CPAP info please

BonnieSte

No outlet near the head of bed. I plug mine in ,using an extension cord, by the vanity and bring a brightly colored duct tape to tape it down to the floor so we don/t trip on it.

so the length on the extension cord does not affect the machine? This is only my second night with one. Can you get distilled water on the ship?

Length of the ext. cord does not change the machine. Send a special needs request to Royal (easiest to call them or travel agent) and they will have a heavy duty extension cord and a gallon of water waiting in your room when you get there. If it doesn't show up, just tell the room attendant and they will get it for you. There is no charge, and it's an easy set up.

Extension cord length/use does not affect CPAP. I travel a lot for work and always carry extension cords in my bag. You can get distilled water but I just you bottled water when I travel - much easier.

thank you Aus30and Lisa. Very helpful. Bottled water is ok?

Bonnie:

If you fill out a "special needs Medical form" you will receive both the extension cord to plug into (and my cabin attendants always tape it down so no night tripping) and the distilled water your CPAP needs. I also carry a portable CPAP purifier that cleans the entire apparatus and runs on batteries (really convenient and does a great job of purifying the system)-- since I don't believe I am allowed to mention the device name--if you are interested email me at wmcmanes@att.net and I will tell name and website for same.

As others have stated, fill out a special needs form. On a cruise ship, they will provide a bottle of distilled water, however you do not really need it. The water from the facet on a cruise ship will work for the CPAP. The ship water is desalinated sea water. The desalination process produces water as pure/clean as distilled water. However, most people do not trust facet water, so the ship gives a bottle of distilled water.

Reality is the ship water is as pure as it gets.

Bonnie:

If you fill out a "special needs Medical form" you will receive both the extension cord to plug into (and my cabin attendants always tape it down so no night tripping) and the distilled water your CPAP needs. I also carry a portable CPAP purifier that cleans the entire apparatus and runs on batteries (really convenient and does a great job of purifying the system)-- since I don't believe I am allowed to mention the device name--if you are interested email me at wmcmanes@att.net and I will tell name and website for same.

I think you're not allowed to mention travel agents or other cruise websites.

I always carry a 25' extension cord in my CPAP case when I am traveling.

I also carry a 3 way plug.

DSCN9790.jpg

RCI will bend over backwards to help you but sometimes the "word" doesn't actually get to the guy on the ship who knows where the extension cords are.

Edited by Trainman-2

I am a Medical Technician and have a BiPap machine myself.

The units are fairly low power devices and will work fine with an extension lead.

The water in the machine is just for humidification. It does not need to be distilled water. I have always used normal tap water in mine. A small amount of lime scale will build up over time bit this is easy to clean out of the water chamber. It will be much the same as your kettle in the kitchen but less. So if you don't have a problem there your CPAP machine will also be OK. The desalinated water will be fine on board too. Even if it was hard water on board you would have to be on a very long cruise for it to be come an issue.

This is my chance to say "Don't sweat it!"

On some ships the outlet is just under the headboard behind mattress. And why they hide it there i don't know. Haven't been on adventure but other ships in that class have them.........................................RADICAL

Oasis class has outlets near the bed. Don't know about Quantum class. No other classes have outlets near the bed.

We were in 1700 on freedom, which is a big room, and the extension cord they provided was SO long. We hadn't thought about duct tape, so we just cleared it away each morning we we didn't trip on it.

Having the distilled water available is lovely. Just put in that request!

I think you're not allowed to mention travel agents or other cruise websites.

The poster said "since I don't believe I am allowed to mention the device name". Device that's a portable purifier for the CPAP. Not TA.

I've been on Freedom, Oasis, Liberty, and Harmony. I've gotten away without an extension cord every time. Just follow the phone line, should bring you to the closest one.

In regards to "Special Needs Medical Form", I've filled one out every time and every time I get an approved message only to show up in my room without the distilled water or cords. I usually just use bottled water instead of bugging my stateroom attendant about it.

The poster said "since I don't believe I am allowed to mention the device name". Device that's a portable purifier for the CPAP. Not TA.

Correct. I was wondering what it was and didn't feel like they couldn't mention it, as they said it wasn't allowed. I don't believe this is included in the restrictions of mentioning the name of a TA.

Bonnie:

Thanks Bill. I sent you an email. Can this form be filled out online?