Dentist on Board?

lacruiser

Yes and I am sure that dentists cruise too but they do not travel with their tools of the trade.....so just a peek with a simple diagnosis.....then what???

Believe he/she would not want to spend their much deserved vacation hunting for items to fix your teeth and risk their licence.....nope will not happen!

If a ship employs a dentist,why not a podiatrist, obstetrician, vascular surgeon, chiropractor and opthamologist.

Well the next port will have to do and that is your responsibility not the ships.

On an Azamara cruise a year ago, a fellow cruiser cracked her front tooth. The ship arranged for her to visit a dentist in Saigon who provided her with a temporary cap. She raved about the very modern dental office and the excellent care she received.

That's actually very reasonable, IMO.

Karen, a lot of people in California (and probably other western states) drive down to Mexico for dental work including dentures and implants. I never have, but since insurance doesn't cover much of the cost here, apparently it is much cheaper. :)

Karen, a lot of people in California (and probably other western states) drive down to Mexico for dental work including dentures and implants. I never have, but since insurance doesn't cover much of the cost here, apparently it is much cheaper. :)

Wow... did not know... thanks for the insight. :)

Alaska has ridiculously high cost for dental work and an article in our local paper interviewed people who took vacations to Mexico to get dental work, often a third to even a fourth of what it costs here. Many reported the dental care was great and a very good experience.

Thanks for all the interesting replies. I think I'll check out the dental cement and/or crown replacement kits to keep just in case.

The dentist we visited saw me without an appointment; we just walked in. She was lovely, spoke excellent English (which wasn't an issue since DH and I both speak Spanish), had a very modern office with the equipment I was used to seeing at my dental office in the states. She said that normally she would give me a temporary crown while the permanent one went to their lab for thorough cleaning, etc., but since time didn't permit she would re-cement it. When I got home my dentist said she'd done an excellent job. And, she refused to take ANY money at all! She finally accepted $20 to give to her receptionist!

Thanks for all the interesting replies. I think I'll check out the dental cement and/or crown replacement kits to keep just in case.

The dentist we visited saw me without an appointment; we just walked in. She was lovely, spoke excellent English (which wasn't an issue since DH and I both speak Spanish), had a very modern office with the equipment I was used to seeing at my dental office in the states. She said that normally she would give me a temporary crown while the permanent one went to their lab for thorough cleaning, etc., but since time didn't permit she would re-cement it. When I got home my dentist said she'd done an excellent job. And, she refused to take ANY money at all! She finally accepted $20 to give to her receptionist!

Just when you think there is no "good" people left in the world......experiences like this knock my pessimistic attitude right out of me:p

Very nice to know, and yes I am pleased for your outcome.

I Just pray I do never have to experience this.

Thanks for the post

Edited by Lionesss