Portland, ME

ILOVEHI50

We will be in Portland Oct 12th. 7 am to 6 pm. The weather looks like it should be fantastic for mid October. Warm and Sunny. I am looking for opinions. Peak season appears that it is late this year. Trying to see great colors, and get some nice pictures. I do have a rental car reserved, just over a mile walk from the ship.

Option 1. Cancel the rental car, and just walk around Portland (we've never been there before).

Option 2. Keep the rental and drive along the coast. If so, which direction?

Option 3. Keep the rental and drive further inland. Suggestions on where to go.

I would like some good lobster; but can always get it at the other ports also.

Thanks in advance.

Inland on US-302 west from Portland is a nice scenic ride (once you get away from the city), and takes you by Sebago Lake.

Or, about 12 miles from Portland on US-302, you can opt for US-202 to the northeast, which has the advantage of allowing a faster return trip to Portland, using I-95.

Inland on US-302 west from Portland is a nice scenic ride (once you get away from the city), and takes you by Sebago Lake.

Or, about 12 miles from Portland on US-302, you can opt for US-202 to the northeast, which has the advantage of allowing a faster return trip to Portland, using I-95.

Thanks so much. I did look at the map today. The Inland on US-302 is what I was originally thinking. Still not 100% sure; but at least I have something to go by.

We will be in Portland Oct 12th. 7 am to 6 pm. The weather looks like it should be fantastic for mid October. Warm and Sunny. I am looking for opinions. Peak season appears that it is late this year. Trying to see great colors, and get some nice pictures. I do have a rental car reserved, just over a mile walk from the ship.

Option 1. Cancel the rental car, and just walk around Portland (we've never been there before).

Option 2. Keep the rental and drive along the coast. If so, which direction?

Option 3. Keep the rental and drive further inland. Suggestions on where to go.

I would like some good lobster; but can always get it at the other ports also.

Thanks in advance.

HHHHHEEEEELLLLLLLLLLOOOOO ILOVEHI50: You should do option 1. Portland, ME is a walk able city. The two main streets are Commercial Ave which runs near where the ship is and Congress Ave. which you will walk up the hill to. Congress Ave has more stores to shop at. Commercial Ave is more for tourists. There is a lot to see and do in Portland. Have a really good time. At and near Congress Ave you will find some museums to see. If this is your first time in Portland walk around and see the city.

HHHHHEEEEELLLLLLLLLLOOOOO ILOVEHI50: You should do option 1. Portland, ME is a walk able city. The two main streets are Commercial Ave which runs near where the ship is and Congress Ave. which you will walk up the hill to. Congress Ave has more stores to shop at. Commercial Ave is more for tourists. There is a lot to see and do in Portland. Have a really good time. At and near Congress Ave you will find some museums to see. If this is your first time in Portland walk around and see the city.

This is what we did. We also had time to hop on boat and do a lighthouse tour and grab a lobster roll at portland lobster co right near the ship and next to the boat tour.

If this is your first time in Portland walk around and see the city.

I agree. We stopped there on our Sept. cruise. As it was our first time in Portland, we opted to walk around the area. We docked at the Ocean Gateway terminal, which is a bit northeast of downtown. There were many local craftspeople/artists selling their wares along Commercial St. We then walked up (a slight incline) through the downtown area to Congress St., which runs along the ridge of the town. I especially enjoyed the "Made in Maine" store where I bought local jams and other locally made items. Along our route (doglegged a different way going and returned) discovered pocket parks, well-maintained old buildings, etc.

Portland is on the water, but not directly on the ocean. Directly across from the pier is the South Portland peninsula and to the NE and east are islands of various size. Lot of trees on those islands so it should be beautiful when the leaves turn! And be sure to watch sailaway to see the lighthouse on Portland Head.

Edited by BarbinMich

Here's a site with current foliage conditions:

http://www.maine.gov/dacf/mfs/projects/fall_foliage/index.shtml

Thanks for all of the replies. Thanks so much for the map of the colors. It indeed looks like it is a little later for the color this year (from what I've been told). I am one of those folks that likes to over think everything. I know whatever we decide will be great. The weather is suppose to be around 70 and sunny; so touring Portland may be the best option this time; since we probably would need to drive further than I would want to in order to see a lot of color.

If you came for the colors, keep the rental car and drive out of the city, Especially on a nice warm autumn day, why just walk around a city. Portland is a wonderful city, but not to see the fall colors,

Some of the routes already suggested are great,

You go there to see fall colors, so get out and see them.

Cheers

Len