Which cruise is best?

sdunham10

Okay....after more research I think I want to go to the South Pacific.....I love the beauty of the water and enjoy water sports immensely. Love to snorkel, SUP, kayak, and so on.

Anyone with experience on these cruises?

Thanks!

Wow! Lots of good thoughts....and so quickly! I guess I wanted to see if someone was super excited about a particular cruise but realize it depends on our interests and other things. Okay, one more question. From your experience, what cruise line would you suggest that is a bit better than the ones I indicated that would be worth the money?

I think I will go to a travel agent to get more info....(needless to say, I am the usual travel agent in the family...getting the best deals....etc.)

Will check back soon.

Thanks again!

Check out Paul Gauguin cruises and Windstar cruises with your travel agent for the South Pacific. They both cater to a more active demographic - or you can just relax. However, the South Pacific cruises are relatively more expensive and you have to consider what the airfare will likely be. We love Windstar and Paul Gauguin is on the bucket list - it's a special experience.

Right now Windstar is offering included air and hotel for Tahiti - definitely worth checking out.

Edited by Shorex

Okay.....so we finally picked our cruise and now settling on the actual cabin. We are going on a 9 day European cruise so we can add days at each end. We are going on the Celebrity line.

Here is the big question..... Is getting a cabin in the Aqua class or Concierge class worth it? I have read about each but just not sure.

Please help! I want to book this weekend as there are so many deals around.

Thank you!

I've cruised on Celebrity in the Med (Eclipse). The main reason to get Aqua class is if you want to eat at Blu - which is a healthy dining room - lower calorie meals prepared with less fat. It is mostly tables for 2 and quieter. If you are Aqua class you only eat at Blu or you can go to a specialty restaurant but not the MDR. You can see the Blu menus here:

http://www.beyondships.com/Celebrity-Solstice-menu-Blu.html

Then here are Celebrity's MDR menus:

http://www.beyondships2.com/celebrity-silhouette-main-dining-room-grand-cuvee-menus.html

If you prefer one set of menus over the other, then choose the type of cabin that goes to that dining room.

The spa on this class of Celebrity ship does not have a thalisotherapy pool, and also, on the Med cruise, you're going to be off ship all day almost every day, so not sure you would have time to use the spa at all. This is why I think your decision should be based on the dining option of Blu vs. the MDR.

As to concierge class - again, you are off the ship all day. What you get includes a bottle of sparkling wine at embarkation, daily canapés, upgraded toiletries, concierge service and some other amenities. Shrug...to me that is no big deal. I bring my own toiletries, preplan everything so don't really need concierge service, can get snacks at the buffet and buy my own sparkling wine. The Concierge Verandah is otherwise the exact same cabin/design/space as any other Verandah. Some people really like the concierge class perks, others could care less.

Here is a thread with more details about what you get in spa class vs. concierge class:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1511180

This is JMO, but since this is your 30th anniversary trip, this weekend I'd hunt for a good deal on a Sky Suite or a Suite Guarantee. With a Suite Guarantee, all the suites on these ships are nice, so it really doesn't matter which one you get. You would probably get a Sky Suite but there is always the chance you will get an even higher level suite.

Anyway good luck hunting for the best possible deal!

And very last question as it has been awhile since we sailed.....where is it best on the ship for a balcony? Thanks!

The best location is usually in the middle third of the ship - gets the least motion. However, you may prefer to be near the elevator banks that are at either end of this area. I would choose deck 10 or lower - you want to choose a cabin with cabins above AND below you for the quietest cabin. Incidentally, the Aqua class Cabins are considered to be in the WORST location on the entire ship for noise located as they are below open deck. One thing to consider is the bump out - I would tend to choose a cabin as far away from the bump out or on the center front of the bump out for privacy on my verandah. The verandah's on the back of this Solstice class of ship are larger, BUT, not private at all - there is a bar on the top deck that overlooks all of them.

I see you indicate you are off the ship so much.....so not sure if the suite is worth it.....it iis almost most double the regular cabin.

But you have pinpointed the reasons we will stick to a regular cabin. Save the money for our the trip before and after the cruise.

And then of course we get the state department cautioning people about traveling today. Ugh. What is the usual deposit refund. How far in advance must you pay?

Okay....we went a different direction to make it a bit more affordable and more to see.

We are going to (for sure,I promise) to the Mediterranean. I have heard that the western is a bit better...? Thoughts? Cruise lines..Celebrity? Or is it worth it going a step up to Holland line? Best ship in Celebrity? (The TA is leaning toward that one..)

Please give me your thoughts. I do not want to worry about drink packages or gratuities. Want them included.....

Thank again everyone.....I turn to you!

So, let me take a shot at this since we have done Aqua (and are doing it again within the next 4 days) and regular balconies. And we have done both in Europe. If you are doing a Solstice Class ship, the Aqua and Concierge cabins are identical to the regular balcony cabins except for some upgraded amenities in the cabin. We think Concierge is a total waste of money if it costs more then a regular cabin. But Aqua gets you assigned to Blu for dinner (and breakfast if you choose) as well as free access to part of the spa (which we have never used). But the location of Aqua cabins (many are right under the pool deck and shaded by the huge overhang from the pool deck) is really not worth any more money then a regular balcony.

