Children's prices at speciality restaurants

jmkrsail

Can anyone who has recently sailed provide prices for children in the speciality restaurants? In particular, for Teppanyaki? Our kiddos are 9 years old and love the hibachi restaurants here at home, but would like to know their cost before I book.

Thanks!

So to clarify, if they order off the kids menu in Teppanyaki, they are free? I understand it's hotdogs and stuff, not smaller Japanese portions, correct?

Correct. It's the same standard kids menu used in all the restaurants on the ship.

Children pay full price at specialty restaurants, which is $29.95 at the Teppanyaki restaurant (just like land based restaurants), unless they eat off the free children's menu. The children's menu has things like hot dogs, mac and cheese, pizza, etc.

Yes, but at land based restaurants the menu is restaurant appropriate. For example, at my local hibachi place, my son can get a smaller portion of the same meal I am getting. Or if we go to an Italian restaurant, he can order spaghetti or fettucine alfredo. Here, we are stuck with either paying the full adult price or having him eat food that is terrible for him and nothing like we are eating. We are paying the full $30 for our son because he is really excited about going, but it really stinks they can't offer a restaurant appropriate selection.

Are you allowed to share with your child? My daughter eats like a bird, so it would be a waste to order her the whole meal? Could she order something off of the kids meal (or order nothing) and share with me?

I don't see why any cruise line would see that as an issue to be fair and if they do I would stay well clear.

Yes, but at land based restaurants the menu is restaurant appropriate. For example, at my local hibachi place, my son can get a smaller portion of the same meal I am getting. Or if we go to an Italian restaurant, he can order spaghetti or fettucine alfredo. Here, we are stuck with either paying the full adult price or having him eat food that is terrible for him and nothing like we are eating. We are paying the full $30 for our son because he is really excited about going, but it really stinks they can't offer a restaurant appropriate selection.

It's too bad that Teppanyaki didn't switch to a la carte, like so many others. That would make it easier for little ones to pick and choose specifically what they will eat, and only have to pay for those parts.

I don't understand why they wouldn't have two different prices....when we go to our local Teppanyaki place there is a kids menu....they get the same meal as us (choosing a protein) and just smaller portions.....ugggg

Because in Teppanyaki they can usually sell all seats everynight for full price. Absolutely no need to give any discounts.

Of course the situation is not the same in all other speciality restaurants, but for Teppanyaki it is.

Edited by Demonyte

I'm not saying to give it free (which is what they do by offering the children's menu for free). Instead only offer the one menu but a different price for children. That way, every seat taken is providing revenue.....

Not too long ago - perhaps a couple of months - all specialty restaurants charged half price for kids (under 12?), and they got full portions. Maybe with all the UDP's they gave away, they weren't making as much money, so chose to only have one price for specialty restaurants. My 12 year old did order from the kids menu at le bistro, the rest of my kids ate full portions, some were half price, the others older and full price (before the change).

Because in Teppanyaki they can usually sell all seats everynight for full price. Absolutely no need to give any discounts.

Of course the situation is not the same in all other speciality restaurants, but for Teppanyaki it is.

That would make sense though IF they required each seat to purchase. If I bring 4 kids into the restaurant and they all order hamburgers, that is 4 seats that aren't paying, whereas on the old system at least if I bought they meals half price that would be $60 they would be making. I would very happily pay $15 and only get a half portion for my son. He is 5, so he wouldn't eat much.

Some may say they are trying to weed kids out of specialty restaurants which may be the case, but particularly with the UDP that covered the whole room a few months ago, I don't see that happening any time soon. I could see the appeal though, and I even have kids. When we did our one and only specialty restaurant previously, it was on RCCL on 2007 when they were fairly new to being an option. We were on the FOS and we ate at Chops and it was considered a very romantic, upscale place then. I'm sure a table with 4 kids next to me including toddlers would not have helped the atmosphere.