternoon.

"I've been following this thread, as mentioned before, because we're scheduled to sail on Liberty on 9/20. It is possible that when pauleydm and other current passengers on this current Liberty sailing get an update this afternoon, the update may be specific to how their cruise will proceed in the future but they may not be given information on the status of sailings following the current cruise." The op of this thread said that they will be getting an update on the status of how their cruise (the current Liberty cruise) will proceed in the future sometime after they have to be back on board by 4PM today. I do not expect the op or any of the current Liberty passengers to get status on any upcoming Liberty cruise. So those of us scheduled on Liberty on an upcoming cruise may NOT have a definite answer this afternoon and I'm not expecting one. I am also NOT expecting the op or any of the current passengers to be directing questions to Carnival staff about our sailing.

"I'm sure that Carnival is monitoring the situation closely." I did not say that Carnival is monitoring these boards closely, I said "situation", meaning the situation with Liberty herself. If I meant cc boards, I'd have said "cc boards". I do not expect Carnival to be monitoring the Cruise Critic boards. So please don't put words into my mouth. If the current situation with Liberty will affect any of the future cruises, I will be waiting to hear from Carnival...not the op or any other current Liberty passenger, not someone else on CC, but Carnival. I am curious, as most of the others are, to see how this will play out.

"We're booking hotel reservations in San Juan (believe that will have until the 17th to cancel w/out penalty if we do end up sailing) but we really can't do anything else at this point until we hear from Carnival or get some status on future sailings." As for the hotel and non refundable airline tickets, I'm not complaining or seeking advise on how to deal with non refundable airline tickets. All I'm saying is that we will be flying to San Juan as scheduled, whether Liberty sails on the 20th or not. We hope to sail on Liberty on the 20th, but if we don't, we will still have a very nice vacation. A week in Puerto Rico is not so bad. The hotel reservations are a backup plan, CYA, so to speak. I'd sure hate for our cruise to get cancelled and get down to San Juan and have everything booked up and no place to stay. We will have until September 17th to cancel the hotel reservations without penalty and I really expect to know by then if Liberty will sail as scheduled. I'm planning on it, but we need a backup plan. FYI, I'm also glad those airline tickets are non refundable. Knowing my DH, if those plane tickets were refundable and our sailing would be cancelled, we'd be going nowhere.

Edited by pghsteelerfan

Here are my thoughts. Haters are everywhere.... do we own cars? Boats? Motorcycles? I believe the answer is yes. Do they occasionally break down ? Without warning? Even brand new? YES! OMG some ppl. This could be so much worse. At least they are "stuck" on a beautiful island in the carribean . At least they have all hotel facilities running. At least passengers got 150 on board credit to help cover cost of meals spent in port. At least carnival is tryi g thier best to ensure that this problem is being taken care of. This is a ship ppl with electronic controls and moters a d generators. These things do fail without warning. Look at all the cruises that have been taken over the,years and wiegh that against the,mechanical failures. ... think about that. I love cruising. I love carnival. They r doing the best they,can with this,situation. Gosh let me get,stuck on a tropical,island for a extra day!

All they are missing is a sea day that they can still have or are having being,aboard the liberty.

Cant wait for my trip feb 7th!!! If we break down i do pray its at a port! You never know. Noone knows when and if this will happen on a cruise or your own vehicle.

Thanks. Rant over.

Paule great info.

Happy cruising to us all!!

If there was a need to off load fuel it would not be into fuel trucks on a pier. Two fuel trucks are not going to carry a lot of fuel especially the heavy bunker fuel that these ships use. That type of a fuel transfer would be onto a fuel barge alongside the ship. The amount of fuel that would need to be off loaded to make the ship light enough to be tugged would be more than two fuel trucks could carry.

Carnival ships don't use bunker fuel, they use diesel, plain old everyday kerosene.

That's why she's "MV" (Motor Vessel) Carnival Liberty not "SS" (Steam Ship) Carnival Liberty.

Here are my thoughts. Haters are everywhere.... do we own cars? Boats? Motorcycles? I believe the answer is yes. Do they occasionally break down ? Without warning? Even brand new? YES! OMG some ppl. This could be so much worse. At least they are "stuck" on a beautiful island in the carribean . At least they have all hotel facilities running. At least passengers got 150 on board credit to help cover cost of meals spent in port. At least carnival is tryi g thier best to ensure that this problem is being taken care of. This is a ship ppl with electronic controls and moters a d generators. These things do fail without warning. Look at all the cruises that have been taken over the,years and wiegh that against the,mechanical failures. ... think about that. I love cruising. I love carnival. They r doing the best they,can with this,situation. Gosh let me get,stuck on a tropical,island for a extra day!

All they are missing is a sea day that they can still have or are having being,aboard the liberty.

Cant wait for my trip feb 7th!!! If we break down i do pray its at a port! You never know. Noone knows when and if this will happen on a cruise or your own vehicle.

Thanks. Rant over.

Paule great info.

Happy cruising to us all!!

We don't vacation In or on any of those things.

And a beach day at home costs me $7 per person. What's it costing these passengers? $100 for the same sand and water?

If there was a need to off load fuel it would not be into fuel trucks on a pier. Two fuel trucks are not going to carry a lot of fuel especially the heavy bunker fuel that these ships use. That type of a fuel transfer would be onto a fuel barge alongside the ship. The amount of fuel that would need to be off loaded to make the ship light enough to be tugged would be more than two fuel trucks could carry.

