Info for Galveston check-in

Sweet Dutch Girl

I picked a check in time for our 2/13/16 Triumph cruise, but the option wasn't there yet for our 10/30/16 Breeze Cruise, FWIW.

Thank you so much for the heads up! 😆

I just checked for our June 2016 Breeze cruise out of Galveston...no check-in time option...yet.

But I really don't care. We usually get there about 12:30pm or so and have never taken more than 25 minutes to get on the ship (only 3 cruises so far). If they told us not to show up until 3pm...no big deal.

What happens when a larger groups or a tour bus/es shows up with 50/100+passengers are past their 30 min window? Then is the current time group left waiting outside while accommodating the late bus? That is not really explained. As a guest being told sorry, thank you for showing up at the time we made you select but now you have to wait 30 or more minutes longer...because we are accommodating late guests. That will be awesome way to start your cruise.

I seem to notice mostly two groups of people those that are on-time or early types to work are likely to be the same on vacation. Then those that run the red light weave in traffic to try and get to get to work close to being on-time hoping their boss won't catch them. What time you think the second is going to be taking and then showing up? LOL.

Everyone can think up a hundred what ifs including what happens if the previous cruise comes in late. Why is anyone "worrying" about "other" passengers. The point is to arrive during your window and Carnival will do their best to accommodate you. If the process doesn't work and causes more confusion than the hordes now arriving in mass Carnival will just have to go back to the drawing board.

Everyone can think up a hundred what ifs including what happens if the previous cruise comes in late. Why is anyone "worrying" about "other" passengers. The point is to arrive during your window and Carnival will do their best to accommodate you. If the process doesn't work and causes more confusion than the hordes now arriving in mass Carnival will just have to go back to the drawing board.

Worrying about "what ifs" is the very thing that SHOULD be done when evaluating a possible procedural change.

Here's another, "what if" (just because you asked ;) )

Lots of people show up late AND lots of people show up early. The result? Lots of people waiting outside the terminal waiting for their time, and no one inside the terminal boarding the ship!

Worrying about "what ifs" is the very thing that SHOULD be done when evaluating a possible procedural change.

Here's another' date=' "what if" (just because you asked ;) )

Lots of people show up late AND lots of people show up early. The result? Lots of people waiting outside the terminal waiting for their time, and no one inside the terminal boarding the ship![/quote']

That's why people should do as asked and pick a time then show up at that time. The exclusions should come at their leisure as instructed.

Things happen with the best laid plans. If a large group traveling together shows up later than scheduled, I'm sure Carnival has a way of tending to them just as they do now whether they show up on time or not.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

What happens when a larger groups or a tour bus/es shows up with 50/100+passengers are past their 30 min window? Then is the current time group left waiting outside while accommodating the late bus? That is not really explained. As a guest being told sorry, thank you for showing up at the time we made you select but now you have to wait 30 or more minutes longer...because we are accommodating late guests. That will be awesome way to start your cruise.

Actually, I don't think this is what would happen. It says those that arrive later than their schedule time will be "accommodated." While they are promising that those that arrive after their schedule check in time (but at least 1 hr before departure) won't miss the ship, this does not imply they will be checked in right away. I think it means they will be told to wait until a slowdown, and then be allowed in. This would have the benefit of getting people to pick an accurate check in time, as oposed to just the earliest available.

Therefore, if you arrive early, you will be told to come back. If you arrive late, you will be "accommodated," meaning you will have to wait.

I just realized something. They are now making a big point about having your boarding pass with check in time with you upon arrival (paper or mobile), and if you are early, you will be told to "come back." Does this mean that they will be checking while in your car, as you arrive at the port parking lot/drop off area? And, if you are early, will they have the car/shuttle/cab turn around and leave, and not let anyone out of the vehicle? I don't want to contemplate the headache this could cause.

So, we have a stick if you arrive early, a stick if you arrive late, and an apple if you arrive in your half hour window. But, when you have people with complicated or long travel plans coming to a city they probably do not know well, if at all, a half hour window is too short a time for people to know how to plan properly. I would wager that a large percentage of passengers will arrive outside the window, one way or another.

Edited by PrincessArlena'sDad

Not sure but I am 110 days out and I picked mine last week when I got the email.

I cruise on Magic next month and have yet to receive the email.

Thanks to this thread, I went ahead and selected my check-in time today, and got the earliest check-in time since I'm flying in a day ahead.

Most of the criticisms I have seen seem to believe that some executive-level guy/gal just woke up one morning and pulled this plan out of their backside and didn't think this through. I'd like to think they have done a little bit of planning here. After all, I am trusting them to get me out and back safely, so I'd like to think they CAN plan ahead.

