Emerald Princess Rome to Barcelona September 26 -October 3 2015 in photos and video

Bimmer09

I'm still walking back up La Rambla. I can't imagine it really comes alive until lunch time when the cafes will be in full swing.

22898538865_99877de5c2_b.jpg

The amazing Bouqueria market, which closes on Sunday. Next time, most definately.

22480223858_693ff8dc72_b.jpg

22275822664_978b568684_b.jpg

22506411419_186efe1bce_b.jpg

I decided to leave the, by now familiar, Rambla and head over towards Passeig de Gracia.

22277405183_9e4f0abf74_b.jpg

Norris,

I have been reading this thread for several weeks and have enjoyed every post. Thank you so much for taking the time to do a spectacular review. I appreciate the clarity of the photos and please thank Carol for her note taking as well. I hope that my husband and I will be on a similar cruise next year.

I particularly enjoyed your posts in Florence, as they brought back many memories from my visit there when I was a student. That was a very long time ago and the city has gotten much more crowded. I appreciate your eye as well as your sense of humor and just wanted to let you know.

Thanks again for your energies expended on this missive.

Diane

As far as I know the Hop On Hop Off bus doesn't come down this street....

22710556180_1bfbcbf1cd_b.jpg[/url]

I like the artwork on this clothing store shutter

22480243428_fef6be1e10_b.jpg

I came to an open square where I discovered this

22506428429_224bfbcff7_b.jpg

22898572215_6112da73dd_b.jpg

22277426053_ef7d92d1ff_b.jpg

Gotta keep moving as I intend to be back at the hotel by 9 a.m

22480261598_73a51b9be7_b.jpg

Norris,

I have been reading this thread for several weeks and have enjoyed every post. Thank you so much for taking the time to do a spectacular review. I appreciate the clarity of the photos and please thank Carol for her note taking as well. I hope that my husband and I will be on a similar cruise next year.

I particularly enjoyed your posts in Florence, as they brought back many memories from my visit there when I was a student. That was a very long time ago and the city has gotten much more crowded. I appreciate your eye as well as your sense of humor and just wanted to let you know.

Thanks again for your energies expended on this missive.

Diane

Diane, thanks for coming forward and for following along this far.

It's nice for me to know who is reading and enjoying. It has taken 5 weeks so far but this is the last week and then we can all get back to our lives (LOL)

The Florence crowds-yikes and that was late September!

Carol's notes helped me keep the facts straight and it's a good habit she has adopted. I'll pass on your thanks.

The last two Gaudi buildings are coming up today-well La Pedrera (Casa Mila) is anyway.

Thanks again!

Norris

I love the proliferation of balconies on the apartments in Barcelona!

It was about here that I decided I needed a little help to save time. I didn't have a map with me and was going on my memory of looking at Google maps back home. I had a rough idea of the lay of the land but was being offered streets going in several directions. I saw two Policemen standing on the sidewalk and approached them. Each was holding a stubby machine gun hanging from their shoulder-an odd thing to see. Handguns in holsters is my norm.

I don't speak Spanish (yet!) but I do know 3 important words "Habla usted Ingles?" and luckily one of them did and was happy to point me to Passeig de Gracia which was close. While he was talking to me the other officer was staring at me trying to determine what size handcuffs I would take. I take a medium.

I came onto Passeig de Gracia and saw a building I had seen yesterday. It's a hotel with "eyes" poking out of the facade. Remember this place?

22809851666_e9f587a10b_b.jpg

Well it has eyes in the back of it's head too...

Just another stylish building

Novel thermometer

Hi Norris...

It truly is a small world. My DW and I are in one of the photos you took on the rooftop of Albergo del Senato. What a fantastic place to enjoy some wine and olives...and, of course, the beautiful view.

We spent five days there before the Emerald TA in room 204...the only room with a balcony. Didn't request that room and probably wouldn't have gotten it if we had.

