First time to Asia

Gath

We are first time travellers to Asia and are sailing on the Mariner of the Seas visiting Singapore, Port Kelang, Penang and Langkawi in October.

I would be grateful for any advice on where to visit and which excursions to try so as to make the most of our time. Many thanks.

There is a long thread on what to do in Singapore.

We usually check the ship's excursions to see what is offered in a port. If the country and the ports are new to us, we usually book he ship's excursions. If we are somewhat familiar with the area, we head out on our own.

We are first time travellers to Asia and are sailing on the Mariner of the Seas visiting Singapore, Port Kelang, Penang and Langkawi in October.

I would be grateful for any advice on where to visit and which excursions to try so as to make the most of our time. Many thanks.

Hi Gath,

This will be our first time to Asia as well, we won't be there until Jan, but from the research I've done on Port Klang, I have been advised by many to do the ships tour especially if your wanting to go into Kuala Lumpur as the traffic can be pretty bad.

Hope this helps

Hi Gath,

This will be our first time to Asia as well, we won't be there until Jan, but from the research I've done on Port Klang, I have been advised by many to do the ships tour especially if your wanting to go into Kuala Lumpur as the traffic can be pretty bad.

Hope this helps

I would totally agree with the suggestion that you do a ship tour. Port Klang is a considerable distance from Kuala Lumpur. We were on a ship tour there a few years ago. The bus left the Towers shopping center around 5ish in the afternoon. We got caught in a major traffic jam. We arrived back at the ship about 1 hour AFTER sailing time. Fortunately for us, the ship was still sitting there waiting for us!

Singapore is great. We spent five days there prior to our cruise.

Suggest Tour East tour company.

We did a Chinatown tour that included a harbor cruise at night with dinner in Chinatown.

We did a tour of the island focused on WWII that was great.

Also, the Botanical Gardens and Jurong Bird Park are great.

Make sure you visit the Raffles Hotel.

Agree entirely with posts about taking a ships tour in Port Klang, friends who live in KL say traffic is very busy and unpredictable.

Singapore, oh my goodness, you could be there a week and not even scratch the surface.

Its easy to get around, spotlessly clean, people are super friendly.

I wouldn't miss Gardens by the Bay or the free nightly skyshow at the base of The Marina Bay Sands Hotel.

I would totally agree with the suggestion that you do a ship tour. Port Klang is a considerable distance from Kuala Lumpur. We were on a ship tour there a few years ago. The bus left the Towers shopping center around 5ish in the afternoon. We got caught in a major traffic jam. We arrived back at the ship about 1 hour AFTER sailing time. Fortunately for us, the ship was still sitting there waiting for us!

Oh my goodness, yes that's what I've read about. Typically we like privates, but in this case we will feel much better with the ships tour :)

Did you see the Batu caves on your excursion to Kuala Lumpur?

• 4 weeks later...

I will throw a spanner in the works here. I totally understand the worry involved with not making it back to the ship... but, We did a private tour (name of tour guide is gone sorry) who picked us up from Port Klang at 7:30 am. We drove straight to Batu caves for about 2 hours then over to the KL tower. First small tip, go to KL tower for the observation deck, not Petronas Towers. While it's not the Petronas Towers, you can go there anytime, buy a ticket and go up. With Petronas Towers, you must book and pay in advance (like seven days), and it is non-refundable if you are late. KL Tower had awesome views of all of KL. We then went to a market where we had lunch (own choice and pay) then we went to the Kings Palace. You can't go inside, but the gate is impressive. Second small tip, if you give a small tip to the guards (who are dressed in all their regalia, with horses), you can get close and take photos with them. If you don't tip, they will look away in most cases, and can even get the horses to look away. You can simply slip the tip into their boots. Once you tip, click away as much as you want.

We left to go back to the ship by about 2:30 pm that by then we had seen enough of KL. I am sure there would be more to see, but we were happy with what we saw. I wouldn't rush to go back there, that's for sure! We never hit any bad traffic at all. Remembering, you're a fair way from the city so by the time you drive from the port to the city, peak hour is finished, and leave early enough, and you will beat the afternoon rush as well.

Hope this helps..

Cheers