HAL Africa Explorer cruise

Smiling Gypsy

Hi, can anyone tell me if HAL are running the full 85 night Africa Explorer cruise this year or in 2016? I thought the ms Rotterdam left Rotterdam on September 26, 2015 for the full 85 night cruise however I have seen a report that says the ms Rotterdam will not proceed past Cape Town.

hmm - per the HAL website, the Rotterdam is doing Med cruises thru Oct. in 2015. In 2016, the Rotterdam is doing the New England cruises into Oct, then in 22 October is doing the Atlantic Explorer from Boston then RT FLL, which I am watching. Could it possibly be a different ship?

I wish it was doing it this year as I'd be on a segment of it! The Rotterdam did the African Explorer itinerary in 2014 and isn't scheduled to do so this year. I desperately wanted to take it last year but it interfered with my Azamara cruise so I was hoping it would be offered again this year but no such luck.

In regards to the sailing schedule I think HAL must have failed to update that particular time period.

Edited by elusive_23

The Africa cruise was cancelled for 2015. Replaced by a very long Europe cruise. Will be in Carib 2016/2017 and according to Sydney cruise ports will be in Australia in 2017.

I thought HAL dropped Africa due to lack of sales/profitability and the volatile nature of the region in general?

If my memory is right, there are other lines that offer a similar experience, but honestly while this is the 21st century much of Africa is mired in a mentality from the 3rd century.

HAL did cancel the schedule 85-day Africa Cruise and substituted a Mediterrean Cruise. We were on the Rotterdam Africa Cruise in 2014 and it was fantastic. Probably the best cruise we have taken so far. Unfortunately, many people cancelled the Cape Town to Rotterdam portion of the cruise due to the cancellation of Senegal, Gambia and Ghana. There were only 900 passengers on the cruise. And to get that 900 passengers they heavily discounted the Canary Islands to Rotterdam & Southamption portion of the cruise to add more passengers. I believe they also discounted the Capetown to Rotterdam part of the cruise also.

Too bad as it was a great cruise. The speakers, the entertainment and the ports of call were all fabulous. HAL treated the cruise almost like a Grand Voyage.

I thought HAL dropped Africa due to lack of sales/profitability and the volatile nature of the region in general?

If my memory is right, there are other lines that offer a similar experience, but honestly while this is the 21st century much of Africa is mired in a mentality from the 3rd century.

That is simply untrue, But to appreciate Africa you need TIME as most interesting places are not coastal nor near the ports.

Lots of African countries are emerging from the swamp of corruption, poverty and violence, but there is still a long way to go.

Please visit Africa one time Morocco, Ethiopia, Kenya ( with caution), Tanzania, Rwanda, Uganda, Botswana, Zambia, Mozambique, Namibia, South Africa , Senegal and the Gambia are absolutely fabulous and safe places to visit. Trust me, I go there for a living.

Guest Kay Dalby

Thanks elusive_23, jig, Vieczy, Storylady & Despegue for your replies. It is disappointing that it has been replaced by a Mediterranean cruise when there are already so many of those. We were looking for a different itinerary and a long cruise and the Africa Explorer fitted the bill nicely.

I will look at other cruise lines to see what they have to offer.

Thank you to all who have taken the time to reply. I do appreciate it.

Happy cruising to all.