Carnival Liberty 9/13 & 9/20 in Limbo?

gusman817

Are you on the Liberty 9/13 or 9/20? We are on the 9/20 sailing.

Pauleypm has been doing a terrific job with the "Carnival Liberty Evac"

thread - I think it is time for a thread specific to post & exchange info

about these two specific cruises - the anxiety level is quite high.

We are on the 9/20 sailing, same as you. Yes, Pauleydm has been great and what I really appreciated was the fact that he gave us facts as he knew them, no speculation and no embellishment. We have been following that post very closely since this all started.

You are right about the anxiety level being high. We were scheduled to fly in on the 19th and had hotel reservations for one night pre-cruise. Our airfare is non-refundable, so whether we cruise or not, we're flying into San Juan as scheduled. I'm kind of happy that the plane tickets are non refundable because we will still get a vacation. We've already booked the hotel for the rest of the week. We have until 9/17 to cancel without penalty and we should surely know something from Carnival by then.

Do you have a back up plan?

But yes, thank you for starting this thread. I'll let the others know about it.

I copied from John Heald's FB page. Just posted 1 minute ago:

For those of you who have been asking me I am very happy to tell you that the Carnival Liberty’s next cruise departing this Sunday is indeed scheduled to operate as normal.

Cheers and have a brilliant time

Deetrayn,

I just now saw that!!! :D I'm just hoping that someone didn't hijack John's "Social Network" page. That is great news for us!!! A bunch of us have a back up plan in place, just in case and we'll tentatively keep those plans just in case there are any further issues. We have until 9/17 to cancel w/out penalty.

I'm just so happy right now I don't know what to do...maybe think about packing for a cruise. :D

Edited by pghsteelerfan

Deetrayn,

I just now saw that!!! :D I'm just hoping that someone didn't hijack John's "Social Network" page. That is great news for us!!! A bunch of us have a back up plan in place, just in case and we'll tentatively keep those plans just in case there are any further issues. We have until 9/17 to cancel w/out penalty.

I'm just so happy right now I don't know what to do...maybe think about packing for a cruise. :D

I hope everything works out and schedule is back to normal. Have a great cruise. I guess we'll be getting another one of your awesome reviews soon? If so, I'll be looking forward to it. :):):)

Dee

I hope everything works out and schedule is back to normal. Have a great cruise. I guess we'll be getting another one of your awesome reviews soon? If so, I'll be looking forward to it. :):):)

Dee

Thank you so much Dee! :)

If we cruise as scheduled, yes, I'll be doing another review. I wasn't at first since we did the same itinerary on Valor and did that review and then we were on Liberty in April 2014 and I did a review that time. Same ship/same itinerary, I didn't want to bore everyone with same ole, same ole. We do have different things planned though, so even though the same islands and a ship we've been on, it will be different. Thank you for asking. :)

I just noticed you're sailing on the Breeze on the same day, 9/20! We've seen Breeze but never on her. From reviews by others she definitely is a beautiful ship. I hope you have a wonderful cruise and great weather.

Edited by pghsteelerfan

Thank you so much Dee! :)

If we cruise as scheduled, yes, I'll be doing another review. I wasn't at first since we did the same itinerary on Valor and did that review and then we were on Liberty in April 2014 and I did a review that time. Same ship/same itinerary, I didn't want to bore everyone with same ole, same ole. We do have different things planned though, so even though the same islands and a ship we've been on, it will be different. Thank you for asking. :)

I just noticed you're sailing on the Breeze on the same day, 9/20! We've seen Breeze but never on her. From reviews by others she definitely is a beautiful ship. I hope you have a wonderful cruise and great weather.

Thank you! I'll be looking forward to your review. And yes, I will be on the Breeze soon. I'm packed and ready to go. Lol

Dee

Thank you! I'll be looking forward to your review. And yes, I will be on the Breeze soon. I'm packed and ready to go. Lol

Dee

We have been so busy for the past month that I didn't have time to think about packing. I was actually planning on getting that started on Monday...then I saw what was happening with Liberty and have been "glued" to the computer. DH and I were talking last night about packing. Even though we have a back up plan in place, we'd be packing a little different for a week in San Juan than we would for a cruise. I really do need to get busy. :D

I'd be a lot more confident about 9/20 than 9/13, even with John Heald's message. Who knows though, maybe it really is a minor repair and they'll get clearance to sail on Sunday.

And for what we know, the problem has been fixed, but as on the other thread someone suggested they might be waiting to reload some fire supression chemicals.

And for what we know, the problem has been fixed, but as on the other thread someone suggested they might be waiting to reload some fire supression chemicals.

If I had the 9/13 sailing scheduled, I would look to re-book that trip at another time. Just like some people don't want to sail the 1st cruise after a dry dock, I don't want to be on a ship that has just been "repaired". Ship does happen, but I don't want to volunteer for it.

I sympathize with the majority who have scheduled their vacation months in advance and empathize with their concerns. I'm just fortunate enough to be retired and have cruised enough that I can pick and choose my pleasures. I realize others do not have my flexibility, but if I were them, I would be working on a Plan B, just in case.

You're right, we don't know for sure. That said, I am skeptical that the necessary repair amounts to recharging the fire suppression system with fire retardant. If that were the case they would have done that yesterday or today and sailed back to San Juan with all of the pax aboard.

You can be sure that Carnival isn't taking lightly the decision to charter 20-30 flights to get everyone home.

