Itinerary selection for first timer from L.A.?

mkkao924

We have cruised a few times, and this time we want to bring our parents (in their 60s) to cruise the first time.

Since we don't know if they will enjoy cruising, we want to start with something easier - thus departing from Los Angeles (where we live), and not too long (5 nights or less).

I remember my first cruise was 3 day Mexico cruise, and though it was a nice getaway trip, we were shocked by how many college young men onboard. I don't think our parents will enjoy going through the hallway, with the following scenario (which was what actually happened to us):

Like going into a college dorm, where all the doors are open, loud music coming from the room, and you have to squeeze through many people holding beer cup and yelling at you: "Hey man~ Let's Parrrrrrrrrty!"

That being said, can you recommend some itinerary that's suitable for us?:D

We've done a few Baja cruises on Carnival because of the convenience of sailing from the nearby port and also trying to squeeze in a quick cruise. But I do remember our cruise when I was pregnant (we had to do a quick cruise because of hubby's work schedule, not because of my condition, even though i was trying to save up vacation days to add to my maternity leave). It was Easter Weekend and the bars did a heavy business in beer sales.:rolleyes: And Easter was quite quiet as it was the day after Ensenada and many of the college kids were no doubt praying to the porcelain gods.

If you go on one of these short (Baja ones are usually 3 or 4 days), avoid between late February and late April. Colleges will have spring breaks sometime during that period. (if you really want to go further with this, look at the academic calendars for the various colleges in SoCal, but that's a lot of research).

You can go into a local travel agency (it won't cost you anything to do so and to even book with them) and see if they can find you a cruise leaving from LA, LB, or even SD. Maybe there's a happy medium between the Baja 3 & 4 day ones and the 7-day Mexican Riviera ones. Maybe look at what Princess and HAL are offering from those ports. (HAL has used SD in recent years and would attract less college kids).

Do the four day itin in the off season. Book cabins the more expensive cabins on Upper or Empress. The college kids like the cheap cabins. We've gone on many short Carnival cruises and this strategy has worked for us.

See if Princess is still doing the short cruises. They've cut back a bit doing these.

All the four day go to Ensenada. Princess will go to Santa Barbara or Catalina. Carnival goes to Catalina. Carnival uses the old Catalina ferries, so almost any mobility device can go ashore.

Do NOT go with Carnival...

Especially those short cruises with Carnival..."Party" atmosphere...A great cruise for my 30 year old nephew and his buddies, a terrible cruise for your parents...

From LA for a short cruise, look at the Princess selections...

Like the one we're taking next month on the Star Princess...Five relaxing nights...We leave San Pedro on a Friday afternoon...Saturday at Sea...Sunday at 1:00 pm, we pull into Cabo San Lucas...Overnight in Cabo and we leave 1:00 pm on Monday...Tuesday at Sea...and we arrive back in San Pedro Wednesday morning...

Princess does this one a few times a year...They also mix in a few three nighters to Ensenada...and some 4s and 5s that go to Ensenada and Catalina or Ensenada and Santa Barbara...

Atmosphere is not as wild as on Carnival...No screaming drunks running down the hallways at 2:00 am...

Good luck

I agree with Bruin Steve.

Short cruises are party ships. That is true of Carnival out of Los Angeles and other Florida Ports and also RCI out of Florida.

Look at a seven day cruise to Mexico.

Look at cruses out of Long Beach and San Pedro.

Keith

Allow me to again clarify something:

ANY short cruise on Carnival will have a "party atmosphere"...

Any 7 night cruise will be at least a little less so than a 3 or 4 nighter...But many of the 7 nighters on Carnival are not much better...

Carnival just tends to market itself as "Fun" and low prices...which attracts a lot of people looking for cheap and raucous...

Princess, on the whole is much less so...Though you might get some on a 3 night Princess cruise who are just there for a cheap party, the overall demographics are different than on Carnival--and your parents may fit in a lot better...So, if you can only get them away for a SHORT cruise at this time, out of LA, go with Princess. Princess does have some 5 nighters out of LA--like the one I am on November 20--that are sort of a compromise between that 3 night weekend party and a longer 7 night cruise...

There will still be plenty to do on the Princess cruise--it just won't be based as much on late night partying, noise and crowding as the Carnival cruise is.

I am guessing your parents would better appreciate seeing shows, having a drink in a quiet lounge, etc.

So, yes, ideally, take them on a 7 night cruise...BUT, if the idea is that they don't know if they will enjoy cruising and, therefore, insist on a short "audition", do that on PRINCESS...NOT Carnival...

Thanks everybody!

I think this is pretty much inline with my understanding. Right now we are looking at

1) NCL 5 night coastal from LA to Vancouver

2) Princess 5 night Mexico stopping at Catalina island and Ensenada.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Occasionally there are 3-5 day Mexico cruises on Holland America or Celebrity. The demographic is more upscale and older, and probably more suited to you and your folks. HAL also has regular 7 and 10 day cruises to PV, Mazatlan, and Cabo.

At the risk of stereotyping (and the shorter cruises tend to be different), HAL tends to be a 60+ crowd, though there's no shortage of "wild and crazy" seniors who refuse to grow old. Celebrity tends to be 40-60 and more "upscale trendy". Carnival is definitely a "booze cruise"....even my teenage son said "Some of the passengers are bad news!"

My personal perspectives, anyway...and the NCL and Princess are probably good picks though I have no experience with either.

Edited by kenish