Norwegian Cruise Line Changes Service Charge Policy

LauraS

This is the reason for the thread.

Discretion has been taken away.

You now have to seek compensation through a letter to shoreside.

It wasn't taken away - it just now has a lot of wait time added to it plus lost most of face-to-face interaction. That's all,

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

It's OK... this discussion is interesting but will not in anyway be the deciding factor in whatever I do with my $. And the DSC is my money, not NCL's, that I choose to give for good service.

Good is subjective, of course.

So, you don't understand how the system works?

It is not a charge for 'good' service. It's a charge for service. Which you will get.Now that you have been informed of how the system works do you still plan to stiff the crew?

So, you don't understand how the system works?

It is not a charge for 'good' service. It's a charge for service. Which you will get.Now that you have been informed of how the system works do you still plan to stiff the crew?

Asked and answered.

So its a charge for service, terrible or awful or poor service as well? Counter productive.

Edited by legion3

Because dsc doesnt go to crew in my opinion it goes to revenue

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Crew still needs to get paid. I've said it before the sevice charges only stretch so far. Why would NCL treat this as revenue when that is subject to taxes etc? If the service charges pass directly to the crew there are no tax implications for the line.

This is the reason for the thread.

Discretion has been taken away.

You now have to seek compensation through a letter to shoreside.

They've changed a procedure. If I had a service issue onboard and it doesn't get addressed then I am confident that I would receive a refund. Of course I have never received substandard service.

It's hard for me to understand why so many on this forum hate NCL and yet continue to cruise this line...if you don't like it, book elsewhere. IF you don't like the service, it is as simple as filing a claim when you get home for a refund of the service charge. We have cruised NCL many times and have had very good service and a great time no matter where we cruise. We have encountered bad service from a butler once, and did not tip him. In retrospect we should have talked to the Hotel Director. Bottom line, is no one HAS to cruise this line. If you love being in a rage and a swivet, guess you will continue. We are happy cruisers.

It's hard for me to understand why so many on this forum hate NCL and yet continue to cruise this line...if you don't like it, book elsewhere. IF you don't like the service, it is as simple as filing a claim when you get home for a refund of the service charge. We have cruised NCL many times and have had very good service and a great time no matter where we cruise. We have encountered bad service from a butler once, and did not tip him. In retrospect we should have talked to the Hotel Director. Bottom line, is no one HAS to cruise this line. If you love being in a rage and a swivet, guess you will continue. We are happy cruisers.

I know, all this hate but sailing with them is like free advertisement for the the line - "NCL - The non-plussed curse out line of those that hate to the core, but still cruising it anyway, despite other lines."

Nobody hates NCL. Although some love it too much. But the DSC is discretionary not based on any type of service.

I know, all this hate but sailing with them is like free advertisement for the the line - "NCL - The non-plussed curse out line of those that hate to the core, but still cruising it anyway, despite other lines."

What? :D Now that is funny. :p

And some hate them so much but love to sail with them.

It's the perfect free advertisement for a line - hate it so much but still willing to pay thousands in fare to sail it but not $189 in DSC. Literally, the actions and mentality of those removing just to not pay it, makes NCL look good the longer this goes / drags on. The perfect free ad of all time.

And some hate them so much but love to sail with them.

This would not be me, I neither hate them nor love to sail with them. Their product is OK but not my favorite. If not for the previous UDP give away, and given the rise in fares since, their product is no longer as attractive as it might have been.

I love to sail, the line is not that important.

It's the perfect free advertisement for a line - hate it so much but still willing to pay thousands in fare to sail it but not $189 in DSC. Literally, the actions and mentality of those removing just to not pay it, makes NCL look good the longer this goes / drags on. The perfect free ad of all time.

Do you actually read what you write? Some of your stuff is really out there in fantasy land. I know its meant to be clever and to be a shot at those who don't agree with you and make you feel better but its not reality.

How is this advertising for the line? :rolleyes:

This would not be me, I neither hate them nor love to sail with them. Their product is OK but not my favorite. If not for the previous UDP give away, and given the rise in fares since, their product is no longer as attractive as it might have been.

I love to sail, the line is not that important.

