Emerald Princess Rome to Barcelona September 26 -October 3 2015 in photos and video

Bimmer09

OK, so we're finally asleep and this is a comfy bed. Thick curtains are drawn to keep out any noise from the street.

While we're snoozing here is a video clip from dinner....our waiter mugs for the camera at one point.

[YOUTUBE]YUuTiIfXDGE[/YOUTUBE]

The narration gets a little lost at times due to the volume of chatter.

Norris

Today I enjoyed my journey through Florence with you. It looks like a beautiful city. I especially enjoyed seeing the art, the architecture, and the harbor. I do not think I would have enjoyed the crowds in the galleries you visited at all, and my bad knees would not enjoy all the walking over uneven surfaces. The aforementioned knees hurt just thinking about all the walking you and Carol have done over the past several ports. Since at this point I am unlikely to get there myself, I am really glad I am getting to see these places through your wonderful photos!

Sunday morning October 4th, our last full day in Barcelona and I woke naturally at 5.30 a.m

By 6.30 I was down in the hotel lobby

There I found a table set up with a basket of mini-croissants, freshly baked and just put out. Next to them was a Nespresso machine and pods of espresso.

We had a machine in our room but i didn't want to wake Carol.

Armed with a double espresso in a paper cup I went out onto the dark sidewalk and sat on my "Gaudi bench". It was dark.

It was obviously a good time for me to take a long walk and get some snaps.

Casa Batilo was a good place to start

22275600424_ffb0422af2_b.jpg

My plan was to walk down Passeig de Gracia, visit Playa de Cataluna, keep going down la Rambla on the other side of the square and end up at the port. Then return.

No need for a map as I had brought a homing pigeon. (never leave home without one) His name is Pidgie.

22898479815_c6df7a9a13_b.jpg

Subway station

Trash awaiting pickup (Palermo take note)

22506201269_c27c3b40e8_b.jpg

I remembered this big intersection from yesterday's drive. The circular fountain was turned off overnight.

22909497311_d6611273a1_b.jpg[/url]

22480033698_d6e5c04aaa_b.jpg

22884919052_a150c15c15_b.jpg

22277221113_3d99cd6c2c_b.jpg

After about 5 blocks I had come to Playa de Catalunya

People going to work

22884935102_00c9de7ec4_b.jpg

Too early for the bus tour

22872417446_5ce616b87a_b.jpg

Pigeons everywhere. Pidgie said he was going to "chill with my homies" and merged into the crowd. I would have to find my own way back to the hotel.

22480085108_38386e7ab3_b.jpg[/url]

La Rambla continues on the south side of the square so let's go down there

22480043827_778e32b49a_b.jpg

Some shops are already open for business

22909553651_901b728887_b.jpg

I will see a fleet of street-sweeping vehicles during my walk as they clear up after a Saturday night. I don't know how long it stays busy here at night as I was in bed by 10.30 but I met a few young people who hadn't been to bed yet.

22884971632_93ca18dd1a_b.jpg

22480056267_d83be2120c_b.jpg

I don't know who this statue is of. There was a drunk guy shouting to himself nearby so I gave him a wide berth. He hadn't been to bed yet, apparently or had a sangria breakfast.

There will be more Rambla photos on my way back from the harbor.

Barcelona in the dark-wasn't it creepy?

Not really as there were so few people around and no one spoke to me or approached me. The few people I met before the bus stops at Catalunya were on their way to work. La Rambla was mainly cleaning crews with brooms and trash bags and people opening their tourist kiosks. There were no shadowy figures in doorways and no homeless people. I do these walks wherever I am but am more on guard in places like San Francisco where there are a lot of people living on the streets. Barcelona, like Rome and Venice didn't feel unsafe.

I don't listen to music while I walk nor look at a cell phone. I can hear and see everything and am aware of all that is around me. So far, so good.

Down at the harbor with all those guys standing around at dawn was the only time I looked for a way to safety if approached. I kept an eye on them while I was taking photos near them. I have great peripheral vision, similar to a fly.

