24 hours in Barcelona - where to stay?

ScarlettMLB

We're on a transatlantic that ends in Barcelona April 29. We'd like to spend more time there, but due to work schedules and frequent flyer miles (we booked our flights using miles), we only get 1 night in Barcelona.

The ship arrives early Friday morning and we fly out early Saturday morning. We'd like to maximize our time in Barcelona, but also make it easy to fly out on Saturday.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a hotel that's both convenient to sites we may want to see in Barcelona, but is also easy to make it to the airport for an early (7 am) flight? Bonus points if they also have a shuttle or are easy to get to from the port. (We're looking at day tours that pick us up at the port and drop us at our hotel, but I'm not sure yet if that's the way we're going to want to go.)

We want a clean hotel, but given that we'll be spending hardly any time there, we prefer one that's economical over lots of frills.

It's about half an hour from the center of Barcelona to the airport, so you'll need to decide just how "easy" you want things to be on Saturday morning. (How early do you need to check in for your flight?)

In terms of picking a hotel, I think you may want to first consider that you have several options for how you want to handle your time: (1) stay in the center of the city, drop your bags at your hotel after you disembark, then go off on your own, and get a very early taxi to the airport the next morning; (2) stay at an airport hotel, in which case you are going to have to figure out what to do with your bags when you get off the ship; (3) do one or two and use a private tour operator to pick you up at the ship, keep your bags in the vehicle when touring, and then drop you at your hotel at the end of the day.

If you want to go the tour operator route, I highly recommend Barcelona Day Tours. We used them last fall on a port call, and they were terrific. There's a reason why they have such a great reputation on here.

Have a wonderful time!

I'll echo the suggestion to stay near Placa Catalunya. You can take the Aerobus from the airport for just 5.90€ one way, pp to that location. It's so easy, and then, drop your bags at your hotel for safekeeping and walk from this area to many sights. In the morning, ask your hotel to call a cab if you have an early departing flight.

I like Hotel Avenida Palace for its historic feel and great location just off Placa Catalunya, although it's not necessarily a "budget conscious" choice. It's just one block from the best tapas, Cuidad Condal, a plus. Go early for a table. It's always busy.

While I am also a fan of the Eixample district just to the north side of Plaza Catalunya, I sometimes also stay over by the Plaza Espana for a quick trip to the airport.

While a taxi will get you to Terminal 1 of the airport at an early hour in as little as 20 minutes, you do have the 25 to 30 minute option with the Aerobus starting at 5 AM. You do pay a few euros more for a taxi prior to 8 AM, but it should be around 34 euro, while the bus is 5.90 per person.

The reason I sometimes stay at Plaza Espana is that is the final stop before busses or the taxi has a direct route to the airport and it saves me 15 minutes at that early hour.

The Catalonia Barcelona Plaza hotel has the taxi line and A1 bus stop right outside it's door. There are about 30 good hotels right around there as this is the convention area of the city.

While I am also a fan of the Eixample district just to the north side of Plaza Catalunya, I sometimes also stay over by the Plaza Espana for a quick trip to the airport.

While a taxi will get you to Terminal 1 of the airport at an early hour in as little as 20 minutes, you do have the 25 to 30 minute option with the Aerobus starting at 5 AM. You do pay a few euros more for a taxi prior to 8 AM, but it should be around 34 euro, while the bus is 5.90 per person.

The reason I sometimes stay at Plaza Espana is that is the final stop before busses or the taxi has a direct route to the airport and it saves me 15 minutes at that early hour.

The Catalonia Barcelona Plaza hotel has the taxi line and A1 bus stop right outside it's door. There are about 30 good hotels right around there as this is the convention area of the city.

Unless it has changed very recently, I thought the first aerobus to the airport wasn't until 5.30am. This would be too late for the OP's 7am flight.

Unless it has changed very recently, I thought the first aerobus to the airport wasn't until 5.30am. This would be too late for the OP's 7am flight.

The A2 to Terminal 2 now starts at 5:35 AM and the A1 to Terminal 1 has started running at 5:00 AM now.

The A1 has started running much more frequently than the A2 now as well.

http://www.aerobusbcn.com/en/timetable

Taxi is always the preferred transfer method to El Prat Airport, but many take the early busses for early flights without incident.

The airport does now recommend arrival at 2 hours prior Schengen flights and 3 hours prior for non-Schengen flights, but many choose to do the just over the absolute minimum of 1 hour for non-Schengen and 40 minutes for Schengen. The minimum check-in time varies by airline.

http://www.aena.es/csee/Satellite/Aeropuerto-Barcelona/en/Page/1045569607351//Departures.html#Check-in desks

Thanks everyone for the tips!

Our flight is at 7:10 am, but we're flying to London. (Frequent flyer didn't have any flights flying home Sunday, but we can fly to London Saturday and do a short 24 hour stop-over there and then home Sunday.) So it will be within Europe. I'm not sure, though if we'd want to risk a 5:30 bus.

This gives us some great areas and names to start our research. Much appreciated!

Thanks everyone for the tips!

Our flight is at 7:10 am, but we're flying to London. (Frequent flyer didn't have any flights flying home Sunday, but we can fly to London Saturday and do a short 24 hour stop-over there and then home Sunday.) So it will be within Europe. I'm not sure, though if we'd want to risk a 5:30 bus.

This gives us some great areas and names to start our research. Much appreciated!

The UK has not signed on to the Schengen agreement and therefore passengers need to go through additional passport control and security and you need to allow more time for the non-Schengen flight.

No, if you are non-Schengen or at Terminal 2 the airport bus would not work for a 7:10 flight.