What to do in Port Canaveral with 5-y old?

manazca

We will be in Port Canaveral on Dec. 22 with our 5-y old from 6:30am to 9 pm. 1. None of us has ever been at Disney and have nothing planned yet in the near future. I know my daughter would be thrilled beyond belief if we went there. From what I read that day will be super busy and we won't have enough time to enjoy (also expensive). However, I have a hard time letting go ... Is that truly the case? Would you recommend not even trying given the frustration we'll likely experience?

2. What would you recommend doing for the day?

TIA!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Keep in mind Port Canaveral is at least a 45min-1hr drive to Disney. That means a lot of time just traveling back and forth.

I would take the Capt's advice and save Disney when you have the time to enjoy it.

I hope you have a great cruise!!!

If you have never been to Disney, a one-day cruise stop on Dec 22nd is NOT a good idea. The parks can be overwhelming to a first-time visitor who is unfamiliar with the layout, crowd patterns and fast-pass system. Its about an hour's drive each way without traffic and I'm sure at that time it will be busier and traffic heavier.

You'd spend a lot of money on the visit (one-day tickets run about $110/each, then there's transportation and food costs...upwards of $500-700 for a family of four) for just one day.

That being said, it is possible to do it...we did on our Carnival Pride cruise that was in port from 7am until 6pm...but this was our seventh visit to Disney. We booked private transportation, had days left on old tickets and knew exactly which attractions we wanted to see. We don't need a map and know some of the shortcuts through the park. All told, the day cost us about $350 because our only cost was the private transport and food.

Thanks, everyone. Much appreciated! With lot of reluctance I'll leave Disney for another time, I know rationally that's the best decision.

- How about Kennedy Space Center?

- Is there a nice beach close by or resort with all day passes? I suffer from chronic pain (neck and headaches) so maybe a quiet day wouldn't be too bad either. Just don't want to stay on the ship.

Brevard Zoo / tree top trek (they have a special course for the little ones)

Dinosaur Museum

I think my daughter would absolutely love the dinosaur museum. I'll check it out, thanks. My DH on the other hand would probably very much like KSC.

Jetty Park or Cape Canaveral Pier but Dec may not be beach weather . . .

KSC is a $50 admission (on your own), plus parking. Your best transportation is a rental. The drive is easy.

Edited by Capt_BJ