A car ferry

22884997802_794af0066b_b.jpg[/url]

That's a W hotel in the distance

22480129468_77f82a94fc_b.jpg

22480086687_696d9523a6_b.jpg

22480132388_ffa2e96ee7_b.jpg

I head towards the Cruise Port area. If I'd gone in the opposite direction I would have ended up at the beach. No time for that. Next time. Barcelona got a makeover prior to the 1992 Olympic Games. There was no beach then so 2 miles of sand was brought in from Egypt and the Cruise Port was built. Both of them great for the city.

Modern sculpture at the port entrance with Montjuic in background

22909599211_67e7fb363a_b.jpg

This is one of the towers for the Teleferic which is a cable gondola system running from the port area up to the top of Montjuic. Something we wanted to do but never found the time to fit it in. It will be done next visit!

This will help you choose the right parking garage-just doesn't have the number of spaces available like the ones we are used to in Germany for the past 10 years.

22275767244_08397b5187_b.jpg[/url]

I think this is an art exhibit and not someone's washing line (I hope!)

22506357089_c6e149332a_b.jpg

A theater on la Rambla

22275775524_352c15fbbe_b.jpg

Our first choice hotel-booked up so we had to go to the Majestic

22480133457_931c54a587_b.jpg

No, your eyes weren't decieving you. This "gentleman" IS going to the bathroom on La Rambla

22480137857_57071120ee_b.jpg

I hope you won't mind answering a couple of questions Norris. Is there a HOHO bus in Barcelona and would you know if it is included in the T-10 multi trip ticket? Would you be able to do the Cathedral, the park, La Pedrera and Casa Batilo in 1 day or would it be too much Gaudi overload? I am hooked on him!!! I looked at pictures online of Casa Batilo. I wasn't sure if you had made it there or not. It is so amazing and I just find his work fascinating. It looks like it belongs in something like Lord of the Rings...Hobbit houses lol. I have to see all of it!!! Looking forward to some more pics Norris.

Corinne

Ha! I figured by now there would be a firestorm of posts from people telling you Florence is better than Rome. Guess I'll be the first. The first time I was there, we had an overnight stop in Livorno. We rented a car, stopped in Lucca and Pisa, and then stayed in Florence instead of going back to the ship. I think staying overnight helped us fall in love with Florence. Rome is great, but I love how walkable Florence is and I find it cleaner and more manageable than Rome. It has its share of history and art, too.

We have returned for a pre- and post-cruise stay including trips into the Tuscan countryside to visit Siena, San Gimignano, Cinque Terre, Bologne, etc. The surrounding areas are another strong draw for Florence. You owe it to yourself to spend more time there!

But I digress. Please continue... ;)

Oh, how I agree with this. The Tuscan countryside is amazing and all of the walled villages are wonderful to visit, albeit, we do only private tours.

We've been to Rome but also need to revisit. Florence we found to be wonderful.

I am so enjoying this marvelous review. The photos and time it took to compile it is something I probably wouldn't do but so happy people like you take the time to do it. I was being nosey

on the Princess forums since we'll be on the Star in October and have been looking for more information on that ship. It is now 6 hours later and I'm still fascinated with your review.

Okay...back to page 19. I cannot wait to see Barcelona since we are going there in May.

Great photos Norris. We had 5 days post cruise in Barcelona, and still didn't see everything. Sagrada Familia stays with you always, and your photos were fantastic. Unbelievable structure, and still not finished.

Continue Norris.......

Pat

Norris,

We are enjoying your photos especially Barcelona.

Was breakfast included in the room rate for the Hotel.

We are planning to be in Barcelona next year post cruise.

Also, I would like to know how far were you from the Hop on Hop off

bus.

Thanks

Lance :)

I hope you won't mind answering a couple of questions Norris. Is there a HOHO bus in Barcelona and would you know if it is included in the T-10 multi trip ticket? Would you be able to do the Cathedral, the park, La Pedrera and Casa Batilo in 1 day or would it be too much Gaudi overload? I am hooked on him!!! I looked at pictures online of Casa Batilo. I wasn't sure if you had made it there or not. It is so amazing and I just find his work fascinating. It looks like it belongs in something like Lord of the Rings...Hobbit houses lol. I have to see all of it!!! Looking forward to some more pics Norris.

