Can I do this?

Giantfan13

We are booked on the Carnival Liberty, coming into Galveston on Friday, March 18. We are looking at a flight back to NY from Hobby, on Southwest , leaving at 11:20 AM. It says the ship arrives in Galveston at 8:00AM. This is really the best flight for us. Is this doable?

Since I am just starting to do some research into this, what would be our best option for transportation to Hobby from Galveston? Are there shuttles, taxi's

Thanks for any help and advice.

Cheers

Len

I had a thought about this, as I know what you mean about flights. We are often faced with a... too early or way too late ... to get nonstop flight on SW.

what I did (because we knew we could use refunded $ on another SW flight within THAT year), I really wanted to make the early flight but am not a gambler, so I literally booked both. 1045am flight and 8pm flight (from fll airport). We ended up making the 1045 flight :) so SW counted the 8pm as a, no show and basically gave us a "store credit" for the -$.... and we used the credit later that year.

If everything goes perfectly, you'd make that flight. If something goes amiss, who knows?

A few things to consider:

There have been customs delays in Galveston over the years.

Galveston sometimes gets fog, which can delay ship arrivals. March, I believe, may be within the fog probe time of year. Not sure how often it happens, but it sure makes an impression on those who experience it.

Your flight may be too early to qualify for a ship transfer, and even if it does, you might not want to wait for the big bus to fill, so you will likely need to plan on taxi or private car service to Hobby.

If you will stress over that flight while on the trip, just suck it up now and pick a later one. If you can roll with any punches, you might book that flight, but also have a back up plan...like a later or next day flight plan.

I had a thought about this, as I know what you mean about flights. We are often faced with a... too early or way too late ... to get nonstop flight on SW.

what I did (because we knew we could use refunded $ on another SW flight within THAT year), I really wanted to make the early flight but am not a gambler, so I literally booked both. 1045am flight and 8pm flight (from fll airport). We ended up making the 1045 flight :) so SW counted the 8pm as a, no show and basically gave us a "store credit" for the -$.... and we used the credit later that year.

We are using points to fly SW. Do they just return those points into your account, even if you don't show?

Cheers

Len

Edited by Giantfan13

If everything goes perfectly, you'd make that flight. If something goes amiss, who knows?

A few things to consider:

There have been customs delays in Galveston over the years.

Galveston sometimes gets fog, which can delay ship arrivals. March, I believe, may be within the fog probe time of year. Not sure how often it happens, but it sure makes an impression on those who experience it.

Your flight may be too early to qualify for a ship transfer, and even if it does, you might not want to wait for the big bus to fill, so you will likely need to plan on taxi or private car service to Hobby.

If you will stress over that flight while on the trip, just suck it up now and pick a later one. If you can roll with any punches, you might book that flight, but also have a back up plan...like a later or next day flight plan.

Thanks for the info and help.

I have never been to this area, but we are from the NY area. If we arrived in NYC and had to get to JFK in the AM, we'd be sitting in gobs of traffic forever. So what might we expect on a Friday morning trying to get to Houston?

Cheers

Len

Thanks for the info and help.

I have never been to this area, but we are from the NY area. If we arrived in NYC and had to get to JFK in the AM, we'd be sitting in gobs of traffic forever. So what might we expect on a Friday morning trying to get to Houston?

Cheers

Len

Like you, I have to fly to cruise from Galveston. We did it once and have another coming up. So, I do not have a lot of insight to share on traffic. lOcals do seem frustrated by the traffic....but is that not true nearly everywhere?

Thanks for the help and advice. I'll real have to think this out.

Cheers

Len

There are lots of variable...and lots of individual risk tolerances...and lots of personal timing issues to weigh. At least with SWA, making back up plans is less painful than with airlines with many nonfefundable fares. Good luck which ever way you go.

I just went ahead and booked that early flight using points. After talking with Southwest, they said by using points, if I miss the flight, the points will be credited back to my account.

We will also be making an alternative plan, like booking a flight on another day and renting a hotel room that will let us cancel up to a certain time the same day.

Just one more question, what is our best option to get to Hobby from the Port in Galveston that early in the day. I checked with Carnival and their shuttle is too late. From what I understand there are private shuttle services but they also leave a bit too late for us. Is Taxi the only way and about what kind of cost are we looking at?

Again, thanks for all the help.

Cheers

Len

I just went ahead and booked that early flight using points. After talking with Southwest, they said by using points, if I miss the flight, the points will be credited back to my account.

We will also be making an alternative plan, like booking a flight on another day and renting a hotel room that will let us cancel up to a certain time the same day.

Just one more question, what is our best option to get to Hobby from the Port in Galveston that early in the day. I checked with Carnival and their shuttle is too late. From what I understand there are private shuttle services but they also leave a bit too late for us. Is Taxi the only way and about what kind of cost are we looking at?

Again, thanks for all the help.

Cheers

Len

Hi Len, taxi or car service is an option, of course. For a shared shuttle, did you check Galveston express? Maybe one of their departures will work...if so book early, as their shuttles are well priced and do fill. Another choice: you could try to find others from your cruises roll call to share a private shuttle.