Flying into Orlando, Staying in Cocoa Beach, Cruising out of Canaveral

violetsmile

I'm playing the vacation transportation game, and looking for feedback!

I'm flying into Orlando in March for a cruise, thinking about all my options. This is our first time in Orlando, so I don't know the area at all. I realize it's a bit of a jaunt between Orlando International and the port, so transpo fees are going to be a bit higher than usual. I'm thinking:

Fly into Orlando International on Friday

Shuttle to Cocoa Beach for overnight hotel stay Friday Night

Shuttle to Port Canaveral for cruise Saturday morning

Enjoy Cruise

Shuttle to Orlando International to fly home the following Saturday

I was looking at the Hilton Cocoa Beach Oceanfront as our hotel, and they link to Smart-Two Shuttles as their shuttle partner. When I put in all those days/times I listed above, it gives me a final price of $139 for two people for all that transportation. That seems like a REALLY good deal. The only downside is that our flight gets in before noon on Friday, and the first pick-up isn't until 2:15. I searched for Smart Two here on CC, and only one thread mentions them.

Does anyone have a better plan of attack or suggestions?

Thanks!

Oh, looks like it's not quite *all* our transportation. It's really Airport to Hotel, then Cruise Port to Airport. It doesn't include hotel to cruise port, although a quick Google tells me a taxi from Cocoa Beach to Port Canaveral is only about $10, so that's not a deal breaker at all.

I would do a one-way car rental between the Orlando airport and Cocoa Beach. Then you use the rental agency shuttle to get to the ship. After the cruise, use a shuttle back to the airport.

Having the rental car gives you flexibility to dine when and where you want, stop for last minute items, wine, etc.

Edited by clarea

I am looking for the same info. I was looking into a shuttle from Orlando to Cocoa Beach hotel. Rented a car before just want to use a shuttle this time. I was looking into the Hilton however from what I have read it is not close to any restaurants and/or stores for last minute items. Last time cruised out of Port Canaveral stayed in hotel in Cocoa and rented a car. Want to get a shuttle this time and stay in a hotel in Cocoa Beach. I am looking for a nice/clean hotel in Cocoa Beach near restaurants/stores within walking distance. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

We are also staying in Cocoa Beach and shuttling from MCO. I haven't booked a shuttle yet but looking at the Florida BBB website, there are only a few accredited companies. I know lots of people recommend Cocoa Beach Shuttle and Cotrans but I found a few accredited agencies who have great reviews and the price for a private van for 7 of us is cheaper than a shared shuttle from other agencies - Florida Sunshine Shuttle and Orlando Chauffeured Services are two of them I am considering. We are staying at Holiday Inn Port Canaveral (in Cocoa Beach) which is close to restaurants and shopping. Booking the room and transportation separately was quite a bit cheaper than their fly, snooze and cruise package.

Edited by jtdlmc

Which Holiday Inn?? Holiday Inn Cape Canaveral Beach Resort or Holiday Inn and Suites Cocoa Beach?? Thanks!

Oh sorry!!! It is Comfort Inn and Suites Port Canaveral Area. It is actually in Cocoa Beach on Atlantic Ave. I've been booking so many hotels this week that I am now mixing them up!

We stood at the Days Inn Cape Canaveral a couple of years ago - also on Atlantic Blvd. It was within walking distance to restaurants and shops. We booked 2 suites and they were great!

This time around we decided to book a little closer to the port and booked with Residence Inn. We'll see how that goes. Still doing the shuttle search. But we've got a little bit of time and several options to go with. Travelynx gave us the best deal so far!

Thank you both. Will check those out. I was excited about s few hotels. Checked reviews on Trip Advisor and folks wrote about bed bugs and cock roaches and posted photos. Oh my!! I am moving on and checking more hotels out. So thank you again!!

Thank you both. Will check those out. I was excited about s few hotels. Checked reviews on Trip Advisor and folks wrote about bed bugs and cock roaches and posted photos. Oh my!! I am moving on and checking more hotels out. So thank you again!!

LOL yes, there are actually very few reasonably priced hotels I looked at that had good ratings on tripadvisor. I didn't want to spend a lot on a room for a few hours between airport and cruise, especially with the Canadian dollar the way it is and I was losing hope! I actually had booked one that had some great reviews and some terrible reviews but then second thought it and found a good price at Comfort Inn. The reviews seem pretty good so far :)

I am looking for the same info. I was looking into a shuttle from Orlando to Cocoa Beach hotel. Rented a car before just want to use a shuttle this time. I was looking into the Hilton however from what I have read it is not close to any restaurants and/or stores for last minute items. Last time cruised out of Port Canaveral stayed in hotel in Cocoa and rented a car. Want to get a shuttle this time and stay in a hotel in Cocoa Beach. I am looking for a nice/clean hotel in Cocoa Beach near restaurants/stores within walking distance. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I guess it depends on your definition of "close." Google Maps shows a Publix about 0.5 mile away, and several restaurants with decent reviews about the same distance. My priority for the 8 hours we'll be in Cocoa Beach was beach proximity. :-) We're fine with walking--it helps compensate for all the eating we do on vacation!--so we never bother to rent a car.