Corinne

Corinne, one of my photos from the hotel shows two red HoHo buses

http://www.hop-on-hop-off-bus.com/barcelona-bus-tours

I think you could do all 4 Gaudis in one day but that would be complete overload (for me) and you'd end up hating Gaudi or the human race or both.

We split them over two days and the two you've seen so far took 4 hours-and we didn't see everything!.

The crowds are the main issue particularly if you want good photos to remember.

After I do this walk we'll have breakfast then visit la Pedrera. Batilo comes later in the day.

Norris

Oh, how I agree with this. The Tuscan countryside is amazing and all of the walled villages are wonderful to visit, albeit, we do only private tours.

We've been to Rome but also need to revisit. Florence we found to be wonderful.

I am so enjoying this marvelous review. The photos and time it took to compile it is something I probably wouldn't do but so happy people like you take the time to do it. I was being nosey

on the Princess forums since we'll be on the Star in October and have been looking for more information on that ship. It is now 6 hours later and I'm still fascinated with your review.

Okay...back to page 19. I cannot wait to see Barcelona since we are going there in May.

A new responder! Welcome midwestchick.

I remember saying to a gentleman nearby as we rode the bus through Tuscany- you know the real Tuscany starts over those hills, away from the highway....

I now we haven't seen the good stuff, the rolling hills, the vineyards and the farmhouses so we have to go back and that's something to look forward to.

I mentioned some stats in a response some pages back and it was something like 33 hours just to improve the photos then 14 commands to get one photo onto the page= 84 per post. It's a lot of repetition. Yesterday marked 5 weeks of writing every day. So it's a big time commitment for sure but at the end I'll have a document of the whole trip. 8 cruises in 4 years and I don't want to risk them being a blur, hence the long reviews.

I haven't read it yet-I do that at the end.

I'm glad that you found it and have taken the time to read it!

Thanks for the compliments!

Norris

Great photos Norris. We had 5 days post cruise in Barcelona, and still didn't see everything. Sagrada Familia stays with you always, and your photos were fantastic. Unbelievable structure, and still not finished.

Continue Norris.......

Pat

Pat, glad you are still reading along!

Thanks for the compliments on the photos.

Norris

Norris,

We are enjoying your photos especially Barcelona.

Was breakfast included in the room rate for the Hotel.

We are planning to be in Barcelona next year post cruise.

Also, I would like to know how far were you from the Hop on Hop off

bus.

Thanks

Lance :)

Lance, nice to see a new name responding. Thanks for joining us here!

The hotel Majestic has 4 restaurants and one of them serves a buffet breakfast in a nice airy room for 30 Euro. Breakfast not included. We didn't use it as we wanted to be out on the street.

See my response to Cormike1 re the HoHo bus. The East route stops at all the Gaudis and our hotel was 2 blocks from Casa Batilo and 2 from La Pedrera in the opposite direction.

Hope this helps.

Norris

One thing I was hoping to find on La Rambla was the famous Opera House the Liceu.

This is just the office part

Here's a pic of what the opera house looks like inside

22872544896_ec4735b1a6_b.jpg

The Opera Season didn't start until 2 days after we left, otherwise....

22480153807_bc2cdcaa3d_b.jpg

Theater facade

22885078672_640cd1e32c_b.jpg

22710527400_081160421f_b.jpg

22480214118_7676ede159_b.jpg

Someday we'll see the inside....

A new responder! Welcome midwestchick.

I remember saying to a gentleman nearby as we rode the bus through Tuscany- you know the real Tuscany starts over those hills, away from the highway....

I now we haven't seen the good stuff, the rolling hills, the vineyards and the farmhouses so we have to go back and that's something to look forward to.

