Cruising on Carnival during Hannukah - Any events?

LMaxwell

So you can compare

LATKES. You'll be able to compare latkes. No idea where that word went. Oh, well.

We got a lot of money back on our Hawaii cruise of last year and would probably have done Carnival again but we wanted to go later to get rid of a few weeks of winter and a better chance of whale watching in Mauai.

But also to compare cruise lines.

We've sailed Princess 6-7 times out of San Pedro, Mexican Riviera and California Coastal

Can't guarantee the weather. They're predicting a strong El Niño. If that's the case your cruise might be a repeat and you'll miss Maui again. Princess tenders into Lahaina.

Edited by SadieN

LATKES. You'll be able to compare latkes. No idea where that word went. Oh, well.

But also to compare cruise lines.

We've sailed Princess 6-7 times out of San Pedro, Mexican Riviera and California Coastal

Can't guarantee the weather. They're predicting a strong El Niño. If that's the case your cruise might be a repeat and you'll miss Maui again. Princess tenders into Lahaina.

We shall see. Miracle had engine problems so they werent going to do the cruise they told us they would in any case.

Latkes should only be eaten right out of the fryer. Just about impossible to mass produce them and be any good.

We were on the Miracle's HI cruise last October. We had no problems mechanically. We had the same itin. Only late into Ensenada because we were late getting out of our last port due to two medical issues.

Isn't it part of tradition to be hit by a wooden spoon while 'stealing' them off the brown paper bags?

Edited by SadieN

We were on the Miracle's HI cruise last October. We had no problems mechanically. We had the same itin. Only late into Ensenada because we were late getting out of our last port due to two medical issues.

Isn't it part of tradition to be hit by a wooden spoon while 'stealing' them off the brown paper bags?

The feisty one strikes again:):)

• 1 month later...

Just back from the Inspiration 3 day. Celebrated the first night onboard. Candle lighting was at 5:30.

The Good ---

The Inspiration had a nice set up with latkes, apple sauce, sour cream, two bottles of Manischewitz, red and green apples, pears, and bananas. They also decorated the table with dreidels and (really good) chocolate gelt.

Carnival provided an actual pamphlet with the prayers and some songs.

The latkes tasted good with potatoes and onions but they looked like regular pancakes. lol (lots of latkes)

The Funny ---It was led by the ass't CD who had no idea (admittingly) what she was doing and several were telling her their own tradition. Mel the CD was excited for the chocolate. She misses the nightly chocolate.

The Bad ---

Last year on the Imagination the menorah was 'in the curve' of the staircase near the shore excursions desk. On the Inspiration it was placed in a dark corner, behind the chairs.

Edited by SadieN

Just back from the Inspiration 3 day. Celebrated the first night onboard. Candle lighting was at 5:30.

The Good ---

The Inspiration had a nice set up with latkes, apple sauce, sour cream, two bottles of Manischewitz, red and green apples, pears, and bananas. They also decorated the table with dreidels and (really good) chocolate gelt.

Carnival provided an actual pamphlet with the prayers and some songs.

The latkes tasted good with potatoes and onions but they looked like regular pancakes. lol (lots of latkes)

The Funny ---It was led by the ass't CD who had no idea (admittingly) what she was doing and several were telling her their own tradition. Mel the CD was excited for the chocolate. She misses the nightly chocolate.

The Bad ---

Last year on the Imagination the menorah was 'in the curve' of the staircase near the shore excursions desk. On the Inspiration it was placed in a dark corner, behind the chairs.

I just find it sad that they can't take the holiday seriously enough to make sure that the staff member in charge knows what to do. It's insulting. Why bother at all if they can't do it right? The blessings are not that difficult.

I just find it sad that they can't take the holiday seriously enough to make sure that the staff member in charge knows what to do. It's insulting. Why bother at all if they can't do it right? The blessings are not that difficult.

I was on the Victory for 1st night of Hannukah.

I am *not* insulted whatsoever that there is no staff member in charge that knows what to do.

If they are not Jewish / do not celebrate I would not expect them to know how to lead a short service. That is why Carnival gives the option for a guest lead service if anyone wants to do it.

They had a big menorah set up in the atrium.

They gave out a prayer booklet.

They had a table with applesauce, sour cream, potato pancakes (literally potato pancakes, they were NOT latkes), a nice fruit selection, and complimentary wine. The CD was there to greet people. Everyone had a good laugh about the potato pancakes. I thought they were good...just "different". I would expect the Arison family to pass down a better recipe!

It was a nice thing for the cruise line to do. I am glad they provided something for those that celebrate and were away from home. Everyone that attended was friendly and in good spirits. I can not imagine why anyone would be offended whatsoever.

Thank you Carnival for offering this for your guests.