Cautionery tale

pizzadog

We were in Huatulco aten days ago while on a Panama Cruise. We had a wonderful tour, 5 Bays by Catamaran, followed by shopping in the small dockside tourist area. We were approached by a fellow encouraging us to visit the cafe in the plaza. Since we wanted to sit and use their wifi we ordered two marguerites, and a plate of guacamole, salsa and tortillas. We did not ask to see a menu so which was admittedly foolish on our part. When we asked for our bill the waitress wrote it out on the spot and presented it to us. Imagine my surprise to see it was for $37 U.S. I expressed my surprise and was shocked to be told "that's what it costs here". Because we were so taken aback we just paid and left - should have asked to see the menu then. Just a "mea culpa", but hopefully a warning for others.:(

Edited by pizzadog

We were in Huatulco aten days ago while on a Panama Cruise. We had a wonderful tour, 5 Bays by Catamaran, followed by shopping in the small dockside tourist area. We were approached by a fellow encouraging us to visit the cafe in the plaza. Since we wanted to sit and use their wifi we ordered two marguerites, and a plate of guacamole, salsa and tortillas. We did not ask to see a menu so which was admittedly foolish on our part. When we asked for our bill the waitress wrote it out on the spot and presented it to us. Imagine my surprise to see it was for $37 U.S. I expressed my surprise and was shocked to be told "that's what it costs here". Because we were so taken aback we just paid and left - should have asked to see the menu then. Just a "mea culpa", but hopefully a warning for others.:(

We see this kind of thing around the world. At one of the outdoor cafes in St Marks Square (Venice) only a fool would pay 20€ for a cup of coffee, but we often see folks who sit at those tables. As to Mexico (where we live part of the year) they do see cruise ship passengers coming and often take advantage unless you are aware. When we walked over to the beach in Huatulco and started asking the cost of beach chairs we initially heard things like $20 (US) for a lounger. It was only when I said, we will order some drinks and lunch if you give us the loungers for free, that we got that deal (which is the norm in many parts of Mexico).

But your warning is good advice. Never sit down at a cafe or restaurant anywhere (even at home) without knowing the prices.

Hank

That is a shame, but it's happened to me also, and yes, you should have asked to see the menu. I challenged a waiter in Cabo when I went to the same establishment two nights in a row and got charged a different price for a bucket of beer than the previous night. It was quickly reduced.

It happened to me in San Diego when I ordered a glass of wine without looking at the menu and when I got the bill, they charged me $12 for one glass, not even a large one, a usual six ounce pour. Needless to say, I will never go to that restaurant again.

Ditto... know the prices before ordering... also carefully test the wifi before ordering... way too many times have we ordered 1st to find dribble slow or no actual wifi... sours good food and drink... speedy wifi is very rare for typical cruise port visits... If you need the internet at port visits, best to buy an international data plan from your USA carrier, saves on wifi search frustration

I think we've all fallen for it one time or another...

We had the same thing happen in Ensenada...

My wife wanted a drink and we were passing by a bar/restaurant with outdoor tables on the sidewalk...people passing by, street performers breakdancing and such out front...the Maitre d' approaching us and enticing us to have a seat...

Normally, I would have declined and walked to Papas and Beer's downstairs restaurant--where they have printed menus, advertised specials and the prices are clear and reasonable...But that was two or three blocks walk away and my wife was tired...

So, I just said "sure" and we sat down and ordered Margaritas...They brought chips, salsa and guacamole "gratis" and the Margaritas were nice and large...but, when the check came, it was rather sizable...It wasn't incredibly outrageous--just overpriced in a town where, often, things like that come at bargain prices...We paid it...and chalked it up to experience...