Question about Maui

dogdaygirl

This is a bit off topic but since it appears many on this post have great knowledge I thought I'd ask here.

I usually cruise but the sea time looks like too much. I was planning a 10 trip to Hawaii and I don't know which island---The Big Island or Maui---would be best to spend that time.

My friend said the beach was better at the Big Island vs Maui. But she had more fun in Maui. She spent 8 days at BIG Island..and then got a puddle jumper to Maui for 4 days. This sounds great to me....I have no idea how much the plane cost.

My question is ...which island would you pick for some beach but mostly adventure. I plan on renting a car. Any suggestions about either island or there personal favorite would be helpful.

Thanks in advance!!

Kris

How about a round trip flight to/from Hawaii instead and a 7 night Honolulu roundtrip cruise on Norwegians Pride of America (POA) which will allow you to see the islands of Oahu, Maui ( overnight ), 2 ports on the Big Island Hawaii, Hilo and Kona, and Kauai ( overnight ). You can then tack on 3 or 4 nights on one of the islands or just stay on Oahu for a few days before or after the cruise.

If you MUST choose only ONE island, that is a very hard choice. They are all so different. And apparently Kauai, which has some spectacular things to see, like Waimea Canyon and Napali Coast, is not even in the running.:). Hawaii has the Volcanoes National Park, but is not known for beaches. But it does have some superb snorkeling. Maui has Haleakala, Road to Hana, Waimea Canyon, Lahaina and great beaches, also good snorkeling, Luaus. If I had to choose, I might pick Maui. Or, with 10 or 11 days, pick 2, probably Maui and Kauai.

This is a bit off topic but since it appears many on this post have great knowledge I thought I'd ask here.

I usually cruise but the sea time looks like too much. I was planning a 10 trip to Hawaii and I don't know which island---The Big Island or Maui---would be best to spend that time.

My friend said the beach was better at the Big Island vs Maui. But she had more fun in Maui. She spent 8 days at BIG Island..and then got a puddle jumper to Maui for 4 days. This sounds great to me....I have no idea how much the plane cost.

My question is ...which island would you pick for some beach but mostly adventure. I plan on renting a car. Any suggestions about either island or there personal favorite would be helpful.

Thanks in advance!!

Kris

Hi Kris, First...I think you should post a new thread for your trip to make responses easier. Sometimes visitors talk about Oahu as the Big Island, because it is the most visited. I assume you mean the island of Hawaii. Two islands is easily doable with 10 days. The interisland flights are about $100 but can be as low as $65. I love the "puddle jumpers" because they tend to fly lower and I think are fun, especially if you fly into the Kapalua airport on Maui. My choice would be Oahu and Maui, or Hawaii and Maui. When you decide on your islands it will be easy to give recommendations. I agree with your friend about the beaches on the Kona/Kohala coast, absolutely gorgeous. Let us know what you decide. Cherie p.s. you will get many different suggestions/opinions because of personal preferences, there's no right or wrong.

Edited by cccole

These are great suggestions.....I really would like to see the volcanos and we love snorkeling in the Caribbean so that would also be nice to try. The suggestion to get a plane and then cruise hop is cool too....never thought of that!! I don't know if posting my question would be a violation as I am not cruising....this time....lol The plan is to go end of March ....from What I've read February and March are rainy.....hoping that doesn't happen. This is my sons HS Graduation gift....he loves to cruise but wants Hawaii!! Thanks for all your input....looking forward to more suggestions!!

Kris

These are great suggestions.....I really would like to see the volcanos and we love snorkeling in the Caribbean so that would also be nice to try. The suggestion to get a plane and then cruise hop is cool too....never thought of that!! I don't know if posting my question would be a violation as I am not cruising....this time....lol The plan is to go end of March ....from What I've read February and March are rainy.....hoping that doesn't happen. This is my sons HS Graduation gift....he loves to cruise but wants Hawaii!! Thanks for all your input....looking forward to more suggestions!!

Kris

I mentioned the round trip Honolulu cruise in case you were not aware it was a possibility. It is a good option for those who have never seen any of the islands as it gives you a taste of each. I have done a land vacation in Kauai and Maui in March. Just recall brief showers, nothing bad. If you are going in March, that will be prime whale viewing time. Maybe one more reason to do Maui as the whales seems to be plentiful around that island, but we saw many in Kauai as well.

I suggest you google each island you are considering. You'll have tons of information on attractions, things to do, at your fingertips. It might make it easier to narrow your options.

