Curious about weather related changes and the law

vaka08

The hurricane cruise shifting had me wondering. Again this is just a question not based on any information I have received. But some of you are very knowledgable on maritime law.

I believe the new law stated you can no longer have cruises to nowhere. ( correct me if I am wrong) So what happens if a ship has to divert itinerary due to weather and doesn't make a foreign port? Do they have to get to one? Are there exemption clauses?

Just curious.

The hurricane cruise shifting had me wondering. Again this is just a question not based on any information I have received. But some of you are very knowledgable on maritime law.

I believe the new law stated you can no longer have cruises to nowhere. ( correct me if I am wrong) So what happens if a ship has to divert itinerary due to weather and doesn't make a foreign port? Do they have to get to one? Are there exemption clauses?

Just curious.

they will either make the necessary legal changes or they will cancel the cruise. I am not sure if they are legally bound to go to a foreign port

Edited by hftmrock

They are legally obligated to visit a foreign port, however I'm sure they could be granted a special exemption in the event of a hurricane that prevented a cruise from visiting a foreign port before returning to the US. This would likely be a worst case scenario, as they do make every effort to substitute other ports are complete changing from eastern to western, etc if a storm necessitates a change.