Immunizations

RMVET

My husband and I have been checking to see what immunizations are recommended for the various countries we will be visiting on the complete QE world voyage. For many of the places, immunizations for Typhoid and Malaria were recommended, along with some others like Hep. A and B.

For those of you who have taken this route before, do you get a Typhoid, Malaria and other immunizations? We don't want to get shots we really don't need. Advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

My husband and I have been checking to see what immunizations are recommended for the various countries we will be visiting on the complete QE world voyage. For many of the places, immunizations for Typhoid and Malaria were recommended, along with some others like Hep. A and B.

For those of you who have taken this route before, do you get a Typhoid, Malaria and other immunizations? We don't want to get shots we really don't need. Advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

You can check the requirements here.

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/traveler/none/afghanistan

Enjoy your WC.

David.

The CDC recommendations generally apply to someone spending a certain amount if time in a country (certainly more than 8-10 hours) and may be overkill for someone only visiting on a cruise ship port call. In absence of more specific recommendation I don't think I'd take X days (up to five weeks?) of Lariam for a single daylight port visit - the chance of infection is too low and the risk of nasty side effects from the drug is too high. There is currently no effective malaria vaccine (link).

But I think that the normal travel immunizations such as yellow fever and hepatitis A-B are a good idea for someone who travels at any frequency. Isn't typhoid generally given in concert with the standard tetanus shot?

Edited by Underwatr

We always maintain the standard hepatitis/typhoid/tetanus injections so we are covered wherever we travel. With most of them once you have had your booster you are covered for quite a long time, though this varies of course.

Personally we wouldn't bother with yellow fever unless we were either going to a part of a country that is at significant risk (most cruise ports aren't) or if we were going to a country that had vaccination as a specific entry requirement (I think going from Peru to Equador requires a certificate, for example)

Same goes for malaria. Unless we were going to a high risk area (again, most cruise ports aren't high risk areas unless you plan to travel further into the country), we wouldn't take meds for the sake of it.

Edited by milamber

Many major hospitals in the US and surely in the Wash Dc area, have Travel clinics that you can visit. Give them your full itinerary and they will tell you which vacs. and shots they recommend. I used this for a previous world cruise and was quite pleased as they recommended one or two minor but important shots that might have gone forgotten on my own.

hep a and B.

Pneumonia

is there any concern for needing any shots for being on a ship with so many people for an extended time?

The biggest concern would be Noro virus but I believe there is no vaccine available yet but work on it is being done.

Would be a big money maker for the innovator.

David

hep a and B.

Pneumonia

is there any concern for needing any shots for being on a ship with so many people for an extended time?

Flu shot, certainly (we typically cruise in the Winter).

We got our travel clinic shots before trips to Thailand and Kenya back in 2002 and '04 so we haven't had to worry aside from the periodic TTP and flu shots.

Edited by Underwatr

Having done several world cruises but on another line and also a lot of business travel when I worked, I would recommend going to a travel professional. Most internists are not up on all of this and a travel medical professional is far better.

Here's a good company to use since you are from the USA.

http://www.passporthealthusa.com

As part of the appointment process they will ask for your history of vaccinations.

The other key is two fold: bring with you the itinerary for your voyage and also if you have decided bring with you the specific tours you think you will be doing. The tours are important because depending on what you are doing will be a factor as to whether a specific vaccination is necessary. Remember, most vaccinations are your choice other than if a country requires yellow fever.

Discuss if you have any overlands planned to and what they involve.

It's comes down not to just the country you are visiting but what you are doing. For example, you visit Africa on a cruise you don't necessarily need malaria pills. However, you go on a safari to a location where there is high malaria risk than a medical professional would highly recommend the malaria shot. Say you plan to dine exclusively on board the ship, then a typhoid vaccination (there are two kinds; which is another decision for you and your travel medical professional to decide), is not going to be recommended. However, if you will be on an overland and depending where in the world that is a typhoid vaccination will be recommended in some areas.

In the end, as you would for areas needing expertise (law, medicine, etc.) see a person who specialized in travel, share with them your plans and medical history, allow them to make recommendations to you and they will give you the forms about each vaccination they recommend which you can also read and then you'll make a decision. Some of the recommendations are subjective but at least you will get recommendations from someone who is a professional.

Keith

Not according to the US CDC.

Malaria prophylaxis has the potential for much more severe side effects.

True and I am not a doc.

we have taken Malarone without problems, but some of the side effects on the other 2 main drugs available can be strong. Its complicated.

Over many years, I have had the inoculations for typhoid, yellow fever etc. the last time would have been seven years ago. We have taken four world cruises in as many years, the last one was in 2014 on QE. We did not have any injections apart from flu which we get yearly.

The CDC recommendations generally apply to someone spending a certain amount if time in a country (certainly more than 8-10 hours) and may be overkill for someone only visiting on a cruise ship port call. In absence of more specific recommendation I don't think I'd take X days (up to five weeks?) of Lariam for a single daylight port visit - the chance of infection is too low and the risk of nasty side effects from the drug is too high. There is currently no effective malaria vaccine (link).

But I think that the normal travel immunizations such as yellow fever and hepatitis A-B are a good idea for someone who travels at any frequency. Isn't typhoid generally given in concert with the standard tetanus shot?

No, not Typhoid. It is Tetanus.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

Not according to the US CDC.

Malaria prophylaxis has the potential for much more severe side effects.

A very true statement, between my own experiences and those of my close Navy friends, we have had most of the options available and the side effects were interesting, to say the least. Most common and discussed were enormously vivid dreams and nightmares with the accompanying challenges to sleep.