Locals? How is the flooding in Galveston

riseagain30

I am slated to leave out of Galveston on the 25th (this sunday) and I of course am tracking the weather. It shows it is going to pour down rain Saturday and Sunday. My question is, how easily does it flood in Houston and Galveston and how likely can a flood alter the plans of the cruise leaving out? I understand no one may really know, but I am just trying to be prepared and have an alternate plan if need be. Thank you...

Roy

Trying to predict area specific flooding problems in Southeast Texas is nearly impossible. The Houston/Galveston area covers a huge area and it is not unusual at all for some areas to have flooding problems while other areas get nothing.

As of now, the Houston area does appear to be in for a major rain event mainly Saturday and Sunday. Typically, the closer to the coast the more likely the rain, but this is not set in stone by any means (see paragraph one). When flooding does occur, it is typically not a widespread event, but more localized. Even though Galveston is on an island, it is still subject to street flooding. The typical flooding problem in the Houston area is that the freeways do not flood, but the side streets do, and the exits leading to them, are blocked. This can cause major backups on the freeways.

As of this writing, there are no weather warnings or watches for our area, but it is still early. It can make a difference which airport you are flying into; IAH or HOU. IAH is farther from Galveston, but that is not a deciding factor.

I am not a weatherman, but do follow weather more closely than most because, I guess, I was raised on a farm in Indiana so the weather was always important to our family.

My "go to place" for weather forecasts, and detailed ongoing information during weather events, is KHOU's Weather Forum. The folks that post there include a few nerds like me, but the majority are professional meteorologists that work for private weather companies, other other companies that depend on accurate forecasts. They not only post their own weather forecasts, but provide constant updates to all NWS information. There is no better place to go than this site. http://forums.khou.com/viewforum.php?f=2

Go to the site above and open "October 2015 - Pattern Change/Heavy Rainfall Possible" thread. This link will likely be at the top of the board since it is very activate now. No need to become a member of the forum. Just remember that if you open the thread as a non-member you will open the first post of the thread (posted late September), not the last which will have the most current information.

Of coarse there is always the NWS's website at the link below. It will give the current, and the weather forecast, for the Galveston area. Also of importance on this page is a link to the only NWS' Radar in Southeast Texas. Therefore, a good place to go if you want to see the weather conditions at whichever airport you will be arriving at. (IAH is in the northern part of the county, HOU is just south of downtown Houston.)

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Galveston&state=TX&site=HGX&textField1=29.3&textField2=-94.795&e=0#.VifJQ_mrRaQ

At this time, I recommend that you just monitor the web sites that I have provided, but especially the KHOU Forum, to keep up with the weather over the next 4-5 days.

Good luck, and I am sorry that you may run into weather problems. Us locals are looking forward to a reasonable amount of rain since it has not rained at my house, for example, for around 6 weeks (I live very close to IAH).

Wow I must say I really appreciate such a thorough reply to my question. I will check these sites out and follow them closely. I am actually driving from Oklahoma but my fiancé is flying in to Hou Saturday evening. Again, thank you for the reply, much appreciated.

Roy

I concur with sptrout.

Some of the streets in Galveston flood with very heavy rain, but always drain off. Harborside is one that is know to flood during a heavy downpour.

Since you are driving, just watch the weather. I assume you will be parking at the Port so, if raining heavily, come in to town via Broadway (continuance of Hwy 45) Take a left at 23rd st to enter port across Harborside. Drop luggage then go to parking lot.

Some streets flooded Monday due to heavy rain, but drained quickly and all were passable at all times.

TThere is no better place to go than this site. http://forums.khou.com/viewforum.php?f=2

The info in this forum referenced by sptrout is really not looking too favorable for this weekend. Especially for your Sunday arrival Riseagain. I don't know how coastal flooding will affect cruise operations but I can't imagine there is any possible way they can disembark the current passengers or get the new ones on if Harborside drive is flooded.

I don't like this helpless feeling but what are you going to do? Mother nature has her own ideas.

Thank you for the positive vibes Galveston Cruiser, I know I worry too much but this is a different experience for me. All the cruises I've gone to have had beautiful weather and no issues to consider at all.

Speaking of hurricane Ike, I was looking at Google Maps Earth the other day, and from I remember in visiting Galveston back before Ike, I remember there being several business/structures between Seawall Blvd and the water. Looks like they're all pretty much gone now. Am I misremembering, were there really not that many there or did Ike get them all?

The fishing piers, Murdochs, flagship hotel and Balinese room were damaged and/ or destroyed. The flagship pier has been rebuilt as the Galveston Historic Pleasure Pier, Murdochs is back as are the fishing piers. The Balinese room has not been rebuilt though there is talk of doing so. Everything else on Seawall Blvd. survived

The Flagship Hotel. That's the one we stayed in, seemed kind of run down anyway when were there. Which was probably in Oct 2000 give or take a year or two. Really enjoyed Galveston while I was there, although it was basically just overnight.

Looking forward to seeing it from the deck of the Triumph on Saturday. :)

Yeah thanks for the positive vibes. I am nervous about the rain but it is what it is. I think we'll be fine. A little delay never hurt anyone if that happens. We shall see, but I bet I get on my boat and have a good time. I don't need to be on the deck to drink fruity drinks. LOL

LOL, yeah I can skip the rum punch too. But the muster drill could get interesting if it's "raining sideways." LOL

EDIT TO ADD: Oh joy, I see the "Coastal Flooding Advisory" has been extended to Saturday night for the Galveston area. Meanwhile over on the Pacific side of Mexico, hurricane Patricia has strengthened into a category 5 and most models show it heading straight for Texas. Wonderful.