Will there be issues? Of course. That's why this is a pilot program in one port only. Work out the kinks with one port before rolling it out across the board. Will there be changes to the program? I expect there will be. Maybe even a complete scrapping of the plan. That's what a "pilot" program is all about.

We all seem to be doing a lot of hand-wringing over what "could" happen. Let's see what happens. It is likely that all the miserable predictions will only be visited upon the first dozen or so cruises, if at all. At that point (a) adjustments will be made, making it better; (b) passengers will adjust to the new system, making it better; or © it will go away, making it better.

Most of the criticisms I have seen seem to believe that some executive-level guy/gal just woke up one morning and pulled this plan out of their backside and didn't think this through. I'd like to think they have done a little bit of planning here. After all, I am trusting them to get me out and back safely, so I'd like to think they CAN plan ahead.

Will there be issues? Of course. That's why this is a pilot program in one port only. Work out the kinks with one port before rolling it out across the board. Will there be changes to the program? I expect there will be. Maybe even a complete scrapping of the plan. That's what a "pilot" program is all about.

We all seem to be doing a lot of hand-wringing over what "could" happen. Let's see what happens. It is likely that all the miserable predictions will only be visited upon the first dozen or so cruises, if at all. At that point (a) adjustments will be made, making it better; (b) passengers will adjust to the new system, making it better; or © it will go away, making it better.

Everything you said is completely true...

Except the hand-wringing is what makes all of this fun :p

So let the hand-wringing continue! ;)

Way to bring a thread to a halt!!! FUN HATER:) I just popped my bowl of popcorn, now what am I supposed to do???

IMO only 10-15% of cruisers even look at Cruise Critic , so those of us here , will have a hand up , knowing the rules of this before arriving to port. Think of how many will show up as usual , never paying attention to their boarding times .

IMO only 10-15% of cruisers even look at Cruise Critic , so those of us here , will have a hand up , knowing the rules of this before arriving to port. Think of how many will show up as usual , never paying attention to their boarding times .

I think you are giving CC way too much Credit. No one I cruise with even knows this site exists and someone just called me to ask if I was affected by the new boarding at Galveston since their TA had just called them about it. People aren't quite as naive as they seem to be portrayed on CC, and have resources to keep them updated on their cruises. Some even read the information put out by Carnival directly.

You're right. I would say the percentage is less. We have 12 cabins booked on our next cruise. Only 3 newbies. Everyone else has cruised least as much as me or more and on various lines. I'm the only one who subscribes to any social media regarding cruises. Most people are not sitting around obsessing over check in times.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Way to bring a thread to a halt!!! FUN HATER:) I just popped my bowl of popcorn, now what am I supposed to do???

But I hear that with the new format, they are going to let the FTTF board at the same time as platinum and diamond and, gasp, sit in their waiting room.

Pop...pop....pop....

(This is completely made up)

Edited by kbanowsky

Funny just today I paid off my Feb. cruise. I happen to ask about Carnival rolling out this trial boarding times and the agent that took my payment didn't know anything about it. Sometimes I think man I am on here way to much (maybe once a day) just reading post. But there is lots of good information thanks "all of y'all"!

This will never work. You can drive to the same port 10 times and every time you will arrive at different times. How do I know this! After 18 cruises out of New Orleans and Galveston ,two out of mobile (where we stayed in a motel 15 mins away)

We arrived in New Orleans one Sunday when they had the whole city tied up in knots for a race. The freakin police couldn't even tell you how to get to the port. They would send you here there and back again. Anyway this is another story. So it took an extra HOUR.

Once we parked at Fulton garage and it was wait wait and more wait for shuttle.another time a wreck blocked traffic and shuttle had to drop us off with us walking several blocks. Another trip, two bad wrecks stopping traffic on poydras and another on interstate. Keep in mind we are on a good day 1 hr. 15 mins.- 1 1/2 hr from New Orleans .

We would leave port neches,tx (staying with family) and make a nice quick ride to Galveston. Knew how long it took. Well once we nearly missed the ship because the men loading the ferry would let the 10 miles of traffic load first, before the people that has been sitting parked in their car waiting to load.

Ok, needless to say the list goes on to cray stories.

Goodness when I go to Baton Rouge for appointments it may take 20 mins. Or an hour and 20 mins. Sad when you leave way early days nearly arrive late. Many times leave way early and sit for over an hour because no problems with traffic. Thank goodness they let us sit in waiting room for an hour.lol

I think the same crack heads that design our roads here in Louisiana are the one that makes up plans like when to arrive at a cruise terminal arriving by car, bus and plain from all over the place.

