Has anyone ever done speciality rest. on the first night?

flagger

Looking at the recently posted menus from a Summit 11 night cruise and they being exactly the same as we had on Infinity 2004 cruise, I am wondering if anyone has eaten in the specialty restaurant on the first night of the cruise? Pros and Cons of doing so?

The night we ended up going ended up having a dinner we wished we hadn't missed in the Trellis. Of course, we might just go on the second formal night since Lobster Tails and silly Baked Alaska parades really are not our thing.

Flagger - I think the pros to eating in the specialty restaurant on the first night would be that you could easily get a good time and it wouldn't be crowded so the staff would focus even more on you; the cons would be that you wouldn't meet your tablemates and waiter in the main dining room. We always look forward to the first night and meeting our new tablemates for the cruise. We always wear a jacket on board so we'd be dressed appropriately, but we know not everyone dresses up for boarding. :rolleyes:

flagger,

i have done it the last 4 cruises on the constellation.Since the departure is 11pm it is open seating(which i dont care for) It is relaxing,quieter and makes you feel like you really started a truly 5 star vacation.(oh well there goes my secret)

the cons:since it was a 11pm departure...you had to be seated by 730pm because the life boat drill is 10pm and everyone had to attend. Make sure you carry-on semi-formal outfit(some people find this a nuisance on embarkation day). The menu was a bit more limited(couldnt get the chocolate soufflee) Trying to get a pre-cruise reservation was a struggle considering celebrity said it was closed. You should have no problem after you board.

have fun

*sweet*

Flagger,

We have done it a few times. On the late sail outs, we were not going to be at our normal table anyhow, so we liked it. It was also a relaxed dress night because many hadn't gotten their bags yet. They also let our 6 YO dine with us in the "wine cellar" the first night in case we couldn't get a sitter or the kid's program wasn't open. :)

Thsi is a good idea Flagger and one that had not occurred to us. We won't be meeting our table mates since the first night is open seating for our late-night departure. Also, this will allow us to ease into the cruise experience by having just a dinner among ourselves the first night.

yes spender they do expect you to dress up and tell you when you make the reservation onboard.

Its the dress code for the specialty restaurant on all nights and is enforced.It is easy to enforce when you are dealing with 40 passengers instead of 1900.

If you havent gotten your luggage then they may suggest you eat in the main dining room.

*sweet*

We are on the infinity 11-20-2005. It is our plan to go to our table and meet our table mates and have a drink with them.This will take maybe 1/2 hour. We will then go to the ss United States and have dinner. Their room will be very slow. It will give us a chance to talk to the staff and meet the room chef. We will dine at the ss United States about 5-6 times on the cruise and I find that the sooner you get to know the Chef and the staff the better things are. The staff likes to offer lots of different foods that are not on the menu when you are a repeat guest.

Garardo

Archived