If the line is not important as you claim - why are sailing on NCL instead of Royal / Carnival/ Princess/ Holland/ Celebrity. Because one look at the procedure / explanation is more than enough to make people who want their DSC back easily, to reconsider ever putting a deposit down with NCL due to being smart. Guess not for some people on this thread and forum, I suppose they like waiting for weeks & going through unnecessary drama / exercise of following up on pennies of DSC instead of thousands of dollars of the fare......To each their own.

If the line is not important as you claim - why are sailing on NCL instead of Royal / Carnival/ Princess/ Holland/ Celebrity. Because one look at the procedure / explanation is more than enough to make people who want their DSC back easily, to reconsider ever putting a deposit down with NCL due to being smart. Guess not for some people on this thread and forum, I suppose they like waiting for weeks & going through unnecessary drama / exercise of following up on pennies of DSC instead of thousands of dollars of the fare......To each their own.

To each their own.

If it was me and I like a another line better there would be no way I would spend my money on the line I just think is OK or don't like even if a promo exists

The Food on NCL is not very good according to posts you have said so I would think the UDP would not be a really attractive promo for someone that just thinks the line is just ok

If it was me and I like a another line better there would be no way I would spend my money on the line I just think is OK or don't like even if a promo exists

The Food on NCL is not very good according to posts you have said so I would think the UDP would not be a really attractive promo for someone that just thinks the line is just ok

Food in the MDR is not so good but OK in other venues.

In the end however its not you were talking about and I'm not you. My reasons are my own. Does not change the situation about DSC.

Crew still needs to get paid. I've said it before the sevice charges only stretch so far. Why would NCL treat this as revenue when that is subject to taxes etc? If the service charges pass directly to the crew there are no tax implications for the line.

It shouldn't anyway, money in revenue, money out, expense. You don't pay taxes on your revenues, you pay it on the net income.

I believe the issue is more in paying TA commissions, they don't want that amount added and then have to pay commissions on it.

Do you actually read what you write? Some of your stuff is really out there in fantasy land. I know its meant to be clever and to be a shot at those who don't agree with you and make you feel better but its not reality.

How is this advertising for the line? :rolleyes:

Abe3's response pretty much answers that post - the best endorsement cames those that hate something but still uses/travels/goes to it anyway than from someone who likes /loves it. Why? A person who hates it, is going to list the all the cons they think is bad but to others deciding , that might actually be plus since the person hating it is still traveling on it. That's actually better endorsement/advertisement than from person liking /loving the line, who's probably listing the positives but the bad about it. Its perfect and greatest thing about it - you, yourself don't want to realize it even when the opposition tell /call you out on. *smirk*

Abe3's response pretty much answers that post - the best endorsement cames those that hate something but still uses/travels/goes to it anyway than from someone who likes /loves it. Why? A person who hates it, is going to list the all the cons they think is bad but to others deciding , that might actually be plus since the person hating it is still traveling on it. That's actually better endorsement/advertisement than from person liking /loving the line, who's probably listing the positives but the bad about it. Its perfect and greatest thing about it - you, yourself don't want to realize it even when the opposition tell /call you out on. *smirk*

You like to talk about hate a lot. People disagreeing about certain shoreside issues does not mean they hate them.

If you have an argument with someone, do you hate them afterwards? I sure hope not.

NCL has issues, doesn't make me hate them

Edited by SuiteCruiser

It shouldn't anyway, money in revenue, money out, expense. You don't pay taxes on your revenues, you pay it on the net income.

I believe the issue is more in paying TA commissions, they don't want that amount added and then have to pay commissions on it.

The TA commission is one of the arguments against including it in the fare. I am not an accountant but I have had accountants tell me why it matters (but my eyes always glaze over). In any event crew salaries still have to be paid and those salaries exceed the amount collected through the service charges. The way things are I can adjust it if I need to but if it were part of the fare or mandatory I would not be able to.

The TA commission is one of the arguments against including it in the fare. I am not an accountant but I have had accountants tell me why it matters (but my eyes always glaze over). In any event crew salaries still have to be paid and those salaries exceed the amount collected through the service charges. The way things are I can adjust it if I need to but if it were part of the fare or mandatory I would not be able to.

They can make it part of the non-commissionable fare (NCF), which eliminates the commission issue. Having owned a travel agency, I can tell you that there are no fixed definitions of how the NCF is determined, so I can't see why NCL would have any difficulty doing that if they wanted to.

Edited by njhorseman