Shipboard Library Donations

CapCrunch

Actually. Many ships have an assigned librarian. Although not there all day, the hours are usually posted.

I spend a lot of time in ship libraries and have often seen a libriarian checking in books, reshelving returned books and misshelved books. This has been true on HAL, on Oceania, and on NCL.

I have had ship librarians answer questions for me and help me find a book.

I have never seen a librarian on Oceania

A crew member is assigned to restock the books left on the tables etc..

often times not very orderly

Edited by LHT28

Books is books and we all love them. So:

Libraries onboard = GOOD

Staffed libraries onboard = BETTER

Libraries onboard staffed by a professional librarian = BEST (more jobs for us!)

I readily believe the larger ships have some library staffing and whether clerical, professional or paraprofessional, most of us are called to the work because of fundamental associative values having to do with hard or soft covers, dust jackets, French flaps, the smell of old books, deckled edges, good stories, love of words and a profound appreciation for the written word and the progress of humankind.

Edited by OctoberKat

You really need to check out some other ships' libraries. Many of Holland America's are quite extensive - the Prinsendam probably has the best.

And yes, they accept donations and some are even signed or marked who they are donated by.

Here you will find Travel, Science, Biography, Non Fiction, Fiction, etc. There are 1,000's of books and in fact on that ship, the library is really two rooms - that many books. It's pretty hard NOT to find something worth reading there if you are so inclined.

There is even a reference section with tons of travel info, etc and of course, like any reference section, the books may not leave the library.

How many credentials the librarian has I don't know, but there is no question the ones I have experienced have expertise in libraries and not the internet (which is what they also do).

Thank you for this, good to know.

The library on the Crystal Symphony is fantastic - books, CD's, videos, magazines - and there are library hours and they are checked out. Great selection, very nice. Lots of sea days so I got the CD for Green Acres! Loved it....nothing I have seen is even close.

Actually. Many ships have an assigned librarian. Although not there all day, the hours are usually posted.

I spend a lot of time in ship libraries and have often seen a libriarian checking in books, reshelving returned books and misshelved books. This has been true on HAL, on Oceania, and on NCL.

I have had ship librarians answer questions for me and help me find a book.

I stand corrected as I have only sailed RCI. But I too would like this job! :D

You really need to check out some other ships' libraries. Many of Holland America's are quite extensive - the Prinsendam probably has the best.

And yes, they accept donations and some are even signed or marked who they are donated by.

Here you will find Travel, Science, Biography, Non Fiction, Fiction, etc. There are 1,000's of books and in fact on that ship, the library is really two rooms - that many books. It's pretty hard NOT to find something worth reading there if you are so inclined.

There is even a reference section with tons of travel info, etc and of course, like any reference section, the books may not leave the library.

You will probably enjoy the library on Oceania they have a large collection of a variety of books

I do prefer the R -ship library

open 24/7

Lyn

You will probably enjoy the library on Oceania they have a large collection of a variety of books

I do prefer the R -ship library

open 24/7

Lyn

thanks Lyn

I will be checking it out ;) I always bring something but am used to finding something on the ships that intrigue me. Looking forward to it ;)

thanks Lyn

I will be checking it out ;) I always bring something but am used to finding something on the ships that intrigue me. Looking forward to it ;)

I travel loaded for readerly bear as well but am easily swayed by a book on the shelf.

thanks Lyn

I found some new authors to read by just browsing the trade shelves

Enjoy the cruise

Lyn

I bring a few - and leave a few - especially on Celebrity Solstice - worst library at sea - so anything will help...

JK

I agree that the Solstice library was very ordinary.

I ended up going to a second hand book shop at a port stop and buying a novel.

The upside was it was an author I had never read and loved her work

The library on other much smaller ships are better than the Solstice.:confused:

A few sea-worthy anthologies for those so inclined when voyaging:

Stories of the Sea (Everyman's Library Pocket Classics)

edited by Diana Secker Tesdell

http://amzn.com/0307592650

Poems of the Sea (Everyman's Library Pocket Poets)

edited by J. D. McClatchy

http://amzn.com/0375413294

Sea Lovers: Selected Stories

edited by Valerie Martin

http://amzn.com/0385533527

American Sea Writing: A Literary Anthology (Library of America)

Edited by Peter Neill et al.

http://amzn.com/1883011833

I'll be bringing a copy of each aboard for reading during our 18 day cruise from Barbados to Brazil, then up the Amazon to Manaus returning back to Barbados. At voyage end, I intend to slip these tomes into whatever library may be aboard Silversea's Whisper ... with a modest modicum of subversive delight.

Edited by OctoberKat