So. in the case of Aqua is comes down to "what is Blu worth." For some folks it is worth zero since they prefer the MDR with its more expansive menu. For others (including moi) we like the intimacy of Blu and what we consider to be better service. Blu is also a good option for those that want a "2 top" table...since a majority of Blu tables are for 2 (but are pretty close to the next table. We personally put a value on Aqua of about $30 per passenger day....MAX! If you are asked to pay more then $30 you probably would be better off booking a regular balcony and using some of the savings to pay for a few of the alternative restaurants (try to negotiate a discount with the maitre d's)

As to suites, this is also a tough call. If the money has no or little meaning then we would book the largest available suite. But for most of us, the money does matter. Personally, we spend very little waking time in our cabin and a suite has no real use when you are asleep. So assuming we are only in our cabin about 3 hours a day (when awake) we would look at the additional cost per hour and say....you have got to be kidding! But others really love that extra space (perhaps they dream about it when sleeping). For the bigger suites you now get some extra benefits (i.e. Michaels and Luminae) which does make those balcony cabins more attractive. But in the final analysis it comes down to how much spending that extra money matters.

Hank

And then of course we get the state department cautioning people about traveling today. Ugh. What is the usual deposit refund. How far in advance must you pay?

Celebrity's cancellation policy is here:

http://www.celebritycruises.com/frequently-asked-questions#faq657

I personally have no issue going to Europe right now, in fact I was in Spain during the Paris attacks. And, I have Med cruise planned for next year that I haven't given a thought to changing. But, everyone has their own thoughts on the issue.

As to cabin selection you might want to go to the dedicated Celebrity board here on CC. People there can help you decide location on both classes of ships that Celebrity has. There is also permanent thread ("sticky") at the tip of the board relating to S class ship cabins where people have posted what they liked or disliked about specific cabins.

Which 9 day were you looking at? All three that I saw looked to be good choices.

Edited by buggins0402

I see you indicate you are off the ship so much.....so not sure if the suite is worth it.....it iis almost most double the regular cabin.

But you have pinpointed the reasons we will stick to a regular cabin. Save the money for our the trip before and after the cruise.

On most Med itineraries, there are at least 2 days at sea per week. We enjoy having a suite for those days, but a regular verandah cabin is very nice as well.

Don't worry too much about the state department warning yet. If you are really nervous buy "cancel for any reason" cruise insurance (check out insuremytrip dot com) and then you can cancel right up to the day of your trip, no problem. The cruise lines each have their own schedule of refunding deposits, but the cancel for any reason insurance overrides this. You can see Celebrity's policy here:

http://www.celebritycruises.com/frequently-asked-questions

IMO, on the ship you will be very safe. Off the ship, choose excursions that are not in major cities and stay off of public transportation by hiring local guides with a small van or car. For example, this is a special year at the Vatican, so I would avoid going there this year, not only because of the possible terrorists, but much more importantly because of the huge crowds that will be there. Even under normal circumstances the Vatican is wildly overcrowded. Instead go somewhere scenic on a private tour like Lake Bracchiano or Bomarzo or Villa Lante and Villa Farnese or Hadrian's Villa.

Once you go on one Med cruise, you will go back over and over again! They are just fabulous! I would just avoid being on a tour bus or taking public transportation. The other thing, my husband and I dress in business attire on trips in Europe and wear European walking shoes. We blend in like we are possibly working in whatever city we are in - either people on a business trip or people who are expats living there. We either speak the local language or keep our voices low so it is not apparent we are speaking English.

The other advice I want to give you is this: they always want to take you to see their churches and museums yes, they are interesting to some extent, perhaps go in one or two (although read up on the specific ones BEFORE you go so you know what you are looking at.) But DO try to spend more of your time actually experiencing the places you visit. If you go to, for example, Florence and go in the Uffizi Gallery, then that is all you will see in Florence. So think carefully about what you want to get out of your vacation and do some research first. To me, to experience a city, I like to see the buildings and always eat at a non-tourist restaurant. I have had some of the most amazing food of my life in Europe by doing this. Particularly in Italy, the food is among the best in the world, but what most people don't know is that until the late 1800's Italy was 20 different countries, each with their own cuisine! There really is no such thing as Italian food, the regions are defined by their cuisine. This will help you to know what to order and where:

http://www.rusticocooking.com/regions.htm

Many people we have met on cruises did not want to eat in a restaurant in the various European countries. Perhaps they were afraid of the expense or perhaps they were afraid they would not like the food or would get food poisoning, but we have had nothing but good to extraordinary experiences. From eating at a restaurant with a small farm out back - because I was polite to them and praised their food for the price of lunch, I got not only lunch, but a lesson in agriculture, a cooking lesson and they taught me how to make limoncello and orangecello.

Then I do some brief but focused shopping. Sometimes I will save up all year to buy what I am after - such as the year we went to Sorrento and Positano and bought a lot of Italian Pottery - which I use all the time. I had it shipped back to my home (no problem) and it all arrived intact. The people we were on a small van tour with were amazed when I came back to the van empty handed. They had no idea I had just bought several thousand dollars worth of pottery in a matter of 20 minutes and had it shipped to my home.

So think more about this trip as not necessarily doing what all the tourists do, but as an opportunity to fulfill your own personal interests.

Once in a while, I have found a suite for nearly as little as I would have paid for a verandah - that is why I was suggesting you hunt for a suite this weekend. To do that look at every online travel agency as well as the Celebrity website. Either the deals are out there or they are not. If not, get a verandah. IF you see a suite for only $500 more, then you might consider it. We wound up in a huge suite on Celebrity by me doing a lot of exhaustive searching. It was not easy to find, but it was a fantastic deal!

• 2 weeks later...

Okay....as I write on my thread....I have once again changed my mind for a location. What are your thoughts on Iceland? Has anyone been on a cruise that tours through Iceland? Or a land tour on Iceland and maybe a cruise.....from? What would be the closest port for a cruise? I think I have settled on this area. What months are the northern lights? I love all of your thoughts...