First family cruise on NCL Jade!

Danyle

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

You will also find tons of good info on the portion of Cruise Critic devoted to NCL, located here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=107

NCL Jade's Roll calls are located here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=360

Edited by CruiserBruce

I believe your kids will love the kids club on this ship. For you and your husband, the best two restaurants are Le Bistro (very pretty and romantic) and Cagney's Steakhouse (dark and elegant.) If you want to take your kids to a specialty restaurant, make a reservation BEFORE you board for Teppanyaki - it's like Benehana. The MDR is also good - we liked the airy Grand Pacific especially.

In the morning if the buffet is crowded, walk all the way through and look to the right where La Cucina is - they open the doors for overflow breakfast seating - it is usually not discovered by most guests for several days, leaving you with on of the nicest places for breakfast onboard!

The spa is nice, but not as grand as on NCL's newest ships, still very nice for relaxation:

"The Thermal Suite within the Spa costs $119 for a week (or $199 per couple for a week) and a limited number of passes are available. Facilities include single sex saunas and steam rooms, 2 hot tub baths, a relaxation room, Jacuzzi and a hydro-therapy thalassotherapy pool which combines the restorative properties of saltwater with invigorating massage jets to create the ultimate relaxation experience. Also located by the pool are around seven heated ceramic loungers and loungers enjoying sea views out of the floor to ceiling windows."

The Great Outdoors is a good place for lunch and sail away.

If you are in a penthouse or above, well, you will have an amazing time. However, all the cabins on this ship are lovely. The whole ship is really nice with good service and it's not too big. Perfect for a first family cruise.

Have a wonderful time!

Thanks everyone! Also does anyone know what average Caribbean weather is like the beginning of January and water temperature? Will it be warm enough to enjoy beaches? We come from Nebraska so anything will be warmer than here. [emoji4]

Thanks everyone! Also does anyone know what average Caribbean weather is like the beginning of January and water temperature? Will it be warm enough to enjoy beaches? We come from Nebraska so anything will be warmer than here. [emoji4]

If your itinerary is Belize, Roatan and Cozumel you are in for a treat. Mid-day temps usually in the 80's. Water temps are a little cool. Maybe the upper 70's. We usually cruise December thru February and the weather has been pretty good to us.

Have fun.

Not OP, but also a first-time cruiser sailing on the Jade with a 4 year old this January (we're going at the end of the month, though).

We are going to try all of the complimentary dining options on this cruise, since it is our first. If we really don't like any of them, we'll move up to specialty restaurants on future cruises, but this is already an expensive vacation by our standards so I'd prefer to see how we fare with the included options before we start paying extra money for better things.

We're from the Midwest, too, so I think that makes us easier to please than the average East Coast or West Coast experienced cruiser. Most of the complaints that I've heard about the complimentary restaurants on NCL are that they are at an "Olive Garden" or "Denny's" level. Those certainly aren't my first choice of places to eat out, but I can always find something I enjoy eating, even at a chain restaurant, so I'm thinking it will be the same on the Jade.

Plus, there is the added bonus of not having to worry about finishing a plate that I don't like. There are so many eating options that if I'm still hungry after dinner, well, dessert is included, and if I hate dessert, I can always swing by the 24 hour restaurant for a snack! :)

Edited by anonmom
Spacing

If your itinerary is Belize, Roatan and Cozumel you are in for a treat. Mid-day temps usually in the 80's. Water temps are a little cool. Maybe the upper 70's. We usually cruise December thru February and the weather has been pretty good to us.

Have fun.

Yes that is our itinerary! Thank you for all the useful information! We don't do a lot of traveling so everyone is very excited!