Let Cirque Dinner

Waverolling

... When Le Cirque relocated, in NY, they were awarded two stars ?? ...

Check out this link for all the Le Cirque restaurants:

http://www.lecirque.com/locations

Thanks for attempting to be helpful. However, I was not asking for a list of Le Cirque locations (which I already have) but rather was asking RedmondCruiser to identify which of the NYC Le Cirque restaurant relocations he/she was referencing in his/her post quoted (in relevant part) above.

Edited by avian777

Thanks for attempting to be helpful. However, I was not asking for a list of Le Cirque locations (which I already have) but rather was asking RedmondCruiser to identify which of the NYC Le Cirque restaurant relocations he/she was referencing in his/her post quoted (in relevant part) above.

A Google search could easily find that answer although I have no idea what this question has to do with the dinner on the ships. Perhaps ship services could help you.

The quote came from the video on an HAL ship which gave the history of the restaurant. The two star comment came from Siro's son who tells his father that the NY location (new at that time) only got two stars and his father had said that nothing under four stars was acceptable. I have never paid much attention to food critics - since most just like to hear themselves pontificate.

A Google search could easily find that answer although I have no idea what this question has to do with the dinner on the ships. Perhaps ship services could help you.

Thank you for your post. If you'll read RedmondCruiser's post, I think you should be able to figure out "what this question has to do with the dinner on the ships" and also why your suggestion that HAL Ship Services "could help" is so far off base. But thanks for trying.

The quote came from the video on an HAL ship which gave the history of the restaurant. The two star comment came from Siro's son who tells his father that the NY location (new at that time) only got two stars and his father had said that nothing under four stars was acceptable. I have never paid much attention to food critics - since most just like to hear themselves pontificate.

Thank you for your response. I guess I'll have to e-mail the Maccionis to get the full history on the 2* "downgrade". Like you, I do not pay much attention to food critics. Thanks again.

Edited by avian777

Thank you for your response. I guess I'll have to e-mail the Maccionis to get the full history on the 2* "downgrade". Like you, I do not pay much attention to food critics. Thanks again.

Here's the one star review from 2012.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2012/09/19/dining/reviews/le-cirque-in-manhattan.html

The link is to the NY Times mobile site because I am on my phone. Replace the "mobile" in the URL with "www" and you should get the desktop version.

Here's the one star review from 2012.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2012/09/19/dining/reviews/le-cirque-in-manhattan.html

The link is to the NY Times mobile site because I am on my phone. Replace the "mobile" in the URL with "www" and you should get the desktop version.

Thanks for the link - a good article/review but IMO not the one relating to the 2* downgrade which (according to RedmondCruiser and the HAL video) related to one of the "new" locations of Le Cirque. I'll keep looking and will post any definitive information I find.

Edited by avian777

Thanks for the link - a good article/review but IMO not the one relating to the 2* downgrade which (according to RedmondCruiser and the HAL video) related to one of the "new" locations of Le Cirque. I'll keep looking and will post any definitive information I find.

If it helps, the article relates to a "new" location. The original Le Cirque was in the Mayfair hotel. It was replaced by Le Cirque 2000 in the New York Palace in 1997. In 2006, that location closed and a new Le Cirque opened at One Beacon (Bloomberg Bldg.)

Edited by POA1

If it helps, the article relates to a "new" location. The original Le Cirque was in the Mayfair hotel. It was replaced by Le Cirque 2000 in the New York Palace in 1997. In 2006, that location closed and a new Le Cirque opened at One Beacon (Bloomberg Bldg.)

EUREKA!!! I think I found the answer. Here's a link to the 7/19/06 Frank Bruni (NYT Food Critic) review of Le Cirque:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/19/dining/reviews/19rest.html?pagewanted=all

Since this review give LC 2 stars and was published in 2006, I have concluded that the 2-star "downgrade" occurred at the Bloomberg Building location.

Again, thank you for your invaluable assistance.

