Dining n teppanyaki and other speciality restaurants with food allergies

Jofishes

just wanted to ask if anybody has any experience or information when it comes to dining in Teppanyaki with a food allergy ?

we have made a reservation but the more i think about it the more i am starting to think it will be extremely difficult especially with multiple groups dining at the same table ?

can it be done ? we will be looking at no dairy

With the exception of egg being used for the fried rice. Or possibly a dessert. Not sure how much dairy there is in this type of cuisine.

The funny thing is I was about to post a similar post about this restaurant, only with a guest with a shellfish allergy.

The only dairy I remembered at Teppanyaki was in the dessert or alcoholic beverage. Now if someone in your has a shellfish allergy, then you need to worry because they do cook that on the same grill with the rice /vegetables/ meats....

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

With the exception of egg being used for the fried rice. Or possibly a dessert. Not sure how much dairy there is in this type of cuisine.

The funny thing is I was about to post a similar post about this restaurant, only with a guest with a shellfish allergy.

We ate at Teppenyaki on the Breakaway a few weeks ago with a guy at our table with the shellfish allergy. It was not a problem at all. The chef kept everything separate. He made the rest of the meal, then the shellfish. Since that cooks fast anyway, you really wouldn't have noticed.

Edited by CruisinHarvey
I can't spell

I agree. There isn't going to be much (if any!) dairy at this restaurant.

Regarding shellfish- 2 of the 3 times we've dined at Teppanyaki a stranger at our table has had a shellfish allergy. Both times they cooked the other meats first for the entire table, then after that, they cooked and served shellfish to all who had ordered that. I had gotten a steak/shrimp combo, so I was able to just eat my steak and the rest of my meal while I waited on the shrimp.

this is good to hear

my biggest concern came from reading a report where the person writing it mentioned the huge amount of butter that went into the fried rice but if they can cook the rice separately or possibly provide a boiled rice then we will be ok :)

Eggs are not dairy. They come from chickens which don't even produce milk. They are in the dairy case just because they have to be refrigerated.

Teppanyaki are always good with allergies - especially shellfish. If anyone has an allergy they will cook & serve them first and then cook the shellfish later so no contamination happens.

this is good to hear

my biggest concern came from reading a report where the person writing it mentioned the huge amount of butter that went into the fried rice but if they can cook the rice separately or possibly provide a boiled rice then we will be ok :)

I'm not sure if they use butter or just oil.

My husband cannot have gluten. At Teppankyaki, his meal was prepared and served first (they used butter instead of the other shortening like oil that is normally used). His food was all served prior to any soy sauce or shortening being added to the grill.

At the other specialty restaurants we had to inform the waitstaff of his allergy at the beginning of the meal. In the MDR, the allergy was already noted.

The first few days of the cruise, we received a phone call to check to make sure he was being taken care of properly.

Eggs are not dairy. They come from chickens which don't even produce milk. They are in the dairy case just because they have to be refrigerated.

Teppanyaki are always good with allergies - especially shellfish. If anyone has an allergy they will cook & serve them first and then cook the shellfish later so no contamination happens.

Yes, I did goof up on that one. See what happens when the eggs are in the dairy isle. I always thought eggs came from cows[emoji12].

And, I forgot about the butter since I thought it came from [emoji215][emoji239].

Don't even ask where I thought babies come from. Oy vey!!!

I have quite a few food allergies and found that when they took those foods out the meal was tasteless However I eat in all the other pay restaurants and they are fine I personally would choose another venues but it depends on allergies.I am well on from Platinumand I havent been ill yet

thank you so much for all of your replies

it is very reassuring and helpful :) I will worry a lot less now !

NCL deals with allergies at every single meal on every single sailing of every single ship. This is nothing new or unique that they haven't seen countless times. They've got this. :)

To the OP - Teppanyaki on Jewel a couple weeks ago was VERY accommodating on both occasions we went with my husband's seaweed and coconut allergies. They made sure he was aware of what he could and could not have and handled it all along the way. Incidentally it meant that he couldn't have the miso soup, the salad had the seaweed removed and one of the two dipping sauces had a touch of coconut in it.

To golfin55 - The second time we went there was a shellfish allergy at the table. The chef simply did the chicken dish she ordered before any seafood of any kind hit the cooking surface. As my husband got the same chicken/noodle dish it was a little weird with him having everything before I had any of my all seafood meal the second go around but I totally understood the necessity for it for the other guest and if the chef has to make two of something it only makes sense to do it all at once.