We are also staying in Cocoa Beach and shuttling from MCO. I haven't booked a shuttle yet but looking at the Florida BBB website, there are only a few accredited companies. I know lots of people recommend Cocoa Beach Shuttle and Cotrans but I found a few accredited agencies who have great reviews and the price for a private van for 7 of us is cheaper than a shared shuttle from other agencies - Florida Sunshine Shuttle and Orlando Chauffeured Services are two of them I am considering. We are staying at Holiday Inn Port Canaveral (in Cocoa Beach) which is close to restaurants and shopping. Booking the room and transportation separately was quite a bit cheaper than their fly, snooze and cruise package.

Duh! Thanks for the suggestions to check the BBB. There are only two of us, so a shuttle is probably still our best best. I hadn't found Cotrans, so I'll be looking at them, too. Cocoa Beach Shuttle was actually cheaper than the Two Smart recommended by the hotel, too.

With Cocoa Beach Shuttle, it looks like I'll have to call them to get more info, but do they do earlier pick ups? We fly in a bit before noon, and don't particularly want to wait around the airport for hours for the shuttle to fill--that's valuable beach time! The Two Smart shuttle doesn't start picking up until 2:15.

With Cocoa Beach Shuttle, it looks like I'll have to call them to get more info, but do they do earlier pick ups? We fly in a bit before noon, and don't particularly want to wait around the airport for hours for the shuttle to fill--that's valuable beach time! The Two Smart shuttle doesn't start picking up until 2:15.

Cocoa Beach Shuttle told me they pick up every 30 minutes at MCO and they group people arriving around the same time, so I think maybe you are scheduled for a specific shuttle and don't have to wait around for it to fill up, but I'm not sure on that?

If you have early pre cruise flight and/or post cruise I highly recommend renting a car. Florida is the easiest place to drive and it would give you the freedom to go to restaurants you would miss. After our cruise we were able to drive to an orange grove and bring some home in our carry on.

We had thought about renting a car, even went so far as to reserve one but after thinking about it we decided we will find a hotel within walking distance to restaurants, shopping and the beach, (seems like there are lots of them in the Cocoa Beach area) we would rather just do away with dealing with tolls, traffic and driving in an unfamiliar area and have a shuttle drop us off and pick us up at the door even though it will cost a little more. We will probably take a taxi or hotel shuttle to the port.

We've flown to Orlando many, many times, and stayed in Cocoa Beach at the Comfort Inns and Suites. They have a shuttle to the pier. We also most times rented a car one way to Cocoa Beach from AVIS. Look for discounts on line or from your airline, AARP, AAA, etc. The rental will be very competitive with the shuttle for two. And you get your car almost immediately and can use it to shop, dine, whatever. The drive to Cocoa Beach from MCO is a piece of cake. Just have change for the tolls or sea if AVIS or your rental company has a pre-pay toll deal. We've waited for hours at the airport for the shuttle to fill. Never do it again. For the trip from the port back to the airport, the shuttle works much better. We usually take it.

Enjoy your cruise!

Rick and Deirdra

After the cruise did you have a shuttle scheduled for return to MCO? In the past at Miami and Fort Lauderdale, we didn't have anything scheduled for return to the airport. We are renting a car in February on arrival, but will need a shuttle for return to the airport after the cruise, as our flight is at 12:00 pm. Just wondering if we should reserve a shuttle.

Edited by janjan3839

After the cruise did you have a shuttle scheduled for return to MCO? In the past at Miami and Fort Lauderdale, we didn't have anything scheduled for return to the airport. We are renting a car in February on arrival, but will need a shuttle for return to the airport after the cruise, as our flight is at 12:00 pm. Just wondering if we should reserve a shuttle.

I would reserve a shuttle to ensure space and a timely trip.

We've used Cortrans, Cocoa Beach Shuttle, and Travelynx with good results.

For a private service, I'd go with Executive VIP.

Edited by clarea

We stay at the Comfort Inn and Suites at Cocoa Beach every year in the spring. This is not a luxury hotel, it does need some updating and TLC, but we find the rooms and public areas to be clean and the front desk staff helpful.

The free breakfast is decent, with hot and cold choices and ample seating.

If you have a car, there is parking on the street next to and behind the hotel which is patrolled regularly by security. We always book a pool side room, the ocean view rooms are not worth the extra money as the beach is across the street from the hotel. No need to drive, you can walk it in 5 minutes. There are numerous restaurant possibilities within walking distance, either on the beach or even the Cocoa Beach Pier which is about a mile down the road. Across the main highway out front of the hotel (I think A-1) is a grocery store and drug store. Of course Ron Jon is right next door to the hotel, we spend some time there every year. They have a Starbucks inside.