Cozumel Beach Suggestions -- not all inclusive

icepickjazz

We are going to be in Cozumel in October. Our family likes to grab a cab and head to local beach. Last time we were there was Jan 2001 and we went to a quiet place - Play Sol - which I understand is no longer quiet. Looking for recommendation for clean location, not inclusive, rent a umbrella, maybe a bar and some sodas, lounger and let the teens (2x15 boys) have a good time. Nothing too fancy, but clean. Any suggestions?

thanks

I'm not clear if you are looking for a quiet place this time.

If not, I recommend going to Mr. Sanchos- the teens would enjoy the water toys. You don't have to do all inclusive. Or Paradise Beach.

If 'enjoy' is more of a snorkeling thing, Money Bar, while not a beach entry- is a great day.

Quieter beaches can be found on the East side, but you cannot swim most days.

If you don't need to snorkel or swim way out, try one of the beaches on the East side. Punta Morena has a pool, a gorgeous beach, lots of hammocks, beach bar swings, and it's very nice and relaxed and not terribly touristy like the west side beach clubs.

Check it out. It's pretty darn nice! They don't accept credit cards, but US$ works fine. Takes about 20-30 minutes from town to drive across the island.

There are a number of little beach bars on that side of the island that I would hang out at for a much more relaxed, authentic atmosphere than the west side beach clubs.

(These are not my photos, just pulled them off of google images).

Punta4.jpg.bc0b11346fc7e32bd35274d07593b09e.jpg

punta-morena.jpg.60b9d96ed4019574434f1ae959acaa6b.jpg

punta-morena2.jpg.359225b7683d2e43ab7c7c535ae55aa1.jpg

punta-morena3.jpg.c1d9d0d17bed2027d25551855be97dd6.jpg

Edited by mrsfuzzmo

From everything you've said, I would say that Paradise Beach is the perfect fit. Simply walk to the end of the shopping area and take a short taxi ride there. The fares are clearly stated, but I always double check before we leave.

There is a small fee for the loungers, something like $3, I believe. This used to be free but it was becoming abused so they starting charging a nominal fee. They have a beautiful pool and great blow up toys in the water for the kids/teens. You can purchase an armband for this for around $15 per person for the day. We took our two youngest there several years ago and they LOVED it! I'll post a few pics below.

They also have a restaurant that has good food and decent prices. I think you will love it if you go! We've been there several times and I'm sure we will go again.

999204_10153151960150136_1630963585_n.jpg?oh=950317faffeefca0244538474cbbf393&oe=56A428AB

39570_10150263360835136_1811000_n.jpg?oh=ac0b6bf7721de95be633d02cffbd5c69&oe=56626C11

58161_10150263361015136_7468764_n.jpg?oh=9a0dd7ed35faed3c908228429e94832f&oe=56A167B6

1235103_10153151967060136_1177067620_n.jpg?oh=4ba792be0b68c552f5e8fa74ebb1036a&oe=56741BCE

Lunch at Paradise Beach was shrimp quesadilla with beans and pico de gallo

1175601_10153151986655136_1733837705_n.jpg?oh=b6e7aa6aed677109cf18fffa0a56a6b4&oe=566FAC87

From everything you've said, I would say that Paradise Beach is the perfect fit. Simply walk to the end of the shopping area and take a short taxi ride there. The fares are clearly stated, but I always double check before we leave.

There is a small fee for the loungers, something like $3, I believe. This used to be free but it was becoming abused so they starting charging a nominal fee. They have a beautiful pool and great blow up toys in the water for the kids/teens. You can purchase an armband for this for around $15 per person for the day. We took our two youngest there several years ago and they LOVED it! I'll post a few pics below.

They also have a restaurant that has good food and decent prices. I think you will love it if you go! We've been there several times and I'm sure we will go again.

I am a fan of Paradise Beach myself and appreciate the beautiful pool they have added. It should be noted that since there is no cover charge it is expected that each person spend $10 on something. For me it is food/drink. There is no such thing as a free ride.

Edited by Charles4515

I am a fan of Paradise Beach myself and appreciate the beautiful pool they have added. It should be noted that since there is no cover charge it is expected that each person spend $10 on something. For me it is food/drink. There is no such thing as a free ride.

Can you or someone please explain more about what Paradise Beach is? Is it a Hotel/Resort that offers it's facilities to cruise passengers for a fee or is it a destination all by its self that caters to Cruise passengers.