I am so happy for the people that live in a perfect world that you,can arrange your perfect arrival time and not have a problem.

I have priority boarding so not an issue, just saying this mess want work.

I checked in for my March Magic cruise and picked my boarding time (10:30-11:00) with no problem. Since this boarding program is supposed to transfer with the ships as they leave Galveston, I went ahead and checked in for my July Triumph cruise from NOLA so I could get an early boarding time, but it didn't give me any boarding options. It was the just the regular check in process I've always done in the past. I'm guessing they haven't updated all the cruises that far out yet???

Funny just today I paid off my Feb. cruise. I happen to ask about Carnival rolling out this trial boarding times and the agent that took my payment didn't know anything about it. Sometimes I think man I am on here way to much (maybe once a day) just reading post. But there is lots of good information thanks "all of y'all"!

I am not surprised that the agent you spoke with didn't know about it. However, had you called back 10 minutes later you probably would have gotten a different answer. You will get a different answer every time you call. That is why I use a PVP so I don't have to deal with the phone reps.

I checked in for my March Magic cruise and picked my boarding time (10:30-11:00) with no problem. Since this boarding program is supposed to transfer with the ships as they leave Galveston, I went ahead and checked in for my July Triumph cruise from NOLA so I could get an early boarding time, but it didn't give me any boarding options. It was the just the regular check in process I've always done in the past. I'm guessing they haven't updated all the cruises that far out yet???

Yeah, picking the time slot is completely painless. Hopefully the implementation will be equally painless.

It seems that some of the Magic (and only the Magic) bookings have mysteriously disappeared off of the cruise manager. Have you checked yours today? Strange that it only seems to be effecting the Magic. Hopefully it is just a easily remedied glitch and when they reappear nothing will have been lost.

Edited by dragonclaw74

Yeah, picking the time slot is completely painless. Hopefully the implementation will be equally painless.

It seems that some of the Magic (and only the Magic) bookings have mysteriously disappeared off of the cruise manager. Have you checked yours today? Strange that it only seems to be effecting the Magic. Hopefully it is just a easily remedied glitch and when they reappear nothing will have been lost.

I just checked, and all my info is there. It's strange to check your cruise details and see a boarding time listed right below your dining time! :) Hope your cruise info shows back up soon.

It's not just the Magic. A lot of folks on my Triumph cruise in January also lost the booking off the manager. Carnival says the cruises are fine, just that they aren't showing up on our cruise manager.

I wonder if it has to do with the new "check in time" change on their database???:eek:

Bob

This will never work. You can drive to the same port 10 times and every time you will arrive at different times.

I am so happy for the people that live in a perfect world that you,can arrange your perfect arrival time and not have a problem.

And it was said in 1967 that man would never reach the moon, no matter how many scientific advances were made.

There are 6 million stories in the naked city... And everyone has a terrific scenario whereby people won't be able to make their window. Some of the fixes for that are built into the system.

Sure, traffic was horrible and we were an hour late getting to the terminal. So what? You can always arrive LATER than your assigned time, just not early. People think you have to arrive within the 1/2 hour window. Nope, just not before it.

But traffic was light and we got to the port earlier than we planned. No problem. There is a Starbucks or a McDonalds every 500 feet. Have a cup of coffee and a Danish and kill a little time.

But we had to check out of the hotel... Sure, at 11:00 am. The first time block for check in is 10:30 - 11:00 and the second one is 11:00 - 11:30. So you have 2 time blocks to choose from where you can check out of your hotel and go straight to the port. PLUS, many of the hotels in Galveston which have shuttles also have time blocks for those shuttles. You can just choose the time block for your shuttle that corresponds with your check in time block. Those hotels are VERY much aware that folks are gonna hang around until their shuttle time.

But our flight gets in at the butt crack of dawn and we want to go straight to the port. Well, since I have never been on a ship that allowed boarding before 10:30 or 11:00, you are going to sit on a hard chair and wait somewhere. Wait at the airport and THEN come to the port. Is there really that much difference where you wait?

And finally, if people are so concerned about not knowing when they will be able to arrive, then just pick the earliest time blocks. They are NO different than regular boarding times on the ships I have sailed. In Long Beach it is a RARE occasion if even the priority folks board before 11:30 (it's usually closer to noon). That's 3-4 time blocks (if this program were to be instituted in Long Beach). And if you miss your window on the late side, then you are just fine.

Nothing will ever work if everyone predetermines it will fail. If we actually give it shot at succeeding, we might be surprised at how smoothly boarding processes can go.

Some people see the glass as half empty. Some people see the glass as half full. I see the glass as ready for more rum.

Bob