Edited by gtalum

Me, my wife Kendra, and her sister and brother-in-law will be sailing on 9/20. We're so excited! We did this itinerary on the Valor in Oct. 2013 and can't wait to do it again..especially on a 2.0 ship.

We're cautiously optimistic about everything going off as planned. I'm hoping that it goes even if there are still some issues with the one engine. They may have to alter the itinerary if they can't go full speed...but I'm OK with that... I just hope we still make it to St. Lucia and St. Maarten for sure!

I'll definitely be having a drink (or 3 or 4) once we get on board and start the sail away!!!! Just to celebrate the relief after all this craziness!

Me, my wife Kendra, and her sister and brother-in-law will be sailing on 9/20. We're so excited! We did this itinerary on the Valor in Oct. 2013 and can't wait to do it again..especially on a 2.0 ship.

We're cautiously optimistic about everything going off as planned. I'm hoping that it goes even if there are still some issues with the one engine. They may have to alter the itinerary if they can't go full speed...but I'm OK with that... I just hope we still make it to St. Lucia and St. Maarten for sure!

I'll definitely be having a drink (or 3 or 4) once we get on board and start the sail away!!!! Just to celebrate the relief after all this craziness!

Keeping my fingers crossed for you guys.

It might make sense to skip St Thomas(I'm sure the crew has seen enough of her by now) and head to Barbados to pick up passengers and cruise at a slower speed. Then see how much of the rest itinerary they can do.

Hurricane bookings are stressful enough without all this extra drama! Hope you can enjoy a great week on Liberty!

My husband and I are on the 9/20 sailing as well. We're trying really hard to be positive, but this has even got my laid back, optmistic husband stressed out! I will feel a lot better if/when the 9/13 sailing leaves.

We're fine with a modified itinerary also. We just want to be on a ship!

I think we'll all be having a drink (or 3 or 4) once we get on board too. Nothing like starting a cruise off with a "Funship Special".

Keeping my fingers crossed for you guys.

It might make sense to skip St Thomas(I'm sure the crew has seen enough of her by now) and head to Barbados to pick up passengers and cruise at a slower speed. Then see how much of the rest itinerary they can do.

Hurricane bookings are stressful enough without all this extra drama! Hope you can enjoy a great week on Liberty!

I was thinking the same about Barbados, that will probably be a definite due to pax embarking/disembarking there. And yes, until Monday, hurricanes were our main concern. :)

From Carnvial's Facebook:

CARNIVAL LIBERTY STATEMENT

September 10, 2015 – 11am

The Carnival Liberty continues to remain in St. Thomas following an engine fire that occurred on Monday, Sept. 7, while the ship was docked there during a scheduled port of call visit. Guests are in the process of being flown home from St. Thomas. Several hundred were transported from St. Thomas yesterday and charter flights will continue throughout the day today to a variety of destinations within the U.S. based on where guests live. Charter flights are being utilized based on the limited availability of commercial flights.

Carnival Liberty will depart St. Thomas once the U.S. Coast Guard has fully completed their activities on board. All future cruises, including the next voyage departing Sunday, September 13, are scheduled to operate as planned.

All guests are being provided with a full refund of their cruise as well as a 50 percent discount on a future cruise. This is in addition to a $150 per person credit that has already been applied to guests’ shipboard accounts.

There were no injuries to guests or crew as a result of the fire which was extinguished by the ship’s automated suppression system. All hotel services including air conditioning, elevators, toilets, galleys, etc. are fully functional and the ship's normal array of activities, entertainment, dining options and programming are being offered. All guests are being accommodated on board until their scheduled charter flights depart and are free to enjoy the beaches, shopping, watersports and variety of activities available in St. Thomas.

We apologize to our guests for this unexpected disruption to their vacation and the inconvenience they are experiencing.

Carnival Liberty departed San Juan on Sunday for a seven-day Caribbean cruise with 3,346 guests and 1,150 crew on board.

I am hoping this is an accurate and that all future cruises are a go as scheduled! Sailing on the 4th. Fingers crossed for you all on the 13th and 20th!!

@evandbob Problem is if they sail on 9/13 there is no option to skip it and get your money back. I am on the 9/13 and I agree with you, it makes me uneasy about being on a ship which they "rushed" to get ready in time. However I would be out $2,000 if I simply did not show up. Even the insurance I bought is for emergencies and doesn't cover change of mind.

@evandbob Problem is if they sail on 9/13 there is no option to skip it and get your money back. I am on the 9/13 and I agree with you, it makes me uneasy about being on a ship which they "rushed" to get ready in time. However I would be out $2,000 if I simply did not show up. Even the insurance I bought is for emergencies and doesn't cover change of mind.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. They are currently on their way back to San Juan and traveling at a good clip of 16.6 knots... They'll have all day Friday and Saturday to get the ship ready for Sunday's sailing. I don't think you'll have anything to worry about...

Relax and enjoy !!!! I'll wave to you when you get off while I'm getting on next Sunday!!! (9/20) :)

I wouldn't worry about it too much. They are currently on their way back to San Juan and traveling at a good clip of 16.6 knots... They'll have all day Friday and Saturday to get the ship ready for Sunday's sailing. I don't think you'll have anything to worry about...

Relax and enjoy !!!! I'll wave to you when you get off while I'm getting on next Sunday!!! (9/20) :)

True! It's 55° here in MA my husband keeps saying "even if we sit on the ship in San Juan for a week it's better than here!" lol