This sounds exactly like what I am looking for as a event to do with my kids who are 10 and 12. While me and the wife can relax or partake in the fun(I do like snorkeling ).

This is going to be our families first cruise. We usually go all inclusive to Cancun, Rivera Maya..

First question, is this something I have to book from my Cruise Ship?

How do I get there from the port, taxi?

Do you have to pre-book your arrival?

More Important, Are taxis available for the ride back to port

Can you or someone please explain more about what Paradise Beach is? Is it a Hotel/Resort that offers it's facilities to cruise passengers for a fee or is it a destination all by its self that caters to Cruise passengers.

It is a beach club. There is no hotel/resort. It doesn't necessarily cater to cruisers anymore than it does land-based vacationers though. It just caters to people who want a great day at the beach.

You do not need to pre-book on the ship. (I don't think you can... Cozumel is a very safe and easy place to do an excursion on your own though!)

At the port, get a taxi and tell them Paradise Beach. They will know it. There is a sign that tells you the fare. Confirm this with the driver when you step in. The fare is for 4 passengers. Don't pay more than the sign says (unless you choose to tip, of course.)

You do not need to prebook entry.

Taxis are super easy to get back to the port. They are almost always waiting there, or the bar can call one. We never arrange a pick up time at the main attractions in Cozumel, because it is easy to find a taxi. (In other ports we often ask "can you come get us at 2:00 or whatever. We have never had a taxi driver fail to show up again). Make sure you know the name of your pier (Puerta Maya, Punta Langosta, International Pier). There are 3. You don't want to go to the wrong one. The fare will be the same as when you went to the beach. Again, confirm before getting into the taxi.

Edited by skittl1321

This sounds exactly like what I am looking for as a event to do with my kids who are 10 and 12. While me and the wife can relax or partake in the fun(I do like snorkeling ).

This is going to be our families first cruise. We usually go all inclusive to Cancun, Rivera Maya..

It is not a hotel or resort. It is one of many beach clubs. There is a restaurant/bar, a pool and of course the beach. Waiters will take drink and food orders on the beach. Some clubs are ala carte like Paradise. Others have a cover charge. You don't reserve in advance for Paradise. There may be cruise line excursions but you don't want to do that. You just take a taxi there and a taxi back whenever you want to leave. There are always taxis available to take you back. Taxi fares are flat rate per cab and the rate to any of the clubs is a set rate. There will be a sign with the current rates at the taxi stand at the pier entrance. That will be the same rate they charge to return to the pier.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

The two posts above have answered most of your questions. Here is a link to the website which should help with any more

http://www.paradise-beach-cozumel.com

Thanks for the quick responses.

In general do you as a Cruise passenger prefer to book through the cruise ship or make arrangements on your own.

Usually I prefer to make my own arrangements. Particularly going to a beach. The cruise line will take you to the same beaches with a huge mark up. And you have to return on their schedule. All the beach clubs on Cozumel are along the same side of the island are mostly right next to each. There is also Channakab Park National Park which is one place to go if primarily interested in snorkeling. There is an entrance fee, I believe $20. I would also take a taxi there too. An exception for my own arrangements at Coz would be something like the Tulum Mayan ruins which are far enough away, a ferry and bus ride. I would do that as a cruise line excursion.

Edited by Charles4515

I'm guessing Cozumel often has lots of ships in port, but on the day we will be there I think there are 7 other cruise ships! Would this be a day to stay away from paradise beach, or do they handle crowds on a regular basis?

That actually is not that many ships for Coz. There can be more. Those seven ships of people are going to head out all over the island. Agian all the beach clubs are right next to each other but over a large stretch. You can't avoid those seven shiploads of cruise passengers. Paradise Beach can handle a lot as they lucked out after Hurricane Wilma and had a lot of beach left. They built a beautiful huge pool there too so that adds room. Wilma literally changed the beach geography. There are a couple of all inclusive Beach Clubs that require reservations and limit the amount to 50 people. I think they are all adult.

Edited by Charles4515

Pick a spot, grab a cab and go. It is that easy. One beach club that has not been mentioned is Playa Palancar. It is farther from the ships and usually gets less attention (read less crowded). It is a nice beach, good food, cold drinks and the service is good. The snorkeling from shore isn't good, but they do offer a boat trip to the reef that is good. Plenty of shade, loungers and hammocks.

If you want toys for the boys, Paradise is good. If you want it a little more serene, try Palancar.