Tourist info/maps on board

GiGiGi

It has been a few years since our last Oceania cruise, but I remember tourist information and maps available as we arrived in each port. Is this still true. We will be on Marina and will DIY in some ports. We have done a lot of research, but those tourist maps are always helpful.

Thank you for any help you may be able to provide.

It has been a few years since our last Oceania cruise, but I remember tourist information and maps available as we arrived in each port. Is this still true. We will be on Marina and will DIY in some ports. We have done a lot of research, but those tourist maps are always helpful.

Thank you for any help you may be able to provide.

They still have them on board. Sometimes the tourist rep that boards in the morning brings them and occasionally Oceania had them the night before. I always pick one up even if I have my own and then I pick more up if there is a TI kiosk or desk in the terminal or dock since they are more detailed.

I would take your own it saves time lining up for the tourist rep

The maps O provide they are very simple you would never find your way around town with them ;)

I make a file of places I want to go & how to get there ..print it off & toss as we go

This was only failing on recent WC. No real port maps. I could tell lecturers had been instructed to not give out info that would hinder ship excursion sales. Ship tours were grossly overpriced , long and boring. I noticed usually only one bus for ships tours.Cruisers were boycotting them. Most ports had nearby TIs. I brought the DK Eyewitness Guides and a few Fodors books. Both with good maps. There were the usual tour vendors on the dock. So be prepared unless you enjoy an 8 hr. $400 bus ride.

Edited by zoncom

On our recently completed Med cruise on Nautica there was a local representative that boarded the ship at every port with maps. He/she set up shop near the reception desk. We had our own maps, but found that the ones the representative had were often easier to decipher as we did a lot of DIY exploration in port. They were very willing to answer questions as well.