One Cabin or two

mdhbeh_11993

I will be sailing next July with two 18 yr old's and my husband and am not sure whether to get one cabin for the four of us or two cabins with an adjoining door. Cost is a little bit of an issue but I would like to hear pro and cons from anyone who has sailed with more than 3 people in the same cabin.

Thanks much for any assistance.

I strongly (STRONGLY) suggest two. Four is really tight in a room. The extra bathroom and privacy will be the main differences. We have done a room with four only once. (Kids were 14,10)

We try to book rooms across the hall from each other in a dead end hallway when we take the kids. We have never been able to get adjoining rooms. With the dead end hallway you can leave both doors open and no one but crew will be walking by. It's easier to keep an eye on them that way. If we are getting dressed or sleeping the doors are closed, but all other times they pretty much stay open.

Hope this helps. Four in a room is possible but I would avoid it if you can.

Bobbie

Two 18 yr olds plus 2 adults = TWO CABINS!!!

If the 18 yr olds are girls, you will DEFINITELY need the extra closet space and bathroom space (unless the adult don't plan to use the bathroom or closet the entire cruise!). Plus, at 18, their schedules will likely be quite different than the adults.

Oh yes! We were four (two adults, two teens) to a D1 last trip because was all that was available by the time we booked, and couldn't get suite or 2 cabins close to each other. For next trip I already have JS and adjoining balcony cabin booked--love my kids, but some space, another bathroom, and privacy will be much nicer!:)

Four adults in a JS is completely manageable, although two of the four have to share the sofa bed. Sofa beds in the JS's are far more comfortable that in the D1's. If it were a choice between two D1's or one JS -- I'd take the JS unless I really needed the privacy and extra bathroom.

Absolutely get two rooms next to each other! They don't need to be connecting and you can get keys to both rooms. We won't even do 3 in a room anymore because we feel that is too crowded especially with all the luggage and stuff and we all have different sleep schedules.

We cruise with our DS and DD, this year they will be 16 and 11. We get two side by side outside, or an outside across from an inside. Both work well, and we are grateful for the second bathroom, especially getting dressed for formal dinners! When they were smaller, we did do one cabin a couple times, but it is tight and not much more fare usually for the second cabin. Happy Cruising!

Two is the way to go. My husband and I had a balcony cabin and our 2 sons had a PR right across from us, this worked so well. WE got an extra key for the boys room and they had one for ours. They spent alot of time in our cabin, mostly on the balcony. We so appreciated the extra space and the PR cabin was not too much more than an inside cabin.

Bev

I will be sailing next July with two 18 yr old's and my husband and am not sure whether to get one cabin for the four of us or two cabins with an adjoining door. Cost is a little bit of an issue but I would like to hear pro and cons from anyone who has sailed with more than 3 people in the same cabin.

Thanks much for any assistance.

If you are sailing on a Voyager class ship, there are a few pairs of rooms that are adjoining or neighboring inside-balcony or oceanview-balcony (decks 6,7,8,9) at the very front and the very rear of the ship. This can give you two cabins with less expense than two balcony cabins.

Definitely go for 2 cabins.If cost is a factor get an ocean view and an inside across the way or even 2 insides if you don't mind them.The extra space and bathroom are more than worth it.We are taking 4 girls with us age 19-21.We booked a D1 and 2 connecting insides.

You are really going to appreciate a second bathroom with two adjoining cabins. Four in a cabin gets really tight if they are all adult size.

You're not gonna get a whole lot of sleep with four in a cabin either. Chances are two of the beds will drop down from the ceiling ... and even if they don't, and are in a sofa bed configuration ... when that sofa bed is open, there will be practically no room at all to walk around. Since the sofa bed will have to remain closed during the day, if someone needs to take a nap, they are going to have to use the other bed ... even if it's not the one they normally sleep in. If the beds drop down from the ceiling, then good luck if someone needs to use the bathroom during the night. Basically it's gonna become a wake-up call to everyone in the cabin as they struggle to climb down the ladder and possibly wind up on top of someone sleeping in the bed below.

No, personally I would just spring for the second room ... a cheap inside of the lowest category if necessary ... in order to spread out and have everyone comfortable. As someone else stated, the extra bathroom will also be very much welcome. Four people getting ready for formal night in one bathroom is gonna be a bit challenging unless some folks start getting ready three hours before dinner.

If money is that much of an issue, I would sooner delay the cruise until I saved up some more than try to wedge four people ... especially if they are all adults ... into one cabin.

Just my opinion ...

Blue skies ...

--rita

The only con I can think of against two cabins is the cost. Unless there was absolutely no way to swing it financially, I would never put our family of four in one room - I'd rather stay home! Even when we were in a GS connecting to a D1, it was still nice to have that separation and second bathroom. As others have mentioned, you can cut down on the cost quite a bit by getting them an inside cabin across the hall from you if you are comfortable with that. Also, we had no problem with closing the door between our two cabins - not sure about locking it, but it closed fine.

Our first cruise on RCCL was with the four of us in one cabin. Bad idea. The couch was not comfortable at all and there just wasn't enough room, and one bathroom?? Never again. Our second cruise was just this past summer and we booked a JS for hubby and me and an inside cabin right across the hall for our two children. Our kids are older (21 and 16) so I was comfortable with that. Having the JS was great because our kids could come over and go out on the balcony or we could just all sit for awhile together. And the two bathrooms were wonderful. Getting ready for dinner was sooo much easier this cruise. If you can afford it I would book two rooms. If you need to go with the one room I would get as large a cabin as possible.

Have a Great Cruise!!

Archived