Lew

Edited by -Lew-

Hi Norris...

It truly is a small world. My DW and I are in one of the photos you took on the rooftop of Albergo del Senato. What a fantastic place to enjoy some wine and olives...and, of course, the beautiful view.

We spent five days there before the Emerald TA in room 204...the only room with a balcony. Didn't request that room and probably wouldn't have gotten it if we had.

Lew

Lew-nice to see you here!

I'll have to go back and look at my Albergo rooftop pics to see if I can guess who you are (all hints welcome).

I know the room you mean, above the front door.

The rooftop bar is such a great little oasis and just one of the many reasons we love the Albergo del Senato.

P.S I see you're sailing on the Silhouette Jan 2017- watch out for my review of her late Jan 2016.

Norris

Edited by Bimmer09
add text

wow I wonder what that is?

I just went to Lightroom and magnified the street sign then visited Google maps- it's Barcelona Cathedral.

Aren't computers wonderful?

Norris

Ok, still walking back to the Hotel...

22710603170_43679501e0_b.jpg[/url]

8.45 a.m and the line has started at Casa Batilo. I enjoy seeing this building everytime I step out the front door of the hotel or onto our balcony.

22909753921_8242a30dc5_b.jpg

Almost 9 a.m and the streets are still not busy, but it is a Sunday and many stores will be closed.

22710615610_6a811734e0_b.jpg

22872650246_08d0bede8e_b.jpg

I'm back at the hotel. I started my walk at Casa Batilo 2 hours ago and didn't walk at my usual "man being followed" walking speed. I stopped every now and then to enjoy a bench and a smoke and of course 75 times to take a photo.

Back in the room Carol told me of her woes with the Internet trying to buy tickets for the 2 Gaudi houses. The Internet was back up but the wi-fi in our room painfully slow (like on the Emerald). She went to try her luck in the Business Center downstairs in the basement level while I downloaded my pics from the camera.

** A TIP....As there is always a possibility of a camera being snatched in an off-guard moment I downloaded my pics at the end of each day so they wouldn't be lost if the camera went AWOL.

After a while we just had to go and get some breakfast and even though the hotel had a buffet in a beautiful room (for 30 E) we wanted to eat outdoors and I had passed a little sidewalk Cafe on the next block, 10 yards from the hotel.

When you want to stop at a sidewalk cafe just find a seat and sit down-no need to go inside and see a hostess. Be aware that there will be ashtrays on every table. If smoking bothers you go inside to eat and drink.

Caffe Francesco was the name and it was doing a brisk business. The sky is overcast again but it's maybe 75 degrees F.

The coffee was good, albeit served in a small glass with no handle (form over function). A good hand-warmer though in colder climes. It took about 5 minutes to be served (by making eye contact and raising a finger) as there was only one waitress and she has to go into the cafe to place and retrieve orders.

This double espresso hit the spot!

22978369641_2855af9bf7_b.jpg

After the first cup of life-giving coffee there was the usual debate over whether to have another. Fists pounded the table, napkins were thrown into the air etc before a consensus was reached. We ordered more coffee and as we had seen plates of fragrant pastries and paninis passing by we asked for a menu. We just wanted something light and savory and ordered a "Bikini sandwich" which is an odd name for a toasted ham and cheese croissant.

** TIP...don't make the mistake of ordering one of these, as we did. A minimum of two per person is recommended. Another TIP- photograph it before you take a ravenous bite out of it.

So simple, so yummy

22548926078_e4cdfc8e30_b.jpg

Don't worry about the crumbs that fall from a warm flaky croissant- the cafe employs several of these "singing vacuums".

22344494664_2073c8a8f4_b.jpg[/url]

We will spend an hour here, relaxing and soaking up the lazy Sunday vibe.

22953816462_4da427577e_b.jpg

By now the cafe is a-jumpin' and a second waitress is helping.

