Just off Explorer 9/18 9/25

wanda1213

I want to start by saying this is my opinion and any comments are based on my personal experience with Royal Caribbean.

We got to dock around 11:30 and had to wait about 15 min. before we were able to get on ship. Cabins were not ready until 1 so we ate lunch first. If you register online, your wait time will be much less. There are two lines and the process goes much smoother if you register online before you cruise.

Cabin- We had cabin 7200. It was a FO. The view was excellent. We were at the front of the ship, just like looking aout of the bridge. Our room was spacious enough for the 5 of us, but you had to be organized enough to keep up with things with that many in a room. The storage was mostly for hang up clothing, so bring along extra hangers. I have to say it, I am sorry to smokers out there...

Our room smelled so much of smoke that at night, my kids actually said their thorat and nose was burning. I went to guest relations but the ship was full so there was nothing they could do. I feel like there should be rooms that are non-smoking for those of us who do not like the smell. I actually had to give my son a breathing treatment one night because of his asthma.

The shows on the ship were great. We really enjoyed all of them. We may not have liked some of the music, but very talented people on the ship.

Ocean Explorers: My kids are 4, 8 and 10. Each one was in a different room. All of them were well organized and just wonderful. The staff knew all kids by name quickly and really got involved in all activities. They don't just sit around while the kids play. They have a schedule of activities for each day and my kids never wanted to leave. Most nights they stayed after 10 because they never wanted to leave. You have to pay $5 an hour after 10, but well worth it. The kids have such a good time. They are well supervised. You can sign up the first night on the ship or anytime throughout the week.

Food: I thought the food was OK. Nothing to get to excited about. The wait staff on the other hand was tremendous. They are wonderful. Everyone is very nice and interesting to talk to and learn about their lives. They are more than willing to share their stories with you.

Ship: Considering the ship is in dry dock this week, I found it is good shape. (Except for our room) Most areas were very clean. Carpet worn in some areas but that will all change this week. The ship is getting evevrything cleaned this week or replaced. The dining rooms are getting scrubbed from top to bottom. Cabins are getting carpet replaced or cleaned, new bedspreads and drapes. I think anyone sailing sonn will be very pleased with the condition of the ship.

Last day: This process leaves something to be desired. If you have a particular time you want to get off ship, write down at least a 1/2 hour earlier. They are always running behind and if you don't want to miss a flight or have a car waiting, you will need to get off earlier than you think.

We had some rocky seas, but that is common for this time of year. For the most part the cruise was wonderful and we would do it again, but I will go with a balcony so I can let fresh air in.

If you have any questions, I will be happy to answer anything.

Hi - thanks for your post! We are going on Explorer in December. Not my first cruise but my first one on RCCL. I probably have lots of questions!!

did you do any excursions? which ones and where?

did you use internet at all on board? i did not take my laptop last cruise but might have to this time (word), learning about data speed and cost of wi-fi on board.

this ship has ice rink? is there a cost? can you rent skates?

same question sfor in-line skating? my kids are looking forward to this ship!

last cruise (another cruise line) we got a soda card for kids. I know Explorer has one but I am not clear about the gratuity they add - is that each time the child orders a drink or they stick a 15% grautity when you purchase the card? just curious

I hear no self serve laundry on this cruiseline...so no iron...

we have a balcony room. Do they automatically stick the two beds together to make a queen or do you have to request it from someone?

are robes available?

sorry for so many questions!! i know the answers for Princess!!! ha

I was also onboard the 18th - 25th. I had been on Explorer in 2002 and was disappointed in the condition and service this time. I will never sail the week before dry dock again, I think some of the staff was just ready to move on. Our cabin attendant did not introduce himself, and on day 3, I finally went up to him in the hall and asked if he was our attendant. We ordered room service twice, and neither time got the right meal, and one time waited over an hour for breakfast to be delivered. Our waiter in the dining room was fabulous, but his assistant was horrible. We waited 45 minutes for our soda and tea one night. We made a game out of timing how long we had to sit without beverages each night. We complained to our main waiter and the assistant was better the remainder of the cruise. Oh, and I have always looked forward to the waiters cutting the food for my children, they have done this on EVERY cruise for us, but not this time. I will be writing to RCCL and let them know that this service is not of the level we are accustomed to on their ships.