I mentioned some stats in a response some pages back and it was something like 33 hours just to improve the photos then 14 commands to get one photo onto the page= 84 per post. It's a lot of repetition. Yesterday marked 5 weeks of writing every day. So it's a big time commitment for sure but at the end I'll have a document of the whole trip. 8 cruises in 4 years and I don't want to risk them being a blur, hence the long reviews.

I haven't read it yet-I do that at the end.

I'm glad that you found it and have taken the time to read it!

Thanks for the compliments!

Norris

You're quite welcome, Norris. It's my pleasure to read it.

We are neighbors, although about 100 miles west of you. ;)

By the way, we've had our share of problems with pictures and the sushi loving bunch. It took me forever to capture the mural in Quebec City with the mob of groups. :rolleyes: :eek:

Edited by midwestchick

Corinne, one of my photos from the hotel shows two red HoHo buses

http://www.hop-on-hop-off-bus.com/barcelona-bus-tours

I think you could do all 4 Gaudis in one day but that would be complete overload (for me) and you'd end up hating Gaudi or the human race or both.

We split them over two days and the two you've seen so far took 4 hours-and we didn't see everything!.

The crowds are the main issue particularly if you want good photos to remember.

After I do this walk we'll have breakfast then visit la Pedrera. Batilo comes later in the day.

Norris

Thanks for your reply Norris. I think you are probably right about the overload part lol. I think I will take your advice on that. Thanks for the HOHO bus link. We love getting on that and staying on for the route just to see a lot of the city and then decide where we want to get off. Love those buses!

Corinne

You're quite welcome, Norris. It's my pleasure to read it.

We are neighbors, although about 100 miles west of you. ;)

By the way, we've had our share of problems with pictures and the sushi loving bunch. It took me forever to capture the mural in Quebec City with the mob of groups. :rolleyes: :eek:

The only way around this issue of 35 people striking the same pose in front of a statue, one at a time, is to photograph the statue at 5 a.m when they are asleep.

It was a struggle to get the pics I did, especially in Casa Batilo. I had to be very fast on the shutter.

The Batilo phots are a couple of days away after la Pedrera.

Norris

Thanks for your reply Norris. I think you are probably right about the overload part lol. I think I will take your advice on that. Thanks for the HOHO bus link. We love getting on that and staying on for the route just to see a lot of the city and then decide where we want to get off. Love those buses!

Corinne

Yes, this is a city where just riding along on the top of the bus will be rewarding in itself. It's a beauty especially on those wide streets in Eixample.

8 hours of Gaudi in a row would be too intense. 4 hours a day better and leave plenty of time for tapas lunches and dinners and just walking around.

You could easily spend 6 hours up on Montjuic, visiting the castle and museums/art galleries (Miro-not my style) and have a BBQ dinner up there then the illuminated fountain show which predates the Bellagio fountains by 90 years or so. So much to see!!

A splendid time is guaranteed for all!

Norris

Norris, this has been excellent, thank you.

We sailed Grand Med on Island Princess from Barcelona on Oct 1 and had two days there prior. You brought back a lot of memories.

I tried to post a picture from Park Guell - but no luck. I see your comment about 14 commands to post a photo !!!!

BTW we stayed at Hotel Jazz, a few blocks from Playa Catalunya and enjoyed it. The Majestic is clearly up market.

Norris, this has been excellent, thank you.

We sailed Grand Med on Island Princess from Barcelona on Oct 1 and had two days there prior. You brought back a lot of memories.

I tried to post a picture from Park Guell - but no luck. I see your comment about 14 commands to post a photo !!!!

BTW we stayed at Hotel Jazz, a few blocks from Playa Catalunya and enjoyed it. The Majestic is clearly up market.

Welcome, welcome! Another new face. Thanks for joining us.

The 14 commands are with Flickr photos- I don't know how it is with other hosts.

Centering them is two commands-I don't like the portrait pics hugging the L margin.

I looked at Hotel Jazz but it was too modern for us. The Majestic ticked a lot of boxes and proved perfect.

I'm glad you're here as I steer this ship into port...

Norris