22548868657_32a0856dc7_b.jpg

The waitresses carry purses of change and we paid with Euros. I think we paid 22E for two doubles and the sandwich. We left a tip of 2 Euro for the hard-working blond waitress.

LONG STORY SHORT DEPT.

Back in the Hotel Business center and after a total of 2 hours of trail, Carol was able to print out tickets for Casa Mila (La Pedrera) and Casa Batilio. These are not timed tickets-just go when you want and skip the lines. Hooray!!

Our next stop will be Casa Mila. Here's a short long story about that....

This morning I spent 90 minutes prepping 100 photos of Casa Mila in Lightroom.

I went to upload to Flickr and got an error message, not understood by Earth People so I called Apple and was on with them for 30 minutes. Finally determined the fault was at Flickr's end. (this is getting long already....) On Flickr's help page found that within the past 2 hours 20 people experienced the same issue...no solution offered yet by Flickr. Carol came up with a solution while eating a muffin (multi tasking) and here's the short version...found a way around the problem by screwing the flange into the gimble or something and shaking the computer. Problem solved so I went back on the Flickr help board and spread the news. I thought I was not going to be able to show you Casa Mila. That would have sucked as it's even better than Batilo!!

Yes if you only have time to do one (allow two hours at least) then Mila is the best bet. You'll eventually know why if you continue reading...

AHA! I caught up! Your posts are whetting my appetite for my upcoming cruise in June. Am booked on the 6/11/16 cruise from Athens ending in Barcelona. After seeing your pictures I wish I could stay longer in Barcelona - sadly have to fly out the same day as work will be needing me the 27th bright and chipper (???) and ready for work

Wanted to thank you so much for sharing your pictures, hint, comments and wonderful wit :)

Grolsch is always my beer of choice on cruises - Dad got me hooked on our first cruise together and now it's a tradition :)

AHA! I caught up! Your posts are whetting my appetite for my upcoming cruise in June. Am booked on the 6/11/16 cruise from Athens ending in Barcelona. After seeing your pictures I wish I could stay longer in Barcelona - sadly have to fly out the same day as work will be needing me the 27th bright and chipper (???) and ready for work

Wanted to thank you so much for sharing your pictures, hint, comments and wonderful wit :)

Grolsch is always my beer of choice on cruises - Dad got me hooked on our first cruise together and now it's a tradition :)

Corinda, it's always a pleasure to find a new responder, so welcome!

If only there was a way for you to convince your employer that you need at least two days in Barcelona (preferably 7 days but that might be pushing it...)

Thanks for the kind comments and for following this epic!

Norris

I've seen you post several times about the Silhouette. We've sailed on the Silhouette and the Emerald Princess looks far more beautiful to me. What is it about the Silhouette that you like so well?

I'm hoping the Star Princess is as lovely as the Emerald but I'm not sure about the class of ships when it comes to Princess.

I have the Hotel Granvia booked in Barcelona for May and I'm seriously thinking of booking the Albergo del Senato for August when we will do a few days pre cruise. Is the breakfast 30 Euro per person or is that per couple?

I sense a horrible withdrawal coming. What are we all to do when you finish your live from account? I shudder at the thought. We have all become Norris groupies.

And, we too fell in love with Barcelona during our two day visit before our Island Princess cruise. It truly is a livable city and very easy for visitors. One day we walked 13 miles. And, the market you missed was amazing. Spain has the most incredible meats and the hams and sausages that you can get at the market to snack on are to die for. We also went to a flamenco dinner show club which had the best food and show we have seen anywhere overseas.

So Norris, we don't want your account to end. When is your next cruise?

Joan

I've seen you post several times about the Silhouette. We've sailed on the Silhouette and the Emerald Princess looks far more beautiful to me. What is it about the Silhouette that you like so well?

I'm hoping the Star Princess is as lovely as the Emerald but I'm not sure about the class of ships when it comes to Princess.