This is my sons HS Graduation gift....he loves to cruise but wants Hawaii!! Thanks for all your input....looking forward to more suggestions!!

Kris

Hi Kris,

I'd suggest going to one island for the length of time that you have - Maui would be a good choice with a teenager (but so would any of the other islands, depending on everyone's interests.)

Suggest asking as well on the Hawaii Tripadvisor forum (a sister site to Cruise Critic, but more for land based travel). Here's the link for the forum for the state - but there are also forums for each island. On that page, under the Top Questions (right side of the page) you'll see a link to a summary of the islands which will give you a general idea of what each island has to offer.

Good luck with your plans.:)

Susan

Kris

Volcanoes & snorkeling...Hilo & Maui would be my recommendations.

Hilo is obviously the place to go to Volcanoes National Park & there's great snorkeling/diving in Kona but few sandy beaches. In Maui there are many easily accessible sandy beaches to snorkel/dive and also south of Makena you can view the last Haleakala lava flow from the late 1700s.

If you only want to more fully enjoy one island then Maui would be my recommendation. Each island has their strong points but to me Maui is my choice.

The Hawaii Visitors Bureau has some good info about each island: http://www.gohawaii.com

This Maui Dive Shop brochure has descriptions & maps to snorkel/dive locations: http://www.mauidiveshop.com/Maui-Dive-Surf/files/index.html

It's true that usually February & March are rainy but they're also a good time for whale watching. However what appears to be a strong El Niño season is already affecting the weather in Hawaii. This summer has seen a big increase in tropical storms & El Niño usually results in a drier winter season. And in Hawaii if you don't like the rain many times you can drive a short distance and it will be sunny again. :D

You guys are GREAT!! So many options...lol....i checked out the Norwegian cruise ship ...7 day island hop. It would work out great with my dates!! That cruise line is pricey compared to the other 3 cruise lines I've been on. For the length of travel there making a killing...:eek:lol.....it's funny because they also offer 3 days on land for 1600 more....but that is the same dates I was going to get a hotel anyway!! I want to rent a car for the first 3 days in Honolulu.....do they have a lot of vendors that offer tours on the other islands.....I always try to book a head of time....but if they are plentiful when I get off the ship I won't worry about it. I'm thinking instead of the cruise I might have to see if the puddle jumper...mokulele ....can just jump me and my son to each island...lol....it just might be cheaper!!

You guys are GREAT!! So many options...lol....i checked out the Norwegian cruise ship ...7 day island hop. It would work out great with my dates!! That cruise line is pricey compared to the other 3 cruise lines I've been on. For the length of travel there making a killing...:eek:lol.....it's funny because they also offer 3 days on land for 1600 more....but that is the same dates I was going to get a hotel anyway!! I want to rent a car for the first 3 days in Honolulu.....do they have a lot of vendors that offer tours on the other islands.....I always try to book a head of time....but if they are plentiful when I get off the ship I won't worry about it. I'm thinking instead of the cruise I might have to see if the puddle jumper...mokulele ....can just jump me and my son to each island...lol....it just might be cheaper!!

The reason NCL's prices are so expensive is because they have a monopoly on cruises exclusively within the Hawaiian islands. :(

There's an archaic regulation (PVSA) that allows the situation that results in NCL's monopoly. And with more demand than supply, prices are always high for the cruises that I've checked.

I'd recommend renting cars on all islands except maybe on Oahu which in Honolulu has some of the worst traffic congestion in the US. Oahu has a great public transportation system (The Bus) or you could book through a tour company such as Roberts.

The disadvantage of puddle jumping the Islands is that a good part of each day is wasted going between airports, hotels & rental car offices. On our 1st Hawaii vacation many years ago we visited Oahu, Kauai, Maui & Big Island (Kona & Hilo). It was a busy first Hawaiian vacation & after that we decided that Maui was our favorite island. :D

Edited by Astro Flyer

Morning Everyone!

I was just wondering if anyone knows of a good private tour company or person on Maui? Husband would rather not rent a car, wants to be able to sit back and enjoy himself and enjoy the scenery, not watch the road. I haven't had much luck. Thanks!

Morning Everyone!

I was just wondering if anyone knows of a good private tour company or person on Maui? Husband would rather not rent a car, wants to be able to sit back and enjoy himself and enjoy the scenery, not watch the road. I haven't had much luck. Thanks!

