corkage fee in MDR

mina518

It is my understanding that you are permitted to bring onboard 1 bottle of wine per adult in a stateroom. Is the corkage fee if we ask them to store any leftover wine for the following night? Is each bottle of wine subject to the corkage fee or is it a one time fee? Any way of getting around it?

I'm just trying to understand the reason for their fee. I'm just used to in NJ you can bring your own alcohol to a BYOB restaurant and not charged a fee.

Thanks,

Mina:)

The corkage fee applies for having the wine served in the MDR. Not just to store it. If they open it and you drink it all, the corkage fee would still apply.

Got it! Now I'm getting techinical..even if it's a twist top and I open on my own they would charge? LOL My favorite moscato is a twist top. Hahaha

Got it! Now I'm getting techinical..even if it's a twist top and I open on my own they would charge? LOL My favorite moscato is a twist top. Hahaha

Yes. It's not about opening the wine, but rather the loss of revenue from not buying from the wine stewards.

Here's what you can do....open bottle of wine in your cabin. Pour youself a glass. Take to dining room with you, in your glass. Problem solved, no fee! Also, fyi, ask the room steward for a corkscrew, if you need it. Wine glasses should be in your room, but if not, just ask.

NO corkage fee for the ALLOWED wine.

I'm a little shocked that someone with 70,00 posts doesn't understand the corkage 'rules' where if you consume your 'allowed' wine in cabin there is no corkage, but consumed in any public area (take it to dinner or a bar or a show) then, officially, you should be charged corkage.

A lot of bartenders or bar service personnel or waiters will not do so, but it is in the contract that you accept when you book.

A $15 corkage fee (a charge exacted at a restaurant for every bottle of wine served that was not bought on the premises), per 750 ml bottle, will be charged should guests wish to consume their wine or champagne in a main dining room, steakhouse or bar.

gary

Castello del Poggio?

I bring a bottle every cruise and bring a glass with me to dinner.

Question....if you bring two bottles of wine with you and you fly to the port, they have to be in your checked luggage correct? I thought I remebered flying past year after visiting a vineyard that they couldn't be in your carry on.

When you boat the shop, should they be in your carry on or checked luggage?

Question....if you bring two bottles of wine with you and you fly to the port, they have to be in your checked luggage correct? I thought I remebered flying past year after visiting a vineyard that they couldn't be in your carry on.

When you boat the shop, should they be in your carry on or checked luggage?

This will be the first time we are bringing wine, but through my reading here on CC I believe they must be in your carry on. Any wine or liquor in checked baggage will be disposed of and they just leave a note in your suitcase when delivered. No more being called to the "naughty room" I've heard.

This will be the first time we are bringing wine, but through my reading here on CC I believe they must be in your carry on. Any wine or liquor in checked baggage will be disposed of and they just leave a note in your suitcase when delivered. No more being called to the "naughty room" I've heard.

so when you board the ship, in your carry on?

What about on the plane?

Edited by bahama_mama2015
Wrong word

It is my understanding that you are permitted to bring onboard 1 bottle of wine per adult in a stateroom. Is the corkage fee if we ask them to store any leftover wine for the following night? Is each bottle of wine subject to the corkage fee or is it a one time fee? Any way of getting around it?

I'm just trying to understand the reason for their fee. I'm just used to in NJ you can bring your own alcohol to a BYOB restaurant and not charged a fee.

Thanks,

Mina:)

Back in July, we (three couples) opened our wine bottles in our cabins, filled glasses, and brought the glasses and the opened bottles to dinner with us. We poured ourselves the entire time so incurred no corkage fees. We took our bottles back to our cabins after dinner. The ones we didn't finish, anyway. ;) Our cabin stewards kept an ice bucket full for us so our wine stayed cold.

We plan on bringing our allowed number onboard (4 of us, so 1 each) and also buying the 5 bottle package. We'll bring a glass with us and then use the package bottles for our refills at dinner. We don't drink much other than wine.

Back in July, we (three couples) opened our wine bottles in our cabins, filled glasses, and brought the glasses and the opened bottles to dinner with us. We poured ourselves the entire time so incurred no corkage fees. We took our bottles back to our cabins after dinner. The ones we didn't finish, anyway. ;) Our cabin stewards kept an ice bucket full for us so our wine stayed cold.

Based on the carnival rules, they could have charged you a fee.. It has nothing to do with if you open the bottle yourself. If you consume it at the MDR, Steakhouse or bar area, you can be charged. You were just lucky not to be charged

NO corkage fee for the ALLOWED wine.

Once again you are posting wrong info. If you take your allowed bottle of wine to the MDR, a corkage fee could be charged. Some have reported that they haven't been charged but if once in a while you read the FAQs you might learn something,

The info below is taken from the FAQs.

A $15 USD corkage fee (a charge exacted at a restaurant for every bottle of wine served that was not bought on the premises), per 750 ml bottle, will be charged should guests wish to consume their wine or champagne in the main dining room, steakhouse or bar.

On my last cruise I was told by my waiter that they are ramping up enforcement of the corkage fee. He stated that if the Matre D' sees a bottle of wine on the table he will check to make sure the corkage fee was charged. If you really want to avoid the fee, download the Carnival wine list and bring onboard one of the wines from their list. That way the waitstaff can claim you obtained the bottle on board. That was straight from the waiter's mouth.

On my last cruise I was told by my waiter that they are ramping up enforcement of the corkage fee. He stated that if the Matre D' sees a bottle of wine on the table he will check to make sure the corkage fee was charged. If you really want to avoid the fee, download the Carnival wine list and bring onboard one of the wines from their list. That way the waitstaff can claim you obtained the bottle on board. That was straight from the waiter's mouth.

The Maitre'd can determine if you actually purchased bottles so this may or may not work. It definitely won't work if you are a PITA or remove tips so grease those palms.

Just had this conversation this week with the fun shop CSR on the phone, I had called regarding the "cruising the vineyards deal" to make sure we can get the bottles delivered to cabin or bring the issued voucher to get a bottle in the MDR. Yes, room service can bring up or we can order in MDR, no corkage fee for those bottles BUT if WE bring an unopened bottle into the MDR there will be a corkage fee added.

So, just bring your cork screw with you and open in cabin then bring bottle to dinner already opened (we typically pour a glass and bring it with us in our own big wine glasses).

Edited by Drazil65