Edited by ghjcmo

Yes, we have a coastal flooding advisory due to the low pushing in from the Gulf. This is normal a few times a year. It has been extended through Sunday.

The storm on the west coast of Mexico is to move west north west, causing heavy rain in Texas - normal also with a storm. We need the rain, it will move through, it will not be a hurricane in Texas.

We don't need a hurricane to have heavy rain in Galveston and it is not rare. We are an Island, in the Gulf of Mexico and we get rain:eek: It passes through and the sun shines:D

Wow I must say I really appreciate such a thorough reply to my question. I will check these sites out and follow them closely. I am actually driving from Oklahoma but my fiancé is flying in to Hou Saturday evening. Again, thank you for the reply, much appreciated.

When are you driving to Houston/Galveston? which type of vehicle car,truck, SUV? I recommend when you and fiance when you get to Houston on Saturday night, stay in a hotel that is close to the cruise terminal as possible so it would be easier to get to the terminal in case it flood in the Houston/Galveston area. It may not really flood, but heavy rain may cause high water on some segment of the road, highway and feeder road which also cause heavy traffic delay.

Edited by StrikeEagle

Here is a website which shows traffic condition including high water, road closure, constructions around Houston area and I-45 heading toward Galveston. Also on that website there are list of live cams along the highways and roads so that you can see the current situation on that part of the highway/road.

http://traffic.houstontranstar.org/layers/

Edited by StrikeEagle

Yes, we have a coastal flooding advisory due to the low pushing in from the Gulf. This is normal a few times a year. It has been extended through Sunday.

I read a little more about it after I posted and I see it's more likely to flood during high tides. So it should work out.

It's just a different experience for me, I've been on several cruises, mostly out of FL and it's always been beautiful every time I've sailed. And I've planned for this for about 6 months and overcome a few hurdles to make sure I could go and then to watch all this unfold, seemingly at the last minute, well it makes one a little nervous. Especially when you're not familiar with coastal weather and tides and such.

And agree on the needing the rain. Wish some of it would come to MO, we got very dry late in the summer as well. Very unusually dry for October right now.

Well that map shows Harborside Rd as currently flooded.

It has rained here in couple of days .

I promise you it's not flooded . We live here.

In any event someone told you alternate route ,

Use it!!!

Besides if a lot of passengers are not checked in ,

The ship will wait and make appropriate decisions.

Edited by ssb

It has rained here in couple of days .

I promise you it's not flooded . We live here.

In any event someone told you alternate route ,

Use it!!!

Besides if a lot of passengers are not checked in ,

The ship will wait and make appropriate decisions.

I was just going by what the road condition map said and it definitely (as of last night) showed it as flooded. I presume it's more of a tidal thing than rain thing.

EDIT TO ADD: Perhaps they've not updated the map but I just checked and the TX DOT shows it as flooded. So I don't know what to tell you ssb, just going by what TX DOT is telling me.

Edited by ghjcmo

I hope they make changes. I don't see it being possible to travel down there.

Good morning riseagain,

Hope you have safe travels today. I don't know what's going on at the port. A local is telling me it's not flooded and TX DOT is telling me it is. There's nothing on Carnivals website so I'm going to get on my flight in a couple of hours and hope for the best.

That same map shows a LOT of flooding between you and Galveston. Be careful out there.

Well, it would be a miracle if it flooded because there has been NO rain!

Heavy rain is expected after 6pm tonight with most all moving east over the Sabine River into Louisiana on Sunday morning. But this "storm" has greatly dissipated.

There is flooding on the west end of the island due to high tides - let me rephrase that - water in streets.

That part of the island was never raised after the 1900 storm and is basically at sea level.

West End is a long way from the port.

BTW - live in mid-town 20 blocks from the port

This live cam shows partial of harborside (street going at an angle at the bottom) at the cruise terminal it does not look flooded at least for that part of harborside, on the right side of the live cam, there is an icon to switch to video, the live video showing some cars moving in both direction.

http://www.galveston.com/pier23cam/

This other live cam at this moment is pointing toward one segment of harborside near the terminal and it does not seem flooded. I can not talk about the rest of the harborside.

http://www.galveston.com/strandcam/

On that TXDOT map when it shows the color blue on that part of Harborside, put your cursor over it and click once and it shows "Due to the weather conditions. Harborside (SH 275) has\may have water across the roadway from 14th St. to 20th St. Motorist should proceed with caution."

May be they are saying that there was some highwater

Also here is the list of live cam around the galveston area

http://www.galveston.com/webcams/

Edited by StrikeEagle

I live in Houston, TX, as for as last night and currently right now (9:00 am) I haven't seen any rain at my house yet. The weather radar show heavy rain West of Houston and moving east toward Houston, it's going to hit Houston later on today.

riseagain30, since you are driving from OK, beside Houston and Galveston, you have a long way to drive down be aware of the weather and road condition on your long route, I have relatives who live in the Dallas area and they are saying it's been raining since last Thursday

This is a good local news weather forecast which cover the Houston/Galveston area. On the right handside of the web page there is a video of the weather forecast from the weather person, which he talks more about what's going on with the current weather

http://weather.click2houston.com/

Edited by StrikeEagle