OK enough complaining, of course I will be sailing with RCCL next year again.

Now to answer some questions:

Are you Eastern or Western, I have done both and have lots of recommendations.

No charge for skates, ice or inline.

last cruise (another cruise line) we got a soda card for kids. I know Explorer has one but I am not clear about the gratuity they add - is that each time the child orders a drink or they stick a 15% grautity when you purchase the card? just curious

The 15% is on top of the cost of the card.

we have a balcony room. Do they automatically stick the two beds together to make a queen or do you have to request it from someone?

We always do a D1 and JS aft, and beds are always together.

are robes available?

Just ask cabin steward for one first day, we always have, but since my cabin steward was in hiding most of the week, we did not get robes.

Was there even a lot of kids onboard?? I would imagine not as school just started for a lot of kids.

Not alot of kids, most in any club at any one time was 10 to 15. All kids were well behaved, and not a problem.

Western Caribbean--Costa Maya and Grand Cayman, please!

I have done 6 cruises and have not done either of these ports. If the wind blows even a little, you won't get into Gran Cayman. I have been on three cruises where that port was cancelled due to high winds and waves.

Sorry I could not have been more help.

We were in Grand Cayman 2 weeks ago on the Explorer. We booked our own excurion through Native Way Tours. We did their Rays, Reef and Rum Point Excursion and had a great time. We went snorkling at the reef, feed the sting Rays at the sand bar and then headed over to a resort on Rum Point. We had a great lunch which we were able to order off the menu and we were able to use the resorts beach chairs, hammocks, volley ball court etc. I would highly recommend this excursion. We were the only ship in port that day, so we had Rum Point beach all to our selves.

We had an aft cabin on deck 10 and Manuel was a wonderful room steward. I asked for robes and got them the first day, he made cute towel animals every night. The balcony was a real treat. It was the first time in 4 cruises that we booked a balcony. I will definately do it again.

Our waiters Umut and Fitzroy were terrific. They made sure my girls never ran out of chocolate milk, they offered to cut their food and they had a great riddle every night for the girls to figure out.

Gregory from the cruise director staff was our very favorite person on the ship. He was very helpful, funny and charming.

We went to our Meet and Mingle meeting and were so glad that we did. Throughout the week we ran into several familiar faces.

I have been home for a week now and sure miss the mints on my pillow and my bed being turned down.

Thanks for the review! We'll be on her November 6th!

I'd like to know about the 15% too. Anyone know?

~Connie

thanks to everyone for all the info?

If you do a tour in Cayman thru Nativeways or another tour beside the ship--what happens if weather doesnt allow you to dock at Cayman - as suggested by someone - can you cancel the tour or are you stuck?

also interested in the question someone asked about irons - are there any on board?

We did a snorkel and stingray through Captain Marvin's. We were lucky and were able to tender. If the ship can't get in, they don't charge your credit card. If the ship does get in and you don't show up, they do charge your card. We had a great time. It worked out really well. Much less people than on a ship excursion.

thanks to everyone for all the info?

also interested in the question someone asked about irons - are there any on board?

There are no Irons for borrowing on board any of RCCL's ships.

I bring my own (travel size) normally but this next cruise we are just sending out clothes that need ironing out the day we board. The prices aren't bad, IMO and I hate to iron.

We did not care for San Juan. I thought it was dirty and run down. Not much to do.

did you use internet at all on board? i did not take my laptop last cruise but might have to this time (word), learning about data speed and cost of wi-fi on board.

We did not

ICe rink is on ship, there is no cost. They even give lessons. Make sure you pack long pants because you cannot skate without them. In-line skates are free also

Once you pay for your drink card, that is it.

You just show it and get drinks. They just look at the card

I hear no self serve laundry on this cruiseline...so no iron...

No laundry service and no iron. I use spray bottle with water

You have toa sk for beds to be put together, or at least we did.

are robes available?

You can ask for them

I was on this cruise as well....Let me tell you about my experience.

We arrived in Miami on Saturday, stayed the night at the Palms in South Beach (It wasn't what I expected :( . I've stayed at the Lowes before which I would go back to.) We hooked up w/ some of the people from our meet n mingle for dinner at bayside- which was nice.

