Info for Galveston check-in

Sweet Dutch Girl

Since there has been so much speculation about the new check-in times here is the updated information posted on the Carnival website...this should eliminate any confusion. It is pretty darn specific.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3180

It is pretty specific except for the fact that they forget to mention that it is more based on the ship than the port. I am sailing on the Magic in February of 2017 after it moves from Galveston to Orlando. I decided to start the online check-in just to see if everything was the same as my upcoming Breeze trip. For the Magic trip I am required to choose the check-in time. I would expect that this is the same for the Triumph after it moves from Galveston as well, but I do not know for sure. Hopefully some one else that has a booking on the Magic or the Triumph after they leave Galveston can confirm.

It is pretty specific except for the fact that they forget to mention that it is more based on the ship than the port. I am sailing on the Magic in February of 2017 after it moves from Galveston to Orlando. I decided to start the online check-in just to see if everything was the same as my upcoming Breeze trip. For the Magic trip I am required to choose the check-in time.

At the very beginning of the FAQ they say:

Carnival Freedom, 11/12/15 and onwards

Carnival Triumph, 11/14/15 and onwards

Carnival Magic, 11/15/15 and onwards

I took the "onwards" to mean - from now on. The only reason they would put this on there is to imply that when the ships dance, this program would go with the ship.

At least that was my take on it when I read it.

Bob

At the very beginning of the FAQ they say:

Carnival Freedom, 11/12/15 and onwards

Carnival Triumph, 11/14/15 and onwards

Carnival Magic, 11/15/15 and onwards

I took the "onwards" to mean - from now on. The only reason they would put this on there is to imply that when the ships dance, this program would go with the ship.

At least that was my take on it when I read it.

Bob

I took it the same way which is why I checked my sailing, but many people will not take it that way because the bold print states that it is only Galveston. It will probably be a moot point anyway, because it will not surprise me to see the policy implemented at many other ports before 2017

My husband and I are on the thanksgiving cruise on the Triumph and we had to pick a check in time. But if you have the FTTF, carnival transfer or a VIP you can get to the pier at anytime you check in time doesn't matter. Which whats the point. I will let you know how it goes when we get back. We do have the FTTF and are using the carnival transfers from the airport.

Since there has been so much speculation about the new check-in times here is the updated information posted on the Carnival website...this should eliminate any confusion. It is pretty darn specific.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3180

Thanks for posting. I am not sure what some people do not understand. The letter and the FAQ on the website is very specific.

Exactly!

If your ship is moving, then it applies to the sailings from the new home port as well.

But how about in reverse? As in the Breeze is moving to Galveston next year. We'll be on her in August and there is no ability to pick a check-in time for that cruise as of right now. So will the Breeze have this out of Galveston when she gets there? We have FTTF so it's moot for us, but just curious nonetheless.

But how about in reverse? As in the Breeze is moving to Galveston next year. We'll be on her in August and there is no ability to pick a check-in time for that cruise as of right now. So will the Breeze have this out of Galveston when she gets there? We have FTTF so it's moot for us, but just curious nonetheless.

Since the pilot is starting in Galveston, it seems like it only applies to ships moving from there. But by the time you leave, it could be rolled out to every port/ship by then. I would just check my online checklist daily to see if it's been added. You'll still need to pick a time even having fttf.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

They seems to contradict themselves:

Q: When should I arrive at the terminal?

A: You must arrive at the cruise terminal within the 30 minute check-in window you selected.

But then they say:

Q: What happens if I arrive... after my designated check-in time?

A: Guests who arrive after their designated check-in time will be accommodated.

So the first answer is actually wrong. You only have to arrive at or after your designated time. That being the case, most will just pick the earliest time available to maximize their options of when to show up.

I don't see how telling people to come back later is going to work though. Their cab is gone, they have no where else to go, they have all their baggage with them so it's not really viable to go out in town and waste time, so they will wait at the curb. Carnival won't like that one bit, but what else do you expect them to do? And what can Carnival do to stop them, have them arrested for loitering or something?

They seems to contradict themselves:

Q: When should I arrive at the terminal?

A: You must arrive at the cruise terminal within the 30 minute check-in window you selected.

But then they say:

Q: What happens if I arrive... after my designated check-in time?

A: Guests who arrive after their designated check-in time will be accommodated.

So the first answer is actually wrong. You only have to arrive at or after your designated time. That being the case, most will just pick the earliest time available to maximize their options of when to show up.

I don't see how telling people to come back later is going to work though. Their cab is gone, they have no where else to go, they have all their baggage with them so it's not really viable to go out in town and waste time, so they will wait at the curb. Carnival won't like that one bit, but what else do you expect them to do? And what can Carnival do to stop them, have them arrested for loitering or something?

You are given a check-in time. If you arrive early you are "thumbing your nose" at the system...do people think this is the honorable thing to do as a "guest" of the cruiseline. I have been on many a cruise where those who arrive prior to published boarding times have been lined up on the sidewalks (without food or water unless they bring it) and that is where they wait until they are invited to proceed into the terminal.

No system is infallible...especially when people don't abide by it. But to say "it won't work" because some people are forever selfish and don't think the process includes them is just a cop out to discredit a system before it is even tried.

Carnival attempted to make this a voluntary process and that, apparently didn't work so now they are playing hardball. Their choice, their ship.

