Ocean Blue Menu

executive2

At the risk of making people angry, I have to admit that Andy Stuart was right when he said that going à la carte can save people money. It's reasonable for people to go here and have a nice meal while paying less than what the original cover charge was. It will be interesting to see the new menus for Cagney's and Le Bistro on Escape.
You are right. I would have the filet (with sides) and a salad and it would be around $24 plus 18% gratuity. Still cheaper to purchase the SDP, as that is $20 a meal, it the prices are the same at Cagney's and LeBistro. Edited by NLH Arizona

One can still eat 3 courses for less than the original cover was, while still having several choices.

Considering Ocean Blue original cover charge was like $49.99, I think anyone can spend less than that. But the original cover charge for Cargney was $35, for example, and new a la carte main course prices start at like $17.99 with 18% autotip - That's not bad for someone that just wants 1 plate of food. And since the apps and desserts are the close to the same price as Ocean Blue's, that ever better.

I got the prices from the announcement , if you were wondering - http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/pressroom/pressRelease.html?storyCode=PR_071415

At the risk of making people angry, I have to admit that Andy Stuart was right when he said that going à la carte can save people money. It's reasonable for people to go here and have a nice meal while paying less than what the original cover charge was. It will be interesting to see the new menus for Cagney's and Le Bistro on Escape.

I get your point about Ocean Blue. With the previous $45 cover, was it, under Zacharian, it would be pretty easy to come in under that with a la carte. But it's not Zacharian anymore. And we haven't seen the Cagneys menus yet, but I wonder if it will be as easy to go a la carte for the same $30 we paid before.

Does anyone really think NCL did the change to a la carte in order to save a few dollars for folks who don't eat much? Rather than donate to some charity? This is just the spin they put on it. They did this for the same reason that drives every other decision they make and that is to make money. Nothing wrong with that, IMO, but I do know when I am being manipulated:cool:.

I never bought dinner packages before the change to a la carte. It just wasn't worth it to save a few bucks over the cover charges. Now I feel like I must in order to possibly save money. With the 2 pretend menus I picked out for Ocean Blue, I might have saved $5 on one, sans package, but it was close to break even. On the other, I would have saved some over a la carte pricing, but that's not taking into consideration that I have already paid for a full week of meals with my cruise fare, plus SDP, plus up charge for some venues, plus 18%. So did I really save anything? But, I felt like I had to buy those SDPs. Yes, NCL knows their customers.

For those venues with no additional up charges, like Cagneys, I do think it will be easier to at least hit the break even point. Hopefully, I will not have any more out of pocket expense than with the old $30 cover charge. But, to be sure, NCL is selling way more dinner packages than they ever did before. Upcoming family cruise, 6 packages bought. Previous cruise zero. And, just like with the UBP, they are making money on them. Will I actually save any? Not sure yet. Was I better off with cover charges and no a la carte and no packages? Definitely.

I get your point about Ocean Blue. With the previous $45 cover, was it, under Zacharian, it would be pretty easy to come in under that with a la carte. But it's not Zacharian anymore. And we haven't seen the Cagneys menus yet, but I wonder if it will be as easy to go a la carte for the same $30 we paid before.

Does anyone really think NCL did the change to a la carte in order to save a few dollars for folks who don't eat much? Rather than donate to some charity? This is just the spin they put on it. They did this for the same reason that drives every other decision they make and that is to make money. Nothing wrong with that, IMO, but I do know when I am being manipulated:cool:.

I never bought dinner packages before the change to a la carte. It just wasn't worth it to save a few bucks over the cover charges. Now I feel like I must in order to possibly save money. With the 2 pretend menus I picked out for Ocean Blue, I might have saved $5 on one, sans package, but it was close to break even. On the other, I would have saved some over a la carte pricing, but that's not taking into consideration that I have already paid for a full week of meals with my cruise fare, plus SDP, plus up charge for some venues, plus 18%. So did I really save anything? But, I felt like I had to buy those SDPs. Yes, NCL knows their customers.

For those venues with no additional up charges, like Cagneys, I do think it will be easier to at least hit the break even point. Hopefully, I will not have any more out of pocket expense than with the old $30 cover charge. But, to be sure, NCL is selling way more dinner packages than they ever did before. Upcoming family cruise, 6 packages bought. Previous cruise zero. And, just like with the UBP, they are making money on them. Will I actually save any? Not sure yet. Was I better off with cover charges and no a la carte and no packages? Definitely.

I didn't say or imply that NCL's purpose was to save people money. I said that it CAN save people money, and we've both found that to be true. But I agree with most of what you are saying. We had UDP on our last 2 cruises (once as a promo, once purchased), and after the last one, we'd decided we weren't going to do specialties any more. We just weren't excited enough about the atmosphere or food. (My favorite restaurant I've visited is still Tropicana Room on Getaway, so there you go.) However, then they introduced this SDP plan, and suddenly I'm right back buying a package (4 meals on 10 night cruise). It's so much more appealing to me not feeling like I have to eat in Specialties every night. So yep, NCL gained another customer. Good plan on their part.

• 3 weeks later...

We are just off Getaway. Ocean Blue was empty pretty much every night. We went and paid the $17.70 upcharge to eat there with our SDP. It was the biggest bargain on the ship. You could order as much of anything that you wanted, including entrees. I ordered 3 appetizers, one main entrée (the whole steamed lobster of course!) and 3 sides. Everything was delicious and the service was just excellent. No complaints, totally worth the upcharge.

Thanks so much for reporting back. After seeing the new menu I went ahead and made reservations. We booked back in February and are under the old UDP. The upcharge was 17.70 per person (that included Gratuities). I am excited to see we can order pretty much what we want on the menu with the exclusion of certain items. Thanks once again for letting us know.