Anyway, getting on the ship was no problem, pretty painless and not too long of a wait. We had a balcony which was nice. The shower was TINY!!! Shaving your legs :eek: major task. Our room did not smell, I did bring febreeze just in case, but did not use it. I do recommend bathroom spray. There were some cabins that didn't and you knew their business - :eek: !!!

The club - The Chamber - the music pretty much sucked. Which was a real disappointment because we really wanted to dance. We kept popping in hopes it would get better. Oh, Well - you can't have everything.

We thought the food was great. Our waiter was Felix and Assist. Waiter Fitzroy. Talk about a trip. Dinner was Fun - we enjoyed the people we sat with at dinner - we laughed every night.

I didn't bring an Iron, and thankfully my clothes weren't wrinkled - to my surprise!!! We did bring our own alcohol. $5.95 for the drink of the day was too pricey for me.... So, we bought 1 soda card, and had my husband get me drinks when I wanted one - then we added our own rum :) . No big deal....

San Juan we did on our own - The Bacardi Tour. It was $1.00 round trip for the ferry and $2.50 per person for taxi ride (included tip) So, we saved some cash there.

St. Maarten due to previous days storms the water was a little churned up for snorkeling - not too bad, but not the best. There were small waves at the beach.

US Virgin islands - Paradise Point - Excellent for Pictures!!!! Kon Tiki, was fun. We brought our own snorkeling stuff so when we went to the beach we were able to do that. We were glad we did the water was BEAUTIFUL. Tons of things to look at from Starfish, Sea Urchins, Conchs, Fish, and even a Squid!!!

Bahamas - Just say no Thank You to the Peddlers. We shopped a bit first then did our snorkeling. BEAUTIFUL SNORKELING the waters are crystal clear...

I didn't notice any major flaws with the boat. I was pleased with my vacation. We had a great time and are looking to book another trip soon. If you have any questions, let me know, I'll be happy to share :) .

Tami

Just Remember : "Your vacation is what YOU make of it!"

I was on this cruise as well....Let me tell you about my experience.

We arrived in Miami on Saturday, stayed the night at the Palms in South Beach (It wasn't what I expected :( . I've stayed at the Lowes before which I would go back to.) We hooked up w/ some of the people from our meet n mingle for dinner at bayside- which was nice.

Anyway, getting on the ship was no problem, pretty painless and not too long of a wait. We had a balcony which was nice. The shower was TINY!!! Shaving your legs :eek: major task. Our room did not smell, I did bring febreeze just in case, but did not use it. I do recommend bathroom spray. There were some cabins that didn't and you knew their business - :eek: !!!

The club - The Chamber - the music pretty much sucked. Which was a real disappointment because we really wanted to dance. We kept popping in hopes it would get better. Oh, Well - you can't have everything.

We thought the food was great. Our waiter was Felix and Assist. Waiter Fitzroy. Talk about a trip. Dinner was Fun - we enjoyed the people we sat with at dinner - we laughed every night.

I didn't bring an Iron, and thankfully my clothes weren't wrinkled - to my surprise!!! We did bring our own alcohol. $5.95 for the drink of the day was too pricey for me.... So, we bought 1 soda card, and had my husband get me drinks when I wanted one - then we added our own rum :) . No big deal....

San Juan we did on our own - The Bacardi Tour. It was $1.00 round trip for the ferry and $2.50 per person for taxi ride (included tip) So, we saved some cash there.

St. Maarten due to previous days storms the water was a little churned up for snorkeling - not too bad, but not the best. There were small waves at the beach.

US Virgin islands - Paradise Point - Excellent for Pictures!!!! Kon Tiki, was fun. We brought our own snorkeling stuff so when we went to the beach we were able to do that. We were glad we did the water was BEAUTIFUL. Tons of things to look at from Starfish, Sea Urchins, Conchs, Fish, and even a Squid!!!

Bahamas - Just say no Thank You to the Peddlers. We shopped a bit first then did our snorkeling. BEAUTIFUL SNORKELING the waters are crystal clear...

I didn't notice any major flaws with the boat. I was pleased with my vacation. We had a great time and are looking to book another trip soon. If you have any questions, let me know, I'll be happy to share :) .

Tami

Just Remember : "Your vacation is what YOU make of it!"

It is what you make of it, but when the cabin smells so bad of smaoke you have to give your child an inhaler treatment, it kind of puts a damper on things. We had a good time on the ship, just our cabin was a huge dissappointment.

Archived