You are given a check-in time. If you arrive early you are "thumbing your nose" at the system...do people think this is the honorable thing to do as a "guest" of the cruiseline. I have been on many a cruise where those who arrive prior to published boarding times have been lined up on the sidewalks (without food or water unless they bring it) and that is where they wait until they are invited to proceed into the terminal.

No system is infallible...especially when people don't abide by it. But to say "it won't work" because some people are forever selfish and don't think the process includes them is just a cop out to discredit a system before it is even tried.

Carnival attempted to make this a voluntary process and that, apparently didn't work so now they are playing hardball. Their choice, their ship.

I agree with you for the most part, but I don't even consider this hard ball. Those cruisers who are emphatic about getting onboard as soon as they possibly can already know what they need to do in order to make that happen. Carnival has several groups that are excluded from having to abide by the time slots yet that's still not good enough. I really don't understand what the major big deal is.

Can anyone tell me how to get to the point of selecting a time? I tried to do it for my vista cruise, it is not an option. Is it not an option because they haven't implemented it (obviously)?

If your sailing is part of the new process, you'll be able to see it as part of the online check-in process. It's the first thing showing after the names of the folks in the cabin. I don't know of any Vista sailing that would be included at this point.

Not always. Someone can fly in the morning of the flight, and would of course go straight to terminal. Where else are they going to go? Check out time at hotel is 10:00. Where else are they going to go? 5 hour drive to port morning of departure with a1:00 check in time? They will leave long before 8:00 to make sure they don't miss the ship, and will most likely arrive long before 1:00, with no where else to go.

In fact, I can almost guarantee that EVERYONE with the last couple of check in times will arrive quite a bit early for their time, thinking if they arrive early as planned, they will just wait. But, if they plan to arrive just on time, and something happens, they might miss the ship.

That said, I don't have a problem with check in times. Everyone can't board at the same time, no matter the system. But, they do need to have a place for lots of people to wait who arrive at the port early. Of course, this is what the post check in waiting room is supposed to be for.

My thought is that they should have staggered BOARDING times. You check in when you get ti there, regardless of boarding time. But, if your boarding time is 1:00, and you get there at 10:00, you will have a VERY long wait after check in. This way, no one is standing out in the street, and passengers will be rewarded for planning on arriving at the proper time with a short wait to board. This way, those that CAN plan to arrive at their assigned time will do so. Those that can't help but to arrive early won't be unduly punished, but not rewarded, either.

Not always. Someone can fly in the morning of the flight' date=' and would of course go straight to terminal. Where else are they going to go? Check out time at hotel is 10:00. Where else are they going to go? 5 hour drive to port morning of departure with a1:00 check in time? They will leave long before 8:00 to make sure they don't miss the ship, and will most likely arrive long before 1:00, with no where else to go.

In fact, I can almost guarantee that EVERYONE with the last couple of check in times will arrive quite a bit early for their time, thinking if they arrive early as planned, they will just wait. But, if they plan to arrive just on time, and something happens, they might miss the ship.

That said, I don't have a problem with check in times. Everyone can't board at the same time, no matter the system. But, they do need to have a place for lots of people to wait who arrive at the port early. Of course, this is what the post check in waiting room is supposed to be for.

My thought is that they should have staggered BOARDING times. You check in when you get ti there, regardless of boarding time. But, if your boarding time is 1:00, and you get there at 10:00, you will have a VERY long wait after check in. This way, no one is standing out in the street, and passengers will be rewarded for planning on arriving at the proper time with a short wait to board. This way, those that CAN plan to arrive at their assigned time will do so. Those that can't help but to arrive early won't be unduly punished, but not rewarded, either.[/quote']

Some terminals don't have indoor accommodations for 4000 passengers.

And it isn't up to Carnival to process early arrivals...and why should people who show up at their stated times have to stand in line behind a whole slew of unauthorized passengers who can't follow the rules. If you want early boarding sign up early or buy FTTF or sail enough that you are entitled to platinum diamond perks.

What happens when a larger groups or a tour bus/es shows up with 50/100+passengers are past their 30 min window? Then is the current time group left waiting outside while accommodating the late bus? That is not really explained. As a guest being told sorry, thank you for showing up at the time we made you select but now you have to wait 30 or more minutes longer...because we are accommodating late guests. That will be awesome way to start your cruise.

I seem to notice mostly two groups of people those that are on-time or early types to work are likely to be the same on vacation. Then those that run the red light weave in traffic to try and get to get to work close to being on-time hoping their boss won't catch them. What time you think the second is going to be taking and then showing up? LOL.

Some terminals don't have indoor accommodations for 4000 passengers.

And it isn't up to Carnival to process early arrivals...and why should people who show up at their stated times have to stand in line behind a whole slew of unauthorized passengers who can't follow the rules. If you want early boarding sign up early or buy FTTF or sail enough that you are entitled to platinum diamond perks.

And if you're a regular working family that can't take 75 vacation days to reach Platinum and can't know many months in advance when they can miss work, and FTTF is sold out? :confused:

Honestly, I will probably always manage to snag a decent time and eventually will be platinum, but I'm concerned about the practical aspects of how this can be strictly enforced without making too many guests unhappy and without making the whole process a bigger mess than before. As PrincessArlena'sDad said, there are many reasons that guests arrive early that have nothing to do with thumbing their nose at anyone. If you need to have enforced times, staggered boarding would at least discourage more people from arriving before their time while avoiding the awkwardness of people milling outside the terminal for an hour.