There are a few companies that do Road to Hana and Haleakala tours - but I think most are small group tours, and you don't mention which area(s) of Maui you wish to explore.

Since you were going to do a ship's tour for a part day, what about choosing an all day tour instead so that you can see more of Maui?

You might be able to find something in this list: http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attractions-g29220-Activities-Maui_Hawaii.html#TtD

Re the concern about driving - agree that it wouldn't be much fun focussing on driving most of the day, but that doesn't have to be the case in order to sightsee on Maui. You can limit the amount of driving to a couple of hours and still have a great day on Maui with a variety of sights and activities. But perhaps he wants to avoid driving altogether?

The POA is a great choice since this is for your son's graduation and he loves cruising and he wants Hawaii! It is a little expensive, but most things in Hawaii are, and it is well worth it for the relaxation and convenience.

If you decide to do the cruise, I would not recommend paying an additional $1600 for the 3 days added on. You can do much better booking hotel, etc on your own.

Tours on the islands are not like in the Caribbean. There will be NO tour vendors on the docks. Most things in the islands are easily accessible by your own rental car. No need in spending hundreds of dollars in excursions for one day when you can see many things for the cost of a $40 rental car. Rental car shuttles run from the piers. Book through Discount Hawaii Car Rental website. You really don't need a car in the Waikiki area of Oahu unless you want to head out to the Northshore area. If so, just book for one day. Things like snorkel tours by boat can be booked through the cruise line or independently, and then just drive your own rental car to the meeting spot.

There are a few companies that do Road to Hana and Haleakala tours - but I think most are small group tours, and you don't mention which area(s) of Maui you wish to explore.

Since you were going to do a ship's tour for a part day, what about choosing an all day tour instead so that you can see more of Maui?

You might be able to find something in this list: http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attractions-g29220-Activities-Maui_Hawaii.html#TtD

Re the concern about driving - agree that it wouldn't be much fun focussing on driving most of the day, but that doesn't have to be the case in order to sightsee on Maui. You can limit the amount of driving to a couple of hours and still have a great day on Maui with a variety of sights and activities. But perhaps he wants to avoid driving altogether?

What we wanted to do was see the Iao Valley, Maui Tropical Plantation, Maui Ocean Center, and Lahaina. But the ship excursions only cover some of them. The Iao Valley and the plantation is one, but it's only 3 1/2 hours, The Ocean Center is one, but it's only 3 hours, and that is all you see. There is an excursion that goes to the Iao Valley and Lahaina that is 5 hours, which we are thinking about now and figured the plantation is only 4 or 5 miles from the pier so was thinking about taking a taxi after the excursion. Just thought if we could find someone to take us to the 4 places we want to go would be awesome. We'll be in port for 13 hours. We're already doing a luau in Honolulu.

Those 4 places are about 55 miles of driving in total for the day, and less than 2 hours. I would definitely rent a car - it's easy driving and it's easy to tour all of those places on your own.

The cost of a taxi from the harbor to Maui Tropical Plantation and back will probably be more than the cost of a rental car and gas for the whole day.

Here's a map with all 4 places marked on it - starting and ending at the harbor. Iao Valley is best in the morning (for clear skies) so I would make that the first stop.

Those 4 places are about 55 miles of driving in total for the day, and less than 2 hours. I would definitely rent a car - it's easy driving and it's easy to tour all of those places on your own.

The cost of a taxi from the harbor to Maui Tropical Plantation and back will probably be more than the cost of a rental car and gas for the whole day.

Here's a map with all 4 places marked on it - starting and ending at the harbor. Iao Valley is best in the morning (for clear skies) so I would make that the first stop.

Thank you so much for the info. I guess I'm going to have to talk to the hubby again. lol

Thank you so much for the info. I guess I'm going to have to talk to the hubby again. lol

Add up the excursion prices for the things you want to see and multiply times two and then ask hubby if he would like to see them for $xxx or for $40 bucks total ( plus any admission fees );)

Edited by punkincc

Add up the excursion prices for the things you want to see and multiply times two and then ask hubby if he would like to see them for $xxx or for $40 bucks total ( plus any admission fees );)

Hey Punkincc, it worked......we did it!! We finally talked him into renting a car on Maui! lol I think your map really helped. Now, since I've never rented a car before, could you help me again please? How soon should we reserve it in advance, and what is a good reliable company to go with? Thanks!

Hey Punkincc, it worked......we did it!! We finally talked him into renting a car on Maui! lol I think your map really helped. Now, since I've never rented a car before, could you help me again please? How soon should we reserve it in advance, and what is a good reliable company to go with? Thanks!