1. These vessels use both #6 heavy fuel oil and Marine Diesel or Gas oil (almost the same).

2. Totally correct, the amount of oil that 2 tankers trucks could carry would be meaningless in trying the lighten the vessel.

3. However if there is a situation as in a fuel tank leak or a spill into the bilges and the surveyors and USCG wanted it pumped off the vessel for safety, the tanker trucks maybe the best way.

4. It would not be necessary to remove fuel to tow the vessel. there are tugs quite capable with lightening the vessel. Possibly 2 to 4, depending of where and how fast they would want to get there.

AKK

Gone_Cruisin...if you are on our cruise (9/20) Someone already checked and the only other cruise during that week is the Jewel of the Sea. And it's already sold out. So if our cruise gets cancelled for some reason, it's pretty much a Puerto Rico vacation for us...

We're not going to do anything out of San Juan - looking at anything out of mainland Florida. In particular the Sunshine. Wish they would let us know now.

1. These vessels use both #6 heavy fuel oil and Marine Diesel or Gas oil (almost the same).

2. Totally correct' date=' the amount of oil that 2 tankers trucks could carry would be meaningless in trying the lighten the vessel.

3. However if there is a situation as in a fuel tank leak or a spill into the bilges and the surveyors and USCG wanted it pumped off the vessel for safety, the tanker trucks maybe the best way.

4. It would not be necessary to remove fuel to tow the vessel. there are tugs quite capable with lightening the vessel. Possibly 2 to 4, depending of where and how fast they would want to get there.

AKK[/quote']

Thanks for pretty much confirming. Number 3 is probably the most likely reason for the trucks.

Carnival ships don't use bunker fuel, they use diesel, plain old everyday kerosene.

That's why she's "MV" (Motor Vessel) Carnival Liberty not "SS" (Steam Ship) Carnival Liberty.

Sorry she uses #6 heavy bunker fuel most of the time. If they are in a high maneuvering and speed changing zone they use Diesel or Gas oil, (almost the same thing)

There are also various zones where low slur fuel Heavy fuel or diesel.

A Motor vessel today is designed to use heavy fuel, which is cheaper then diesel.

A Steamship is one that generates steam in boilers, usually using heavy fuel.

No kerosene on the vessel. That is a grade of jet fuel and would only be used a gas turbine engine/plant.

AKK

Edited by Tonka's Skipper

I have to respectfully disagree. These ships do use heavy bunker fuel as well as diesel fuel too.

There's nothing wrong with that word. It's defined as a sudden overpowering fright. One which I ALWAYS experience when an unannounced fire alarm goes off.

Nothing in the article mentions sudden overpowering fright. The headline might as well have said, "Ship fire causes head engineer's supply of chocolate to melt." Nothing in the article discusses that either, but apparently it's not necessary that the headline relate to the article.

like mentioned before, would suck being stuck in port a day or 2 there. it is what it is. Carnival will be taking care of everyone over and beyond so just relax.

I would look at it as an adventure and make the best of it. Everyone is healthy and will have an awesome story to tell when they get back.

I have been on a number of cruises and only had a problem once, and that involved having to stay an additional night in Puerto Vallarta while on Splendor. Having said that, it is Carnival's responsibility to make sure that the current passengers on board are informed and taken care of. It sounds as if they are being kept informed, based on the original poster's comments in this thread. As far as those who are scheduled for future cruises, I am certain they will notify them of their status once they know it. We were scheduled to be on Splendor 2 weeks after the engine fire, and although we were concerned as to whether our vacation would proceed (it didn't), we were more concerned for the people who were directly affected, including 4 people we knew who were on the ship. I bet that Carnival has not made final decisions on the cruises coming up within the next few weeks, and they want to make sure they communicate the correct information. It doesn't surprise me that we haven't heard that much from Carnival or John Heald. We probably won't until they have made decisions on the current cruise.

Are you trying to do a mock booking? Then yes.....the next one up for sale is 9/20. 9/13 is not showing for sale anymore.

9/13 has been sold out for several weeks and has not shown up doing a mock booking. I've been booked on the 9/13 sailing for over a year so I am anxiously watching this develop.

I'm glad everybody is safe. Hopefully this cruise will continue for everyone aboard. We hoping everything can be corrected so that we can sail on Sunday.

Hi Paulydm,

Thank you so much for your continued updates! If possible, can you try to give us updates from time to time throughout your sailing?

When I open this thread, I look for YOUR REPLIES ONLY.

You know how posts can get on here. I am sure many others are doing the same.

Thanks again for all of the updates you're providing.

:)

I just heard about the fire on our local news.

There nothing about it on our local or world news stations yesterday or early this morning or noon news. I wasn't here this morning as we had to leave at 8 and didn't get back until after 9 as I had a doctor's appointment.

I am just glad no one was killed.

Be thankful they were in port when this incident happened and not at sea.

I didn't get to read all the posts -- just hope no crew members were hurt.

We don't vacation In or on any of those things.

And a beach day at home costs me $7 per person. What's it costing these passengers? $100 for the same sand and water?

If that's how you feel about cruising, what are you doing here? (Not meaning to be rude... Just sounds like cruising isn't your cup of tea.)