snorkeling

eliterror

The swim from beach to the tiki hut snorkel spot is about a 400 yard swim. But about half that, as you swim along the rocks to the left as you are looking as water from beach at Divi, there is flora and fauna. Although it always is better to have a "buddy" when swimming, this is pretty safe as a solo swim to get out to the tiki hut area, because (assuming good weather and sea conditions - and that is the norm) there will be a lot of people out there and the staff of the tiki hut operation generally keeps an eye on people swimming around the area. Of course, if you are not comfortable swimming 400 yards out in open water, you should not do it - but if you are, then I think you will be fine.

The swim from beach to the tiki hut snorkel spot is about a 400 yard swim. But about half that, as you swim along the rocks to the left as you are looking as water from beach at Divi, there is flora and fauna. Although it always is better to have a "buddy" when swimming, this is pretty safe as a solo swim to get out to the tiki hut area, because (assuming good weather and sea conditions - and that is the norm) there will be a lot of people out there and the staff of the tiki hut operation generally keeps an eye on people swimming around the area. Of course, if you are not comfortable swimming 400 yards out in open water, you should not do it - but if you are, then I think you will be fine.

Thanks for the description. I'll play it by ear that day and hopefully make it out there with the right sea conditions. :)

Hi mitsu,

The huts are a set of floating docks that excursions charge money to take cruisers to. It would have cost us $75/person to do the RC excursion to go snorkeling and we did it for free

I guess this brings up another question I have after thinking about this...

You said there's floating docks out there and mention the Tiki Huts. Since this is a place they take cruisers to for excursions, I assume we are not allowed to use the floating docks since we will not be on a paid excursion correct? I'm just thinking about swimming all the way out there and snorkeling and needing rest prior to the swim back. I wouldn't want to step on anyone's toes and use something I'm not allowed to.

As you say, you could not plan to use the tiki hut docks - certainly, not to get out of the water onto them.

That's what I figured. But, I wasn't sure if there were just some type of floating docks out there (other than the Tiki Hut) for people to use. I have been to places in the past that had floating docks for snorkeling and not just for tours, so I wasn't sure.

Thanks for the info. :)