I have the Hotel Granvia booked in Barcelona for May and I'm seriously thinking of booking the Albergo del Senato for August when we will do a few days pre cruise. Is the breakfast 30 Euro per person or is that per couple?

We would not recommend the Granvia where we stayed for two nights pre cruise. They had the hardest beds to the degree that they were painful to sleep on. My husband likes a hard mattress but as he said he felt like he was sleeping on the floor. Also the beds were two small single beds. Finally, no one to help you with your luggage and staff at reception were indifferent at best. This was the only downside to our BTcelona visit.

Hi, the 30 E was per person and that was in the Hotel Majestic in Barcelona.

Albergo del Senato in Rome has breakfast buffet included.

Re the Silhouette (agreed the Emerald interiors, and the Star, are beautiful)

Every inch of it is different from a Princess Ship so it will be a new experience.

It only became a choice for our next cruise because when I searched for a Princess cruise touching some new Caribbean ports for Carol I came up with the Royal P, a ship I am not a fan of. Carol found an itinerary with two new ports (San Juan, Puerto Rico and Basseterre, St Kitts and three sea days. An aft suite on the Sil cost less than the Royal and for booking it we got the 1,2,3 Go perks=Free Classic drinks package, daily Gratuities paid and $300 OBC.

From the outside it is appealing to me. I love the lines of the X S Class ships.

Long and sleek 1033 ft, 121 ft wide, 122,000 gross tonnes, 2850 pax/1500 crew

She has an observation lounge (Sky Lounge) over the bridge so we can see where we're going (not found on Princess Grand or Royal class)

She has an enclosed swimming pool for adults (Solarium) and two main pools.

She has two funnels with a canvas shade covering part of the lawn

Outdoor dining at the Lawn Club Grill

Outdoor dining above the stern

No jungle gyms/rock climbing/waterparks spoiling the top decks, which are things that ruled out NCL, Carnival and many Royal ships from even considering.

Like the Princess ships she looks like a cruise ship and not a theme park/funfair.

Her Promenade deck isn't as good as the Grand Class but it beats the Royal Class hands down.

We eat at specialty restaurants on Princess but there are only 2 on the Grand Class. There are new dining options for us on Celebrity apart from the Lawn Club Grill.

Tuscan Grill- italian restaurant with tables looking over the wake-we are so there !

Murano- restaurant with table service-Dover sole, lobster cooked tableside.

QSine- food served in a fun presentation. Probably won't eat there but never say never. It would be a novel experience though.

Blu- popular restaurant for those in Aqua class and Suites. Small, intimate.

Luminae-nothing like this on Princess-suites only restaurant for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Small, intimate.

2 Storey MDR-looks beautiful but we may never eat there because of the other choices.

A creperie-we love crepes

It has a burger and fries place (Mast grill) like the Trident Grill on Princess

The Buffet looks on a par with the Royal Class and light years better than the Grand Class

I know there may be a chance of outdoor concerts on the lawn under the stars-if it doesn't happen it's no big deal.

I believe the Captain has a Q and A show and that the Officers play volleyball in the pool on one day-I like the idea of Officers being visible at least once, having fun and entertaining us.

The theater shows look interesting with some acrobatics mixed with song and dance

I have read every photo review on the ship from people like FRMPEI, Gambee and Scubacruiser2 and like the decor that will be "new" to us. It's radically different from the Grand Class we are so used to.

I will write a long review after we have sailed the Silhouette. It will either thrill or disappoint us. My hunch is it will be the former. We are not looking to replace Princess, just add an option.

Hope this helps,

Norris

Edited by Bimmer09

Still here Norris! :)

We have the picture of the building with the eyes too. Stayed close to the catedral, so we journeyed down this street often!

Greetings and I'm glad to see you are still here!

We'll be in Manhattan next Weekend so watch out for me in Central Park.

Going to visit some of our favorite restaurants and a show at the Met Opera.

Norris

I sense a horrible withdrawal coming. What are we all to do when you finish your live from account? I shudder at the thought. We have all become Norris groupies.

