Prepaid Gratuity and NO Beverage Package purchased

mickeychicky

I am still new to cruising (only 1 cruise under my belt) so I am still asking lots of questions for future cruises on different cruise lines.

If I prepay my gratuity when booking and choose to NOT purchase a beverage package, when I buy a drink at the bar do I still tip?

I purchased one of the Beverage Packages on my first cruise (RCCL Freedom) and don't think I drank nearly as much as I paid for so I want to maybe just pay as I go on Norwegian but don't know about the whole tipping thing when I've prepaid my gratuity. I also don't like that on NCL you have to purchase a beverage package for EVERYONE in your cabin if one package is purchased. Especially since we don't drink Pepsi. I will just bring my own Coke products onboard with me and my Zephyrhills water since that is the only water I drink. Don't like re-filtered water; that's no different to me than turning on the faucet and drinking from there (yuk).

Thank you! more questions to come

Regular service charges ($13.50pppd for regular cabins) have nothing to do with bar service - service charges only cover staff that provide service for all passengers.

So yes, even when you prepay service charges, you are charged 18% for bar purchases because bar staff is not covered by the daily service charge - same applies to spa staff and nowadays speciality restaurant staff.

They add the 18% gratuity to the bill ... but also have a line there for you to add additional tip. There is no need to do so, but I did want to make you aware of that ... some people end up double tipping!

Drink prices on the Gem last week seemed to run from about $8 to $12 for most things with tip. I'm still trying to figure out how I could possibly drink enough to make a beverage package worthwhile!

You can bring your own soda and water on board. We just tape a luggage tag on it and they deliver it to the cabin. The little fridges in the rooms are not super cold, but they keep the drinks cool. The cabin Steward will fill your ice bucket each morning, and you can always get more ice (if you use ice during the day he'll refill it when he turns down the cabin in the late afternoon / evening).

You can ask the steward to remove the items from the mini-fridge so you can put your stuff in there. They do an inventory at the end of the cruise and bill you for what's missing ... if you remove items yourself and he doesn't notice they are in a drawer or whatever you could get charged for them and have to get your bill adjusted ... so it's easier just to let him know.

They add the 18% gratuity to the bill ... but also have a line there for you to add additional tip. There is no need to do so, but I did want to make you aware of that ... some people end up double tipping!

Drink prices on the Gem last week seemed to run from about $8 to $12 for most things with tip. I'm still trying to figure out how I could possibly drink enough to make a beverage package worthwhile!

It's not double tipping, it's just tipping extra for good service. Also to answer your question (I realize it wasn't really a question) at $12 per drink it is approximately 5 drinks per day to make the beverage package worthwhile. For drinkers, that's not hard at all. I would guess for some it would not be hard to drink 10-15 drinks per day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK, so basically, when I go to the bar and order a beer for say $6.00, the receipt will actually show $7.08 ($6.00 + $1.08 for the 18% tip). Which is how it should show up on the room charge bill.

Just trying to get prepared for next cruise and start my little "cruise extras" jar.

OK, so basically, when I go to the bar and order a beer for say $6.00, the receipt will actually show $7.08 ($6.00 + $1.08 for the 18% tip). Which is how it should show up on the room charge bill.

Just trying to get prepared for next cruise and start my little "cruise extras" jar.

you are correct!

Actually no - it uses (for the British anyway) the bizarre US system (where they don't include tax).. Tax adds on first.. So 6.00 plus tax plus tip all calculated on the nett

Actually no - it uses (for the British anyway) the bizarre US system (where they don't include tax).. Tax adds on first.. So 6.00 plus tax plus tip all calculated on the nett

Only when the ship in in US waters. Once you are outside of that there is no US tax added.

It's not double tipping, it's just tipping extra for good service. Also to answer your question (I realize it wasn't really a question) at $12 per drink it is approximately 5 drinks per day to make the beverage package worthwhile. For drinkers, that's not hard at all. I would guess for some it would not be hard to drink 10-15 drinks per day.

It is "double tipping" if you don't realize the tip has already been added, and you think you are adding the only tip. I'm not using the term "double tipping" in any kind of disparaging way (like the term "double dipping" is used so often here), but just as a way of explaining that you can inadvertently tip 36% instead of 18% if you don't pay attention.

Only when the ship in in US waters. Once you are outside of that there is no US tax added.

Thats not really relevent, they treat the VAT the same.. so the tax is always added after. Makes sense really or they would need several menus

Edited by ighten