Great! But I can't take credit for the map. That must have been someone else.

For rental cars, many, including myself use Discount Hawaii Car Rental website. Just sign up, and be sure to indicate you are a cruise ship passenger. You will be routed directly to the rental companies website, but you retain the discount/perks from DHCR, like 2nd driver free. You pay nothing when you book, so you are free to keep an eye on prices, cancel and rebook as often as you like. So no reason to wait. I think we ended up with Thrifty, but just go with the company who offers the kind of car you want at the lowest rate. In Kona, many people use the rental desk at the King Kam hotel because of close proximity to the ship instead of the airport location. We did not rent in Kona, so I don't know if DHCR is a possibility for the hotel location.

Edited by punkincc

Hey Susan-M, sorry, I was thinking someone else put up the map. :o But wanted to thank you too for the help in making my husband realize that renting a car on Maui is the way to go. After talking to him about your post and punkincc's post he agreed! :) And, believe it or not, I've never had to rent a car before, so now we just have to tackle that problem. LOL

And thank you punkincc, for the rental information. We will check it out now!

Edited by dogdaygirl

Great! But I can't take credit for the map. That must have been someone else.

For rental cars, many, including myself use Discount Hawaii Car Rental website. Just sign up, and be sure to indicate you are a cruise ship passenger. You will be routed directly to the rental companies website, but you retain the discount/perks from DHCR, like 2nd driver free. You pay nothing when you book, so you are free to keep an eye on prices, cancel and rebook as often as you like. So no reason to wait. I think we ended up with Thrifty, but just go with the company who offers the kind of car you want at the lowest rate. In Kona, many people use the rental desk at the King Kam hotel because of close proximity to the ship instead of the airport location. We did not rent in Kona, so I don't know if DHCR is a possibility for the hotel location.

Ok, I was checking out Discount Hawaii Car Rental site. I filled in the info and type of car, but when it came up with prices, it was all from Alamo. Do they compare them all and just give you the cheapest price?..........or is there a way to pick a rental company yourself? Not that I'm picky, just courious. Want to make sure I'm using the site correctly. Thanks!

No problem re the map, and glad that the advice that we offered here helped with your 'cause'.:)

Re DHCR - when you go through the quote process on their website, it gives you quotes with numerous agencies. In this link, http://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/index.shtml when you click on "pick up location", scroll down to "Maui Island" and then choose "Cruise Passenger -> Kahului".

The other option is to use this page http://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/cruiseshipreservation.shtml - click on "Maui Island" in the tabs about 1/3 of the way down the page, then check rates with each brand (when you click on the Brand #, a link to one of the major agencies will come up, along with a discount code). This DHCR link also shows shuttle info for each brand (in the chart beside Brand #) - but Alamo's not included on that page (they are Brand 1), so if you are booking with Alamo, you'll need to find out if there's shuttle service (the rental agencies are at the airport, a few miles from the harbor.)

Hope that's not too confusing ... but if it is, be sure to ask here again, or phone DHCR.:)

Edited by Susan-M

No problem re the map, and glad that the advice that we offered here helped with your 'cause'.:)

Re DHCR - when you go through the quote process on their website, it gives you quotes with numerous agencies. In this link, http://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/index.shtml when you click on "pick up location", scroll down to "Maui Island" and then choose "Cruise Passenger -> Kahului".

The other option is to use this page http://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/cruiseshipreservation.shtml - click on "Maui Island" in the tabs about 1/3 of the way down the page, then check rates with each brand (when you click on the Brand #, a link to one of the major agencies will come up, along with a discount code). This DHCR link also shows shuttle info for each brand (in the chart beside Brand #) - but Alamo's not included on that page (they are Brand 1), so if you are booking with Alamo, you'll need to find out if there's shuttle service (the rental agencies are at the airport, a few miles from the harbor.)

Hope that's not too confusing ... but if it is, be sure to ask here again, or phone DHCR.:)

Thank you so much for the links! Not having much luck right now though. I guess I need to wait until it gets a little closer. I always try to do things waaay too early.........just to excited to get all the planning done. I drive my family crazy. LOL :D

Thank you so much for the links! Not having much luck right now though. I guess I need to wait until it gets a little closer. I always try to do things waaay too early.........just to excited to get all the planning done. I drive my family crazy. LOL :D

Is your trip next month, or October 2016?