And, we too fell in love with Barcelona during our two day visit before our Island Princess cruise. It truly is a livable city and very easy for visitors. One day we walked 13 miles. And, the market you missed was amazing. Spain has the most incredible meats and the hams and sausages that you can get at the market to snack on are to die for. We also went to a flamenco dinner show club which had the best food and show we have seen anywhere overseas.

So Norris, we don't want your account to end. When is your next cruise?

Joan

We found out early Joan, that Barcelona was a gem of a city and that our two days just weren't enough. It seems like a very relaxed and upbeat city with nothing that soured the experience. We will return that's a certainty.

The market I really wanted to visit but not in a hurry as they were closing on Saturday. Deladane's review and Rick Steves got us interested.

Next cruise comes soon-64 days according to my Shipmate app.

Celebrity Silhouette January 17th from Ft.Lauderdale. The good folks at Port Everglades webcam will give us a close up on our aft corner suite balcony as we do our sail away wave. Can't wait! Review will appear January 26th or so on the X Board.

Thanks for following along and contributing!

Norris

Thanks for your great Silhouette explanation, Norris. We love eating in Blu on X.

We found the MDR to be very noisy and crowded on the Silhouette, so booked Aqua class after that sailing. It was a very port intensive cruise with only one sea day. Hence, we did not have the chance to fully enjoy all the amenities the ship has to offer.

We would not recommend the Granvia where we stayed for two nights pre cruise. They had the hardest beds to the degree that they were painful to sleep on. My husband likes a hard mattress but as he said he felt like he was sleeping on the floor. Also the beds were two small single beds. Finally, no one to help you with your luggage and staff at reception were indifferent at best. This was the only downside to our BTcelona visit.

I'm not sure when you stayed, but the reviews are very good with mention of the beds being very comfortable. The hotel has recently been renovated so possibly there was a change of mattresses.

I am familiar with those hard mattresses you refer to, having stayed at a Barcelo and Riu resort. They were definitely hard.

I do appreciate your input.

Sorry for the hijack, Norris. Carry on. ;)

Edited by midwestchick

Two blocks from our hotel sits Casa Mila (built 1905 to 1910) an apartment building like no other on Earth.

22170673866_eb1341f9c3_b.jpg[/url]

Known locally as La Pedrera (the Quarry) by folks who thought it looked ridiculous.

Actually, looking at that photo I tend to agree with them.

Wait a minute (grabbing wrench) let me see if I can fix that....

THE IMPROVED CASA MILA!

22591450789_9874490029_b.jpg

Mila, like Batilo, was the name of the man who commissioned it.

Why it's special and worth your time (allow 2 hours); it has a rooftop like no other and it helps spread the crowds out up there. You'll have to take your photos promptly before someone gets in your shot. Long shots will have people in them. If you start at the roof you can then work your way down and in doing so you'll pass through some wonderful rooms with period furniture. Anyway, you'll get the gist from these photos.

As usual there are audio guide headsets available for a fee. The Mila can absorb a lot of people at a time so you won't see lines outside like Batilo. The elevators are operated by staff so there will be a line there unless you are willing to use the stairs.

Notable on the roof will be many stair shafts, air ducts and chimneys

There are also two vast openings in the roof to let light down into the courtyards below

22346057553_1e5eb9301e_b.jpg

My plan up here is to get as many photos as I can without bumping into people or falling-the roof undulates and has steps here and there, so look where you are walking first and foremost.

22978365361_8256fddd7c_b.jpg

22953813062_0e567b59d7_b.jpg

Thank you very much for this wonderful photo/video review Norris. I really enjoyed it. I'm signing off for now......heading to Florida to cruise on the Emerald Princess tomorrow. Adios/Arrivederci.

Joanne

Joanne, have a great cruise on the Emerald!

This should be finished by the time you return and you can catch up then.

Bon Voyage!

Norris