Edited by avian777

EUREKA!!! I think I found the answer. Here's a link to the 7/19/06 Frank Bruni (NYT Food Critic) review of Le Cirque:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/19/dining/reviews/19rest.html?pagewanted=all

Since this review give LC 2 stars and was published in 2006, I have concluded that the 2-star "downgrade" occurred at the Bloomberg Building location.

Again, thank you for your invaluable assistance.

The One Beacon location got one star in 2008. The Palace Hotel location got 2 stars in the link you provided. That's only a 1 star downgrade. I'm pretty sure that two star loss came between the original Mayfair location and Le Cirque 2000 at the Palace. You have to remember that Daniel Boulud was once Le Cirque's chef. Those were the 4* days.

Le Cirque is still a very good, old school restaurant. The Holland America version gets you a very good meal at less than the cost of parking in Manhattan. However, if you're in the City, and you want to splurge, dine at Daniel.

However, if you're in the City, and you want to splurge, dine at Daniel.

Best make that reservation now, unless you want to eat very early - or very late. Even then, it might be 2 weeks. Still, that's much better than French Laundry or Chez Panisse (for those headed to northern California).

Thank you for your post. If you'll read RedmondCruiser's post, I think you should be able to figure out "what this question has to do with the dinner on the ships" and also why your suggestion that HAL Ship Services "could help" is so far off base. But thanks for trying.

It's on the Hal video so not off base. I know you are very fond of ships service and the invaluable information they provide. I bet you'd even be able to get email confirmation. Thx for trying.

The One Beacon location got one star in 2008. The Palace Hotel location got 2 stars in the link you provided. That's only a 1 star downgrade. I'm pretty sure that two star loss came between the original Mayfair location and Le Cirque 2000 at the Palace.

From the 7/19/06 Bruni review: "The new Le Cirque, in the Bloomberg Tower in Midtown, seems to be coasting on its myth, counting on the star power of Mr. Maccioni to compensate for a menu that could use more spark and a kitchen that could show more finesse." Additionally, since Le Cirque 2000 (which was located at the Palace Hotel) closed its doors in 2004 (12/31/04, to be exact), IMO the 2006 Bruni review was probably not referring to the Palace Hotel location.

MY reference to a "2* "'downgrade'" was badly worded - I should have said "a downgrade to 2 stars", which I believe is what Bruni did in his 7/19/06 review.

Thanks again for your helpful posts.

Edited by avian777

MY reference to a "2* "'downgrade'" was badly worded - I should have said "a downgrade to 2 stars", which I believe is what Bruni did in his 7/19/06 review.

Thanks again for your helpful posts.

That makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.

Well, now that THAT'S out of the way, maybe we can get back to talking about cruising!

;)

[quote name='dakrewser']Best make that reservation now, unless you want to eat very early - or very late. Even then, it might be 2 weeks. Still, that's much better than French Laundry or Chez Panisse (for those headed to northern California).[/quote]

[quote name='dakrewser']Well, now that THAT'S out of the way, maybe we can get back to talking about cruising!

;)[/quote]

I apologize for the detour and promise to stay on topic ... at least as long as I can remember to do so! Edited by avian777

Firstly, congratulations on your 50th and welcome to the club. We always make sure we book for the Le Cirque evening, especially on the Prinsendam, at certain times you might get lucky and find that the Sommelier has upgraded it to include wine pairings, yes additional charge but not your ordinary run of the mill wines. If you get the chance go for it.

We will be on the Prinsendam before you September 28 - October 26, already booked for Le Cirque on both 14 day segments. plus we will dine at the Pinnacle on a number of occasions. Canaletto can be hit or miss but if they get it right on the night it is well worth it.

Enjoy your cruise:cool::cool::cool:

[quote name='Krazy Kruizers'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=5]We consider the Le Cirque worth the money.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=5][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=5]We have gone to everyone on our cruises since they were started back on December in 2012 on the Nieuw Amsterdam. And we have experienced all the changes in the menu.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=5]Never had a bad meal at Le Cirque.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=5]Congratulations on your 50th Anniversary.[/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]