Santiago to buenos aires in october

SeaWatch

We are considering the October, 2016 cruise from Santiago to Buenos Aires:

Any recommendations on a cabin: is this one ( like Alaska) where th extra cost for a balcony is really worth it?

Also, what kind of weather can we expect in October!

Thanks so much!

Did that route with Antarctica included in January 2013.

The Chilean inside passage is huge. (Take a look at a detailed map. I got one 3'x4' prior to my trip, that covered chili and Argentina- it is amazing how much of the Chilean coast is waterway and island). We missed one day of it due to fog. If you are one to use your balcony for scenic cruising, I would say yes.

I had an outside cabin and spent most of my time on deck. Lots of decks. I would also suggest that you periodically get out to the bow (if it is open) or aft so you can see both sides of the channels. It gives you a different perspective. (Lots to see outside and lots to miss if you stay on just one side).

You might get the cruising map for the inside passage. I brought mine with me, but Veendam had one posted for all to view. The captain asked where I had gotten mine, as they sell them in Ush, and we were not able to dock there due to high winds.

Edited by TiogaCruiser

In case you are interested, here's the inside passage map I referred to:

Patagonian & Fuegian Channels Waterproof Map: Chilean Fjords Cruise Chart - Cape Horn, Ushuaia, Magellan Strait

http://Http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1879568969/ref=mp_s_a_1_10?qid=1444916052&sr=8-10&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&keywords=chile+map

Edited by TiogaCruiser

Our cruise from Valpairaiso to Buenes Aires is still the best cruise we ever took. We really enjoyed our balcony but we were on deck and about a lot. So much to see.

Humpbacks on port, Orcas on Starboard, Sea Lions aft all at the same time! Amazing cruise.

OleSalt - a great idea. How long does it take to get to the falls?

I'm not sure how far by vehicle but when we did the Falls we flew (1.5 hrs?)from Buenes Aires stayed two night than flew back to BA. It really takes at least two days to see all of it. It's huge with many different falls.

Well worth going to.

If it is 1.5 by air, no way driving wound work!

Not positive how long a flight but some of our fellow cruisers rented a car after flying up there. We stayed on the Argentina side as the Brazilian Visa cost for a one day visit wasn't worth it to us.

I believe Hal offers pre and post cruise excursions to the Falls. It was a lot cheaper doing it on our own and a private guide met us at the airport. Stayed in the Park at Shearaton.

Dinner + dance show, but not a simple dance show, a fantastic dance show see the video we shot on Flickr:

tango show 182

Another option, if you are pressed for time or not into DIY, is the HAL lunch and tango show. This take up most of the day ( it is combined with a tour through BsAs, and then they drop you of at EZE. The lunch was quite good. The costuming was fabulous. The show was centered on the history of tango. As an historical costumer by hobby (obsession?) I have to say they got the period cut right. The lunch was really good too.

Humpbacks on port, Orcas on Starboard, Sea Lions aft all at the same time! Amazing cruise.

You made me laugh. Remember Chris on the PA? ...." A whole pod of orcas to port, just at 2 o'clock :confused:..... Seh's to starboard at 11 o'clock ".:confused: