Breakaway Internet Package Question

MMMD

I just purchased the unlimited internet package for my cruise beginning on Sunday.

I was told it's for one device at a time.

My question(s)

Do I still put my iPhone6 in airplane mode? I want to use the phone for pictures & instagram mostly. I'm unsure of the procedures for texting or calls. I have Verizon.

When I switch devices to my ipad or Kindle -do I just connect to the wi-fi like at home?

Thanks!

With iPhone 5s/6/6+ and newest 6s running iOS 8.4.x and/or 9.0.x - make sure you understand how the roaming data functioned & for billing purposes - keep it OFF to avoid nasty surprises for the next 1 or 2 billing cycles (it sometimes don't catch up for 60 days ... and, with auto bill-payment ;) )

On the Breakaway, the internet packages generally only allow one device to be logged into the ship's exclusive WiFi intranet/internet system at a time for usage, you can have MULTIPLE devices registered to the same userid/password protected account - but one active connection at any given time, whether it's on an unlimited plan for the duration of the cruise, or, based on the data bundle selected (100 MB, 500MB, etc.) - not sure if PAYG option is offered on the BA (other ships did/do have ... this is primarily for the *Away class ships with the newer/est hardware/firmware & iConcierge Apps up & running)

Please refer to previous Q&A & comments/updates posted numerous times here on iConcierge & ship's WiFi, etc. etc.

On a somewhat related note (not related to VZW's data options/extra $$$ plans for roaming at sea) - those on T-Mobile's postpaid Simple Choice / (latest - N.A. plan) - be sure to understand how your iOS 9's functions on "WiFi assisted" calling are setup & working (billed too) if you are using it & it switched to cellular signal on a marginal connection. Otherwise, voice calling on paid/free WiFi data with iPhone 5 and 6's are great - we just returned from a 2 week land-based Asia vacation & called home (USA) free on T-Mobile's partner carriers abroad, using free roaming data. Unfortunately, VZW does not have and/or support such functionality (yet) on iOS/iPhones & I know of frequent flyers switching from AT&T WS to T-Mo to take advantage of it. All these - could save $$ in foreign ports without looking for that internet cafe, McD's or Starbucks; but, not while at sea on a cruise ships :D

Do I still put my iPhone6 in airplane mode? I want to use the phone for pictures & instagram mostly. I'm unsure of the procedures for texting or calls. I have Verizon.

When I switch devices to my ipad or Kindle -do I just connect to the wi-fi like at home?

Minimum ensure data roaming is OFF.

Leaving airplane mode off allows you to receive [expensive] calls and text messages.

Ship Internet allows you to use iMessage.

When you want to switch, open a browser and log on to your shipboard account.

Satellite internet is not the best for large pictures.